Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 09:59 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts
Default First Trip

My first trip, if that's what it could be called considering its relative shortness, is summarized thusly:
To: Three legs, 70 miles @ 31.3 MPG, 37 miles @ 31.8 MPG, 103 miles @ 32.1 MPG.
Different routes to and from but most all driving in normal mode.
Overall impression: Car is an absolute joy to drive, very comfortable and stable. Unlike others who have commented here, I find the sound quality to be excellent. Of course this may be in comparison to the dismal "premium" upgrade that was in my 2015 Ghibli.
Only complaint: The road noise is excessive on anything other than very smooth road surface, especially from the rear tires. I don't know if this is the Continental tires or if the rear wheel wells may need extra sound deadening treatment. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
On the trip "to" at the 70 mile mark I was pulled for 15 MPH over, but the kind officer let me off with a written warning. As we were parting company he says: "Pretty car, how many horsepower?" I told him and was on my way--with a renewed speed awareness.
This satisfied my break-in mileage requirement and gives me a clear conscience to push it a little harder.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

I've learned that the car's trip info is generous. Real world figures didn't match up with what the car was telling me. Regardless, it has still done better than what the window sticker stated.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I've learned that the car's trip info is generous. Real world figures didn't match up with what the car was telling me. Regardless, it has still done better than what the window sticker stated.
I also noticed that the trip computer has been generous by about 1-2 MPG in my normal, everyday driving. I'm sorry I didn't write down the mileage at each fill-up so I could have gotten a precise reading. Next time. I don't really care, it's just a little game with me, like trying to make "damn good time."

Old 08-22-2018, 11:21 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Tests here on earlier models showed that the trip computer was generous by roughly 2mpg. But those are still very good numbers - indicates you're not driving 'spirited' enough, in spite of the warning.

Would be nice if you could add a signature line with your model/year in it.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJS
Tests here on earlier models showed that the trip computer was generous by roughly 2mpg. But those are still very good numbers - indicates you're not driving 'spirited' enough, in spite of the warning.

Would be nice if you could add a signature line with your model/year in it.
See if this works for the signature line.
As for spirited driving, as I mentioned in that one post, that is my intention. I am particularly anxious to try out the launch mode.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
See if this works for the signature line.
As for spirited driving, as I mentioned in that one post, that is my intention. I am particularly anxious to try out the launch mode.
Does base model mean 300hp I4 or 340hp V6?

Old 08-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Does base model mean 300hp I4 or 340hp V6?
Signature updated. Thanks for the suggestion.

Obviously didn't take. Oh well, try again.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:42 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Fuji White couple
Is it spellcheck, or do you type 'couple' every time for 'coupe'?

Old 08-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJS
Is it spellcheck, or do you type 'couple' every time for 'coupe'?
Oh, it's me, and not the first time as you well know. I had to have a moderator change my screen name because of my independently minded arthritic fingers.
Signed, fujicouple (kidding)

Old 08-22-2018, 02:56 PM
Banned

Testing, testing, one, two, three. Coupe, couple, coupe, couple--finger training.

The following 2 users liked this post by fujicoupe:
Don1954 (08-23-2018), Mbourne (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Fuji, how did you paint the lettering on the side vents?

Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM
Banned

Fuji, how did you paint the lettering on the side vents?
At first I attempted to simply paint the letters with an artist brush, but no amount of patience and steady hand would effect an acceptable outcome so I hit on this:
Using the artist brush, I filled the letters with a thin coat of paint, allowing for a bit to slop out of the recesses. I allowed the paint to dry until beyond the tacky stage but not completely set.
I then moistened a lint free cloth with mineral spirits (paint thinner) stretched tightly around a small block of wood and rubbed over the letters to remove the paint that slopped out onto the surrounding area. I applied three coats of paint altogether, allowing each coat to dry a few days between coats. I may follow up with a clear coat later when I do the calipers. I put three coats on the calipers and it's about time to do three coats of high temp. clear over that--worked well on the last calipers I did. The clear really seemed to hold the shine and resist brake dust better than paint alone.
I used Dupli-Color red caliper paint BTW.

The following users liked this post:
eeeeek (08-23-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you. I was thinking about painting the lettering, too. I was not sure if I should mask the vent off or try to dab away the excess when still wet. I hadn't thought baout doing it when the paint was dry.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I have painted the vent lettering on my F-Type and also similar lettering on both my XFs.
The method I used is pretty much the same as that detailed above.
- left over caliper paint (DupliColor), spray a bit into the lid
- first clean the vent lettering thoroughly (I used meths)
- slather the paint on with a small to medium artists brush, don't worry about getting it outside of the letters, fill the lettering as best you can but don't use so much that it runs or drips.
- wait a while until the paint has set but is not yet fully hard (I usually wait around 20 minutes)
- wipe/rub over with a rag or cloth dampened with a suitable solvent. Acetone is a bit too powerful, turps works but takes a while, the best I have found is the solvent that comes with ChipEx paint repair kits, I think it is isopropyl based. Apply flat even pressure so as not to drag much if any paint out of the lettering, you are doing nothing more than removing the excess paint from around the lettering.
- apply a second coat, rinse and repeat.

That's it, two coats only and no clear, the lettering paint is still as perfect as the day I put it on nearly two years ago, it really does look factory.

The following users liked this post:
eeeeek (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 07:56 AM
Banned

OzXFR, about the only difference I see in our methods is you use the spray and I use the pint can that must be brushed on. I find that the paint levels incredibly well and goes a long way. I've used the same can to do three sets of calipers, front and back with multiple coats each; and contrary to what the folks at Dupli-Color told me, I thin the product with ordinary paint thinner and also use that for wiping the excess paint from the chrome.
I agree that the casual observer would not know the result from something done at the factory.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm...I may still buy a used black side vent from ebay just to practice on. I appreciate both of your input.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Hmmm...I may still buy a used black side vent from ebay just to practice on. I appreciate both of your input.
No need to waste you money and time on a used vent, it really is a piece of cake and even if you muck up it's dead easy to remove all the paint and start again.
The only extra tip I would give is to have a rag soaked in turps handy as you are applying the paint to immediately wipe up any paint that spills/drips/runs off the vent onto the bodywork (although I have never needed to do this).

Old 08-23-2018, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
...any paint that spills/drips/runs off the vent onto the bodywork...
Ouch! Just mask the area around the vent with masking tape and newspaper to catch any slop-over.