F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny2
I'm finding the wind deflector to be very disappointing compared to the clear acrylic one on my Porsche Boxster S. I know it's functional with the top down but did they have to make it out of mesh? Makes the view to the rear with the top up terrible. (Is that a cop behind me? Naa. Wait...that IS a cop!!!)

+1 on that. May take mine off

Old 01-27-2016, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I'm happy not having a wind deflector, and I have the top down all the time w/ temps above 50ºF or so.

I've had them on other convertibles, but depending upon how high you sit (my seat is as low as possible), the aero turbulence is significantly less than any of the other dozen or so convertibles I've owned. That includes convertible w/ wind deflectors.

Try it without, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-27-2016 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a brilliant thread I've learned loads of features I didn't know existed, thanks to all contributors, regards Stuart.

PolkNole (01-31-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by rav1up
When you are making 90 degree turns and lights are set to auto, I see the extreme right of the wall where I am turning light up. Its as though there is a headlamp that faces outwards from the sides of the car. I think its because of a LED that is separated from the the DRL that glows orange or white depending on whether you are in parked mode or driving. Or this may just be the headlamps moving so much as to light the right side.
with auto-assistant high beam, on a windy road, at night.... it's likely one of the most awe inspiring safety improvements I've seen. It's glorious to watch it in action.

Misujerr (02-14-2017)
Old 01-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm happy not having a wind deflector, and I have the top down all the time w/ temps above 50ºF or so.

I've had them on other convertibles, but depending upon how high you sit (my seat is as low as possible), the aero turbulence is significantly less than any of the other dozen or so convertibles I've owned. That includes convertible w/ wind deflectors.

Try it without, and you may be pleasantly surprised.
I was wondering.... too lazy to take it off and figure out storing it. I am always, spur of the moment, putting the top down. I really wasn't sure the actual effects the wind deflectors has, and since I've not driven a convertible other than a Wrangler, pretty sure it won't seem like a big deal.

I am sure an aftermarket one will be made, eventually?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That hook behind the passenger seat is a great place for a coat or dry cleaning. I have the #3 seat position button programmed to full forward for that purpose.If the seat back were heated you could use it as a laundry press in the full back position.
I am 6'6", and when you move the seat forward and up, it fits my sport coats, pants, shirts... sometimes 10 total.

Also, I might suggest to *not* set position 3 for dry cleaning. My wife the other day was fooling around, and I didn't notice she hit it.... Approx 80 on the freeway and she is about to have her legs and head crushed by a robotic seat.

I quickly pressed 1, then M-3 to reprogram, but that was scary.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I've tried everything and pushed every button in the damn car - at any and all speeds - and no matter what I do the top just won't go up [or down]??????

Perhaps that's because I have a Coupe?

On a serious note, I too gave it the quickest of thoughts of what would happen - I'm assuming nothing would; and, no, I'm not about to try - if one did hit "P" while driving at any speed?

Best regards,
Jay
I've been rolling down my steep driveway, too fast approx 15mph or so. I held up "P" while moving thinking it was the top, and I came to a brutal dead stop. It was shocking. Now I am scared if I ever did that at freeway speeds. But I am a sink or swim guy. Learn from mistakes. =)

Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Yesterday:

I am an analog turn signal guy, haven't used these ones with full turn, or lane change turn. I didn't know how to turn the signal off. Well duh:

The button on the end of the turn signal turns it off. LOVELY.

FTypeR AR (08-11-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Probabely a stupid question, and if my car was not in winter hibernation, I would tested it to find the answere...

Question: - if the AT is in gear (either in D or S) and the car is moving forward, what happens if you press both right and left paddle at the same time?

I know that in some cars this will result in the AT (or dual clutch transmission) change to neutral, making it possible to rew the engine while the car is still moving.

I don't think this is the case with the F-type, but it would be nice if someone could confirm, so that I don't need to wonder untill spring is here

Old 01-27-2016, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I was wondering.... too lazy to take it off and figure out storing it. I am always, spur of the moment, putting the top down. I really wasn't sure the actual effects the wind deflectors has, and since I've not driven a convertible other than a Wrangler, pretty sure it won't seem like a big deal.

I am sure an aftermarket one will be made, eventually?
One of the truly awesome capabilities of this convertible is that it allows one to be totally "spur of the moment" without worry or hassle. Rain threatening . . . who cares? Because we can raise and lower the top up to 30 mph, I sometimes put it up and down 3-4 times on the same trip.

As I said above, I've owned a dozen or so convertibles over the years. Because of that feature, I have the top up and down far more often, and it's the best convertible ever!

Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I've been rolling down my steep driveway, too fast approx 15mph or so. I held up "P" while moving thinking it was the top, and I came to a brutal dead stop. It was shocking. Now I am scared if I ever did that at freeway speeds. But I am a sink or swim guy. Learn from mistakes. =)
The parking brake would stop you smoothly in that case.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...9/#post1366155

Old 01-27-2016, 10:10 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Probabely a stupid question, and if my car was not in winter hibernation, I would tested it to find the answere...

Question: - if the AT is in gear (either in D or S) and the car is moving forward, what happens if you press both right and left paddle at the same time?

I know that in some cars this will result in the AT (or dual clutch transmission) change to neutral, making it possible to rew the engine while the car is still moving.

I don't think this is the case with the F-type, but it would be nice if someone could confirm, so that I don't need to wonder untill spring is here
I believe on older cars like mine, holding in both paddles cancels manual shifting in S and resumes automatic shifts. I think holding in the right paddle also does this.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
The parking brake would stop you smoothly in that case.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...9/#post1366155
+1 The parking brake is also known as the "emergency brake." That's actually it's primary function on all vehicles.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I believe on older cars like mine, holding in both paddles cancels manual shifting in S and resumes automatic shifts. I think holding in the right paddle also does this.
Thats correct. Holding in the right paddle will make it resume automatic shifts.

But what I was wondering was if holding in both paddles would make it select neutral while you kept holding both paddles in?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
I discovered that the button that adjusts the steering wheel can be rotated (rolled) clockwise. This results in the steering wheel automatically rising when you stop and exit the car for easier access.
Just tried that very useful tip Tahoe.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
I discovered that the button that adjusts the steering wheel can be rotated (rolled) clockwise. This results in the steering wheel automatically rising when you stop and exit the car for easier access.
Strange -- When I put my car into Park & open the door, the steering wheel automatically rises out of the way for easier egress/ingress. (I also have seat memory 3 set so the seat moves as far back as possible to make ingress/egress easier.)

Last edited by sonny2; 01-27-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

At any speed more than 15mph, holding up the P is like moderately holding up a console mounted parking brake. Nice to know it's there if it is needed. It will not lock the rear brakes at any speed but will bring the car to a dead stop quickly.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:12 PM

If you have an Apple product (iPod, etc.) plugged into the USB port, you cannot play media via Bluetooth. Your phone will still work for calls via Bluetooth but you cannot play any music from your phone via Bluetooth. However, you can still stream music via the USB port from your phone.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

What are the two plastic clips on the bottom side of the center console lid?

Old 01-28-2016, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Buckingham
What are the two plastic clips on the bottom side of the center console lid?
You mean on either front edge? Those, I believe, are to stabilize the front part of the compartment to keep the front of the lid from moving when you apply pressure from one side or the other. If you look closely at the lip of the compartment, there are slots where those clips fit into.

Quick Reply: Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...