F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards

Tappets

 
  #1  
Old 03-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tappets

Sooo, I changed out my supercharger and got rid of that noise and now I have the final 'Noise' to deal with, which my mechanics are telling me is probably a/the tappet(s).

They also tell me that it would probably mean an 'engine out' to get it done, which to be honest makes me very nervous.. It is not so much the cost, which would probably be considerable, but once I go down that road, I am always wary about everything going back in right....

More good news about tappets apparently is that on our engine, they are all different sizes and until the head is off and they can actually see them, then they can't order the replacements?

Has anybody had any tappet problems? Is what they are telling me right? How did you fix it? Should I go get a 2nd, and/or 3rd opinion?

From what information I can gather, I can just carry on regardless (it has always made this noise and I have put 20K KM on it since I have had it), is that wise..

OMG I am full of questions today..
 
  #2  
Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wigan, Lancashire UK
Posts: 640
Received 250 Likes on 183 Posts
Default

My guess is that's what your mechanic (tech) is doing, guessing .

I would be surprised if it's tappet noise,
AJ133 / AJ126 engine seems to be a little noisy, if supercharger has been replaced with new or good quality refurbished then I would suggest taking to a tech who has experience / training on this engine.

My wild guess would be check for direct injection pump as it makes noise that can be similar to tappet noise.

There's a technical bulletin (TSB) regarding noisy injection pump.

Will attach when I find it
Got the TSB from this forum
 
  #3  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 160
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Ouch, that really sucks Kirk. I had tappets damage due to one of our local "tuners" work over here. Why don't you PM me your contact number and I'll see if I can help?
 
The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-12-2019)
  #4  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Paul_59 View Post
My guess is that's what your mechanic (tech) is doing, guessing .

I would be surprised if it's tappet noise,
AJ133 / AJ126 engine seems to be a little noisy, if supercharger has been replaced with new or good quality refurbished then I would suggest taking to a tech who has experience / training on this engine.

My wild guess would be check for direct injection pump as it makes noise that can be similar to tappet noise.

There's a technical bulletin (TSB) regarding noisy injection pump.
Will attach when I find it
Got the TSB from this forum
If by direct injection pump, you mean the mechanical fuel pump on either side of the engine, then I replaced that on the side of the engine that is making the noise, at the same time as I did the SC, just in case (it was only a couple of hundred bucks, so worth a try)... I read about that as well....

SC is brand new and is no longer making the 'Thock' noise that was contributing to the melee!

I mean maybe it is me being super picky, but the noise is noticeable as far as I am concerned.....
 
  #5  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 37
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ss23 View Post
Ouch, that really sucks Kirk. I had tappets damage due to one of our local "tuners" work over here. Why don't you PM me your contact number and I'll see if I can help?
Hi SS

I will do, going out of town on business tomorrow so I will do it when I get back..

Did they have to take out your engine to fix it?
 
  #6  
Old 03-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 160
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey View Post
Hi SS

I will do, going out of town on business tomorrow so I will do it when I get back..

Did they have to take out your engine to fix it?
They had the car for around 2-3 weeks so they must have done, will provide you with all the details when we get a chance to speak/WhatsApp
 
  #7  
Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 AM
SinF's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 3,578
Received 677 Likes on 515 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ss23 View Post
I had tappets damage due to one of our local "tuners" work over here.
This forum is too relaxed about tuning. Could you share your story so it can be used to warn others? Post it in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...tuning-206030/



 
  #8  
Old 03-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 1,683
Received 337 Likes on 237 Posts
Default

I didn't know tappet noise could be a problem on these modern engines. They were a big problem on the old 4.2 inline six engines back in the day. They required a stake-down kit to keep them from popping out. The engine sounded like a really loud sewing machine when they were on their way out.
 
  #9  
Old 03-12-2019, 10:09 AM
SinF's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Canada, eh
Posts: 3,578
Received 677 Likes on 515 Posts
Default

F-type engine is naturally loud/ticking. At least mine was from new.

I haven't heard about another case of tappets damage that wasn't linked to a cause (i.e. tune).
 
  #10  
Old 03-12-2019, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 482
Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by XJ8JR View Post
I didn't know tappet noise could be a problem on these modern engines. They were a big problem on the old 4.2 inline six engines back in the day. They required a stake-down kit to keep them from popping out. The engine sounded like a really loud sewing machine when they were on their way out.
Been there, done that. I installed what was then called a Tappet Hold Down Kit on my 4.2 inline six, 1985 XJ6. It was a fairly simple DIY process on that engine. I can't imagine even attempting to do anything similar to the newer V6 or V8.
 
  #11  
Old 03-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Queen and Country's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Hastings
Posts: 5,051
Received 1,201 Likes on 887 Posts
Default

Click & Clack the Tappet brothers. God I miss them.
There is a garage that specializes in big tappet jobs.
In fact every job they have had lately is coincidentally top rebuild.
Dewey Cheatem & Howe
 
  #12  
Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,867
Received 1,087 Likes on 903 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SinF View Post
F-type engine is naturally loud/ticking. At least mine was from new.

I haven't heard about another case of tappets damage that wasn't linked to a cause (i.e. tune).
Yep, they are all a bit rattly.
A combination of direct injection high fuel pressure injector "tick", the high pressure fuel pumps themselves and some but not all having a slightly rattly supercharger (coupler and/or tensioner). I have never heard of the classic old time tappet noise being a problem on these engines.
 
  #13  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,837
Received 524 Likes on 356 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kirk Morey View Post
Has anybody had any tappet problems? Is what they are telling me right? How did you fix it? Should I go get a 2nd, and/or 3rd opinion?
I had a tappet crack and split in half on one of the exhaust valves on the passenger side bank of my 5.0L. I'm convinced the issue occurred as a result of the engine overheating, due to a bad radiator fan that failed internally. After that event, and getting the fan fixed, my engine developed a ticking noise that my local dealer initially diagnosed as a bad supercharger. Then, after replacing the entire supercharger under warranty, the ticking remained and was immediately evident. At that point the dealer dug deeper and found the cracked tappet. This had damaged the valve and camshaft on that bank. The repair was an engine out service, which involved replacing the valves, tappets, exhaust camshaft and a load of seals, bolts, etc. This was under warranty for me, but I imagine it was several thousand dollars worth of work.

The forum is a relatively small sample size; so if I had this issue it wouldn't surprise me if there were enough out there to consider this "common". Something to note as well, my car was tuned before this failure, and the dealer did the repair work regardless.
 
  #14  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:01 PM
heuristik's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: AZ
Posts: 23
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Hey Stohlen, would you mind listening to the engine on my XKR in this video to see if it sounds similar to what you're describing? My car also overheated and I've heard similar prognoses from the repair shops:

 
  #15  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,837
Received 524 Likes on 356 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by heuristik View Post
Hey Stohlen, would you mind listening to the engine on my XKR in this video to see if it sounds similar to what you're describing? My car also overheated and I've heard similar prognoses from the repair shops:
Mine was a light (much less noticeable) ticking noise that was of course RPM dependent. The dealership replaced the supercharger on the first go around, and considered the car "fixed" as their technician didn't hear anything on his test drive. I assume that was just because he doesn't drive V8 F-types regularly, but its a good example of how subtle my noise was. Yours seems much more severe and almost inconsistent; could be something else, but still bad.
 
  #16  
Old 03-19-2019, 04:33 PM
RGPV6S's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 311
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

I had a car with a broken exhaust manifold bolt that had a really bad tickling noise. At first thought it was a bad lifter or bearing because its frequency went up and down with engine rpm.

Could this be the source of your ticking noise?
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
VTSummit
E type ( XK-E )
4
10-03-2016 07:23 PM
redtriangle
MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler
7
09-12-2016 04:15 PM
9 LIVES
Australia - Queensland
1
09-02-2016 04:23 PM
xjsv12
XJS ( X27 )
6
12-23-2015 02:27 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tappets


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: