F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P7 Reverse Engineering Project - Who wants one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 12:10 PM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts
Default P7 Reverse Engineering Project - Who wants one?

Not a whole P7! Just the grille, sorry if I got your hopes up!!!

Thanks to @skizot , I have been able to procure a real P7 grille. I have scanned in the grille and the mesh. I then priced out getting them reproduced, and got a quote of about $3000 each part ($6000 total) - That won't fly!!! @skizot then hooked me up again with a P7 surround off AliExpress. I went ahead and ordered one, expecting the worst, but it is a high quality piece, and I can't beat the price. The surround is "CF Look", but very smooth and would be easy to paint or apply a Chrome like Alsa's "Easy Chrome" if that is what floats your boat.

So now I am engineering a P7-like grille that will securely mount to the AliExpress surround (the mesh they send with it is a joke!). I hope to be able to get the price for the mesh down under $700 each UNPAINTED. That would let me sell a package of surround and mesh for under $1000 plus shipping. It should fit all cars up through MY 2020.

Can I get a level of interest at this price, please post a reply with the quantity you would be interested in (some people have more than 1 car, some people like getting backup parts)? I will need to invest several thousand dollars to get a mold made, and need to know there will be a market once I am done. NO commitment at this time, just gauging interest. I don't have to do this - I now have a REAL P7 grille, so I am just "doing this for the community".

In full disclosure, the AliExpress surround is not an exact replica. It is easily 1/2" smaller all round the opening, how it mounts to the car is different, etc., but it is a quality piece, and I can't touch the price (shipping is more than the part!). The mesh I make will be P7-like, will mount securely to the AliExpress part, and will have options to:
  1. Run the Jaguar emblem or not (I will sell the emblems as well)
  2. Have an opening for the tow hook or not
  3. Enable running parking sensors or not
If you have questions or suggestions, please post them to this thread.

I would estimate first parts being available in September.

I have indicated interest from the following:

@skizot
@JagFR
@Robtrt8

Need more info:

@M3 Wrath
@HermanWiegman
@J444G

Last edited by mcphill; 06-18-2023 at 11:49 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mcphill:
RichardCranium (06-18-2023), Robc2562 (06-17-2023), Roost5o (09-07-2023), skizot (06-19-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 313 Likes on 226 Posts
Old 06-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
The grill from VR never showed up for a ton of people that ordered, me included. It was a whole thing that happened on the facebook group.
They kept saying that the grills were stuck in shipping for over a year and half and nothing was still delivered, so I wouldn't really look at ordering anything from them.

Apparently that grill is also the same as the version on AliExpress which is terrible condition like a few people here have verified.

Old 06-17-2023, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by CJSJAG
My understanding is this is a 3D printed grille and while it looks OK from 10', it is horrible up close. Additionally, VR failed to deliver many times to many people. You can read the saga here (there's a reason the thread is so long):https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-249005/page1/

I am personally 3D scanning, reverse modelling, and having the grilles manufactured (it is not a copy of the existing design, it is not going to be 3D printed - so no ridges). They will be made in the USA (Indiana) so shipping will be reasonable (for US customers).

Old 06-17-2023, 03:50 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My only concern at this point is the AliExpress surround. I've never seen one mounted so I don't know how good (or bad) the fitment is. I'm definitely interested, but would actually be willing to pay more for a piece that fits like OEM.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
My only concern at this point is the AliExpress surround. I've never seen one mounted so I don't know how good (or bad) the fitment is. I'm definitely interested, but would actually be willing to pay more for a piece that fits like OEM.
Concern noted. I will only proceed with excellent fitment. My car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks and I have had the parts for 2 1/2, I'm getting itchy to fit them!!! I will post fitment once I get my car back. That all said, I have heard very good things about the AliExpress part. They just "fell down" by not remaking the grille. But I can tell you, designing the grille - even with $40k in software and 3D scans to work off of - is a PITA!!! I have over 40 hours in to it so far, and have learned several new commands in the process just to make it happen.

Last edited by mcphill; 06-17-2023 at 06:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 06:31 PM
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mcphill
Concern noted. I will only precede with excellent fitment. My car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks and I have had the parts for 2 1/2, I'm getting itchy to fit them!!! I will post fitment once I get my car back. That all said, I have heard very good things about the AliExpress part. They just "fell down" by not remaking the grille. But I can tell you, designing the grille - even with $40k in software and 3D scans to work off of - is a PITA!!! I have over 40 hours in to it so far, and have learned several new commands in the process just to make it happen.
You probably also have a litany of various curses to go with it!

Old 06-17-2023, 10:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

How much are P7 grill? To make it economical and scalable, I’d say half the price with good fitment. How many do you have to sell to breakeven? Throw the number and let’s see if we can get that many people or more to sign up.

Old 06-17-2023, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by JagFR
How much are P7 grill? To make it economical and scalable, I’d say half the price with good fitment. How many do you have to sell to breakeven? Throw the number and let’s see if we can get that many people or more to sign up.
Real P7 grilles are virtually unobtainium now, only available from someone who bought it and didn't install (JLR now longer sells them). I threw out a number, $1000. That should be more than it ends up being but I want to aim high and be able to lower the price rather than promise something lower and not be able to deliver. Looking for at least 20 people.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by mcphill
Real P7 grilles are virtually unobtainium now, only available from someone who bought it and didn't install (JLR now longer sells them). I threw out a number, $1000. That should be more than it ends up being but I want to aim high and be able to lower the price rather than promise something lower and not be able to deliver. Looking for at least 20 people.
If the AliX fitment is good and you can get the mesh quality & design right, count me in.

I’m sure you will get more than 20 people if you can prove it out on your vehicle. Keep us posted! :-)

Old 06-18-2023, 05:22 AM
Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm in.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Received 107 Likes on 80 Posts

Great effort!
It would be great to see the installed items.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 06-18-2023, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by HermanWiegman
Great effort!
It would be great to see the installed items.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Understood. I'll probably 3D print one of the grilles to confirm fit. The real parts will be cast. The casting tooling is too expensive for me to do on my own, but a 3D printed part will prove the fit and hopefully get enough "buy in" to purchase the casting tooling.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:31 AM
Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Can this whole thing can be used with P7 EURO licence plate holder? In europe we have to put the licence plate in front of the car, OEM on P7 it looked like this

I guess there must be a OEM jaguar part for this.

Also, kudos to the effort.

Old 06-18-2023, 11:48 AM

I could certainly make a couple mounting points to attach something like this:
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-18-2023, 11:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I may be interested in the mesh as I already have the surround. I was going to go the e pace grille route but would prefer no emblem and.would.like to use the parking sensors. Option for tow hook would.be nice too.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:13 PM

I will certainly sell the mesh only for those left "out to dry" with the OEM mesh!

Old 06-18-2023, 12:14 PM

I have indicated interest from the following:

@skizot
@JagFR
@Robtrt8
@RichardCranium Mesh Only
@PaulBarrrera
@eeeeek

Need more info:

@M3 Wrath
@HermanWiegman
@J444G

Last edited by mcphill; 06-18-2023 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RichardCranium
I may be interested in the mesh as I already have the surround. I was going to go the e pace grille route but would prefer no emblem and.would.like to use the parking sensors. Option for tow hook would.be nice too.
Can you post some photos of the fit of the surround so others can see how good it is (for me too!)?

Old 06-18-2023, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by J444G
Can this whole thing can be used with P7 EURO licence plate holder? In europe we have to put the licence plate in front of the car, OEM on P7 it looked like this

I guess there must be a OEM jaguar part for this.

Also, kudos to the effort.
Any reason you can’t use Sto N Sho or similar plate holders?

Quick Reply: P7 Reverse Engineering Project - Who wants one?