General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cloned dealer scan tool

Old 09-02-2014, 05:30 AM
Received 330 Likes on 185 Posts

With a mongoose cable, if an IDS is launched from SDD, yes you can programm all available functions. But i don't recommend a reflashing of any modules using a mongoose (especially cloned one).
But be careful, there's a lot of tricks (i.e like a various effort steering may become inoperative if you reprogramm a wheel dia. with some versions of SDD)

Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Mongoose clone not reading codes from X300

I have a 1995 XJ6 (x300). I got a Mongoose clone from britishdiagnostics on Ebay. Tried IDS 130 and 134, both started up fine and did seem to work until I tried to read the DTCs. I got the following message for ALL modules in both versions:

[ERR 0x22] "The request can not be processed due to a bad specification or missing parameters".

According to the Jag TSB, Mongoose JLR + IDS should support X300. Did anyone here get this combination to work in practice? If so, which version of IDS worked with Mongoose JLR for X300?

Also, If someone could point me at a reasonably reliable VCM clone source, or at least one with a decent return policy I would greatly appreciate it. Any info on known working VCM clone + IDS version combination would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Have the JLR IDS v134.04 and it works great.

I see a way to export the DLOG files but no way to open them again from the saved file. Seems kind of pointless to allow exporting them without some way to re-import.

What am I missing?

Old 09-21-2014, 03:38 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I used the cloned mangoose to flash TCM, ECU and I also did some logging.
Beside that it seems to be 3 times slower than the dealer tool, it works well.
You should care more about the SDD-software, as some versions are cr*cked and don't work as expected.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
I have a 1995 XJ6 (x300). I got a Mongoose clone from britishdiagnostics on Ebay. Tried IDS 130 and 134, both started up fine and did seem to work until I tried to read the DTCs. I got the following message for ALL modules in both versions:

[ERR 0x22] "The request can not be processed due to a bad specification or missing parameters".

According to the Jag TSB, Mongoose JLR + IDS should support X300. Did anyone here get this combination to work in practice? If so, which version of IDS worked with Mongoose JLR for X300?

Also, If someone could point me at a reasonably reliable VCM clone source, or at least one with a decent return policy I would greatly appreciate it. Any info on known working VCM clone + IDS version combination would be greatly appreciated.
This going to sound odd, but I had the same experience with my 1996 XJS. It would read the ABS codes, then I would get that error for the remaining DTCs.

I got the thing to work one time. I managed to reorient the O2 sensors and recalibrate the TPS. It read the different signals, the whole thing actually worked!

Then I tried again and I couldn't get in again.

Only v134 worked that one time. V130 was worthless. Couldn't read a thing.

I bought it to figure out which ABS sensor was failing. For $150, it cost me the same, if not less, than what other shops wanted to charge just to read the code for my light, so I got what I wanted out of it. (It was the front passengers, which apparently just needed a cleaning)

Old 10-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Works to some extent with much more.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

There is a link in this thread to an official JLR publication listing the expected capabilities of J2534 devices such as the Mongoose against the various model years. Each year since 1995 has increasing capabilities.

I will repeat again the warning against trying to use the official Drew Technologies firmware upgrade on a clone. It will fry the clone shortly after being applied. The only gain of the firmware upgrade on a genuine unit is improved speed. Improved speed is not really a consideration when used by a hobbyist. A working unit is more important.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Don B (10-13-2014), H20boy (10-09-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I have a WDS scanner w/ Jaguar 43 SW for sale in the classifieds.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent experience

So much has been said here it's difficult to add anything insightful. At the risk of repeating what has already been said, this is my experience.
I bought the British Diagnostics kit off Ebay, about $A165. The software and cable installed without problems and connected to the car as expected. So far so good. It was only when I started to use it I ran into trouble. To cut a long story short, killed the car. I started out to reset the Trans adaption but my PC went to sleep during the process and put the TCM to sleep. In attempt to fix this problem I also managed to kill the ECM. After much trolling of the forums I managed to recover the ECM and can now start the car at least. I have yet to recover the TCM but I'm eternally hopeful.
Lessons learned;
As already stated, Battery voltage must be held up, PC must be kept awake etc..
What is not stated, some of these reflash procedures take a REALLY long time. It took over 4 hours to reflash the ECM when I finally managed to recover it, (many thanks to the fellow forum members that showed me how), so PATIENCE REALLY IS A VIRTUE. Secondly, support from the Vendor is great for getting the App loaded but NON EXISTENT when it comes to actually using the application. Without the experience of members of this forum my car would still be dead. When I sought help from British Diagnostics they weren't even sure what version of the software they had sent me.
Conclusion, the package was certainly worth what I paid for it, easy to load up and runs as described. However, there is NO documentation on how it works, how to use it or what to do if things go wrong. The only guidance from British Diagnostics is a couple of Youtube videos but my software doesn't seem to work the way the videos predict.
I originally bought this software to fix a problem with the ABS light coming on. I'm confident I'll be able to do this if I can get my TCM to talk to me again. I've learnt a lot and enjoyed playing with my car but be aware, YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Old 10-25-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Not to downplay your troubles, but as reference to other readers:

1) the official JLR user manuals are posted in this thread early on.

2) the need to turn off all sleep functions was posted in this thread, the official JLR software install does this in the install script.

3) the official flashing documentation warns that flashes can take a long time

Knowing about #3 makes #2 mandatory. On my Windows 7 install, there is a special login for obd-ii use which has all of the power management settings disabled on every possible option in the OS as well as the bios.

The root cause of your problem aside from not knowing certain things, was the computer/usb sleep function. If you had purchased a genuine version, this factor would still have come into play because the powersaving is not a device function, but a function of the bios and operating system.

The only way it would have been avoided by an auto-installer without user intervention is if you had purchased the JLR official full kit with the Panasonic Toughbook. That's somewhere north of $5K.

It is not a question of how much you pay. It is a question of how much you know.

The following users liked this post:
dar2211 (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 09:58 PM

As they say, "Knowledge is Power"!

Old 11-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone point me in the direction of a working link to SDD IDS V130?

I can only find V139.

Cheers

Old 11-11-2014, 05:13 PM

Try Ebay, British Diagnostics. S/W and cable quite cheap. Installs under Win 7 and works well. No 'how to use' guide though.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoscowLeaper
With a mongoose cable, if an IDS is launched from SDD, yes you can programm all available functions. But i don't recommend a reflashing of any modules using a mongoose (especially cloned one).
But be careful, there's a lot of tricks (i.e like a various effort steering may become inoperative if you reprogramm a wheel dia. with some versions of SDD)
V138 JLR Mangoose Pro is the updated version of JLR Mangoose. It can support different operation systems comparing with the previous versions,and supports cars still 2014.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best VCM/Mongoose IDS combo for 2001 x308

Hi guys

I browsed through this very interesting thread but am still undecided as to the best setup for my application and budget.

I have a 2001 XJR with CAN BUS issues (ABS) ..... I am planning to reconfigure the ABS module. What combo of hardware and software would you recommend for a DIY guy for a reasonable price?

At the present moment I am using my Launch X431 but it is only able to read certain modules. It reads the ABS and is showing u2500. It is not able to read the TCM.

Cheers

Andrew

Old 12-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Cloned Adaptors

I thought some people might benefit from some details on my saga with cloned Mongoose adaptors.

There seems to be a lot of rumours and possibly conflicting information out there, hopefully this will help the next traveler that comes down this path.

I bought an adaptor from UOBD2.net back in April/May, connected it to an ASUS laptop running Win XP SP3 and all seemed well. I was running SDD v134 I think. I adjusted suspension, read codes, reset the transmission, selected the features I wanted on global opening and closing etc.
Then I started running into issues with the adaptor not being recognized by the laptop, not flashing green when connected, not appearing in the device manager.

Long story short, attempted reinstall of Windows and SDD software without success, ended up having the UOBD2.net tech remote in to the laptop, and they suggested a hardware fault in the adaptor. I sent it back to China and a new one eventually appeared. I hinted for a Pro version for the return, to perhaps have it work with a 64 bit OS, but I see nothing to indicate that I got it, the new adaptor looks just like the old and runs with non-Pro drivers.

Since then, I tried and failed to get it to work reliably with Win XP and Win7 when using SDD 137 and 138. Both versions of SDD install on 32 bit versions of either Windows, but they seemed fragile, crashing when attempting some tasks.
I was looking to program a new transponder (the classic “car arrived with one key” scenario) so fragility was not what I wanted. I was also therefore trying to get to the “program new transponder” option in SDD and could not get it to appear despite other posts saying it is just there, or use a symptom of key not working remotely to bring it up, nothing seemed to help in v137/138.

The one scenario that did work for me was as follows.

New Win XP SP3 install on a formatted drive on the ASUS laptop, nothing else added, no sound drivers, no updated video, no Acrobat. Then I installed SDD v130, with the pinpoint stuff and other updates. Hacked (?) Mongoose driver (not a Pro version) followed and all now appears to work just fine. FYI, Windows recognizes the adaptor every time it is plugged in, although rebooting the laptop might require removing and re-plugging the adaptor.

First run of SDD and the transponder program option was the third service option in the list, one key in, turn ignition on, agree to wipe, change key, job done, two keys that start the car and a big smiley face.
I am not sure why the newer versions seem to struggle so much, wrong version of IE for them, or something else? They work, speak to the car, read DTCs, some menus/options seem okay, but every time I was trying to nudge them towards transponder problems, I always seemed to run into issues.

So, if anyone is struggling with this, let’s compare software versions etc. If you are near Sacramento, come borrow it. If you need confirmation of what message you get as you add each item, or how long it takes to do this bit, or anything else, just pm me or reply here. One of my struggles was not knowing what should happen at each step.

I will image the working setup and store it safely, then I might update the laptop. I might try the other laptop with Win7 and v130, then it would be good to get v138 to run, assuming it has newer knowledge of the problems that develop on the car, or newer firmware to flash into the modules?

For now, with two keys, myself and the better half are quite happy.

On some installs of some versions, it would say the VCM was disconnected and you had to get into system information and change the device type, other versions/times seemed to recognize the Mongoose and be good, or recognize it and insist you go to system info and change the selection – no continuity in the software on that, same as none on where the option to reprogram the key will be, so when reading helpful posts on the forums, bear that in mind, there do seem to be differences between the different versions of SDD.

When installing, the pinpoints really are a background task and you can continue installing any updates that come with your version, along with the mongoose drivers.

Thanks to UOBD2.net for the no quibble exchange of the dead hardware, not sure what happened to it, just glad to get a working one. I will say they still seem convinced that you need Win XP, not 32 bit Win7 (which might still be the case for the later SDD versions, more experimentation needed there).

My battery, (Interstate of unknown age) which never seems to have any problems starting and running the car, was rarely reported as “green” in SDD, usually yellow, despite the constant connection of a battery charger. I guess I need a better charger. Connecting to another car was the next option, jump lead style, but it was raining, yada, yada. Battery did go red during earlier trials with v137/138 and that raised the cruise dead/forward sensors dead type messages that disappeared once the battery was recharged. I will get the battery checked, but reluctant to just discard it as there are no other symptoms in normal use.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by Cambo; 12-01-2014 at 10:05 PM. Reason: text format
Old 12-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just purchased the mongoose pro clone from China a few weeks ago and have yet to get it to recognize my two vehicles. 2003 STR and 2001 XKR. I used the discs supplied with the cable, the toolbox and the drivers. The computer sees the jlr and says everything is fine. I tried an installment of sdd v130 and v134, neither of them seeing the vehicle. I was able to access ids in both and both saw the cable. But no vehicle. The only possibility that I've come across is the clone is fried or damaged. My wife did use my laptop while I was away and turned on the Internet but the cable was not connected at the time and sdd was not updated. Could an update have been downloaded without knowing and when I updated the firmware iffline suggested when I plugged the adapter in it damaged it? Not sure how it could be damaged if the computer can still see it...

Old 12-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

I'm guessing it's a driver issue. ..and use a separate SDD program, not the software provided. Send me a reminder PM, and I'll get you download links to both the correct driver and v130 that I use on my home machine.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Just got my JLR British Diagnostics SDD JLR "kit" and managed to load everything on my older laptop with Windows XP. However when connected to my 2005 Jaguar XJR ODBII port it says the Drew Technologies Cable is not connected. Even when going to the "devices" window and clicking on Connect ( Disconnect) it will not connect. Without the Browser VM running on the laptop it does say the cable is connected to the laptop( when not connected to the ODB port). Has anyone had this issue or know how to get around it?
I have sent a message to the seller on Ebay.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Try another driver, it has to be that.

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (12-15-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cloned dealer scan tool