General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problem with parts from local Jaguar dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts
Default Problem with parts from local Jaguar dealer.

I've got a good mobile technician who does work on my car. I can't afford main dealer labour prices like most of us. So I get the parts in and he fits them and sets any settings needed.

I'm replacing some rear suspension parts and I've got same spec or higher spec than Jaguar OE. However I needed some OE nuts, bolts and washers. I phoned the local main dealer 2 days ago and ordered all of them. The staff said they would be there at the dealer the next morning and if they didn't come in he would let me know to save going in. Sounds good.
The next morning I heard nothing from the dealer and so I drove in. Couldn't park and a customer was parked on the only disabled bay. I drove forward and two cars with trade plates came towards me. Single car only route in the dealer.
The first car turned left in front of me, the second car just sat there like a lemon until I put mine in reverse and headed back towards the entrance. New cars everywhere and there are turns in the single car access road. As I backed mine up towards the disabled bay it was miraculously vacant. So I reversed into it. Thankfully I can still drive although a disabled blue badge driver. Spinal, pelvis, motor control and more lifetime injuries. I don't need pdc or video cameras because I can drive. Know what I mean?
But a lot of disabled drivers find manoeuvring like that very difficult.
OK so now I was parked by a miracle and I went into the parts department.
​​​​​​The staff went and fetched the stock parts but my ordered parts hadn't come in with the order. I asked why he hadn't contacted me as he said he would and he replied "I didn't check the order" so presumably someone else did or no one did?
One of the stock bolts had no wrapping or ID on it.
I wasn't happy it couldn't be checked so he said they would order another one. The staff said the order went off and they didn't receive it at the other end. Err what?
So long story short the order was resent after I was stood for 15 minutes and by now my pain level is very uncomfortable. I cannot stand in one place for very long before the pain level climbs and my left leg becomes increasingly numb. So I was not best happy to say the least. Why no seating in the parts reception area?
This morning I had no call to say the parts were not in and not wishing to have the same palava again I phoned them and although the parts were in, there were lots of bolts in the box. The staff said he would check now if I would wait on the phone. Well it soon became apparent it would be a longer job than he thought. So after he said he was sure my parts were all in the box he said come in anyway. I said I would give him an hour to sort my order out.
Ive just got back after picking up my parts and the staff who I had talked to earlier had my order ready. As I drove into the dealer the disabled bay had an F-type demonstrator parked in it. Yes it is a very pretty car but....... So I had to park in a corner of some parked customer cars? at an oblique angle so as not to block the narrow roadway. The demo parked on the disabled bay is just indicative of attitudes about disabled needs. If the disabled bay is going to be used in this manner then I cannot go there again. Sorry but I detest thoughtlessness on any issue. I will drive 30 miles or more to another dealer and I will have to go through the same process to establish if they have access.
​​​​​Just to put the cherry on top of the icing on top of the cake, one of the £3 nuts which was in the order of stock parts I saw yesterday was the wrong part. So a big thanks to the parts guy today for his due diligence.

Couple of points for our Jaguar reps here as follows:

The morning parts order from Jaguar to the dealer should be checked and put into bags with invoices attached. It is apparent at 10-30am yesterday that my order had not been checked and I assume it wasnt just my order?
​​​​​​
I think a courtesy call this morning would have been good to say "Mr xxxxxxxx your parts are here and we have checked them ready for collection" Bearing in mind yesterday's situation.
I think there are other options which could have been used after the initial failure including some one dropping the parts into my house about 4 miles away later in the day.
​​​​​​
But over all Jaguar, that was rubbish. To the point whereby I shallnt use that dealer again for reasons of access and failure to check my parts order twice.
Its a procedural failure I assume?
Surely the incoming customer parts order would be checked ASAP when it arrives? And each order checked and bagged up into complete orders?

Parking a new demo car on the only disabled bay on a Saturday morning was taking the mick. The message being given out to disabled customers is? I'll let you work that one out.
​​​​​​
Every person who comes in your door is a potential customer or potential future customer. Impressions count.
​​​​​
Please accept this as customer feedback. It's stuff you should know.
​​​​​

​​​​​
​​​​​​
​​​

​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​
​​
​​​​
​​​
​​​​
​​​​

Last edited by Busa; 01-20-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Your frustration and annoyance are clear from the length and content of your post. Parking difficulties at Jaguar Dealerships are not restricted to those looking for blue badge bays. At my local dealer, all customer parking bays are regularly filled with sales vehicles.

However, the Dealer Principal is the first person to whom you should address such a complaint. He or she is the one who can investigate and improve any shortcomings in service at their own dealership. Next in line of escalation is the group head office followed finally by Jaguar CRC.

Graham

Old 01-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

I don't intend to go back to that particular dealer Graham, so feel free to remove the thread if you wish?

As for disabled "access", people who have working legs have a choice to park nearby and walk, blue badge holders with walking limitations don't have that option. As an extremely strong and fit man prior to my RTA leaving me with lifetime major disabilities, if there is no access I can't go there.
Yes I agree this problem is not peculiar to one dealership, but not all are the same. If some sites are particularly tight then they must work harder to maintain access for all customers.

The other issues are more relevant than parking problems.
Its not my place to instruct a dealer principal about the lack of or failure very basic procedures concerning customer parts.
It is the dealer principles job to make ensure basic procedures are in place and being maintained.
For both reasons parking and the parts situation I will not go back there and find another franchise.

Last edited by Busa; 01-20-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

I am glad you bought up other customer parking problems though, because as our society is almost totally reliant on having personal transport for work and life generally. Customer parking at a very tight dealerships and in this particular location where there is no parking outside the garage either, on a very tight shared service road in the town is crazy.

With this town suffering from ultra high levels of pollution and the very strong need to cut pollution in town and city centres, then sites like that need to move out of town for that reason too.

Main car dealerships where visiting customers can't park whether buying a new or pre-owned car or just car parts is total nonsense lets be honest?
We are brainwashed into accepting this.

Jaguar know that a prestige brand goes far beyond the cars themselves.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Busa, Dealer principles generally only know there’s a problem when someone brings it to their attention, I am not disabled but having relatives that are I can relate to access problems. I would think seriously about parking as close as possible to the ‘F’ demo and then leave the car there until they realised that it was a problem. I know its not practical

Old 01-20-2018, 01:55 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Busa
I don't intend to go back to that particular dealer Graham, so feel free to remove the thread if you wish? ......
I don't intend to remove or edit your post. You didn't name the dealership or individual members of staff which makes the content perfectly acceptable as a criticism of access, parking and service level.

I was pointing out the most appropriate and effective way to pursue this justifiable complaint.

Graham

Old 01-20-2018, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robman25
Busa, Dealer principles generally only know there’s a problem when someone brings it to their attention, I am not disabled but having relatives that are I can relate to access problems. I would think seriously about parking as close as possible to the ‘F’ demo and then leave the car there until they realised that it was a problem. I know its not practical
Its very rare that able bodied people can understand what the issues are with mobility and access. Most people think disabled access is having a ramp to the front door and it ends there.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Looks like you have a set of fair complaints BUT the dealer will be a franchise, i.e. not owned by Jaguar, so you need to put this sort of issue to them / appropriate place(s) (maybe some parts of government?).

Jaguar themselves might like to know but it's probably not serious enough to them to warrant major action against the franchise. (I'm guessing.)

Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Looks like you have a set of fair complaints BUT the dealer will be a franchise, i.e. not owned by Jaguar, so you need to put this sort of issue to them / appropriate place(s) (maybe some parts of government?).

Jaguar themselves might like to know but it's probably not serious enough to them to warrant major action against the franchise. (I'm guessing.)
I might just call the dealer principle and let him/her know sometime this week.

I don't understand why this dealer is within one dealer chain but has the previous dealer chain signage and badging. I asked one staff member and he said they changed the dealer chain quite some time ago. Just odd really.

​​​

Old 01-21-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8

In my experience you're probably right. Corporate will flex muscles if/when dealer bad behavior is particularly or persistently severe or embarrassing but takes a hands-off approach in most cases. "It's a matter between the dealer and the customer and needs to be resolved at that level" philosophy.

And, yes, if escalation is ultimately called for, handicap access issues might be more meaningfully taken up with local government if municipal codes/laws are being violated.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-21-2018, 01:14 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

hell I have only been able to park in my ASSIGNED employee parking 4 times in the last 3 years. The rest of the time I have to find a open spot and hope I'm not blocked in when its time to go home. And Its NOT close to the building. And in service we have been double parked in the parking lot for most of the past 2 years

The following users liked this post:
Busa (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

That sucks... but it's maybe not so bad if you're reasonably able-bodied.

We (UK/Europe) tend to look after the handicapped, disabled, etc rather more than I gather the USA does. Still imperfectly, though

(By way of example we have laws REQUIRING companies to make adjustments to cope with such needs. Yeah, nanny state to some...)

Old 01-21-2018, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

We have quite a few laws regarding people with disabilities. Here's a brief tidbit that scratches the surface

ADA Access to Buildings and Businesses (Public Accommodations) - Overview - FindLaw

Cheers
DD

Old 01-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
hell I have only been able to park in my ASSIGNED employee parking 4 times in the last 3 years. The rest of the time I have to find a open spot and hope I'm not blocked in when its time to go home. And Its NOT close to the building. And in service we have been double parked in the parking lot for most of the past 2 years

Local government are toothless here, just not interested unless they are making money from it.
People vote with their feet like me and go elsewhere. Its not worth the hassle of kicking up where there is little or no empathy.
Parking issues are why town centers here are dying, people shop online.
Its a global market so we use it to our advantage.
Seeing as most goods in the UK shops come from China anyway, we just cut out the middle men and buy direct.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:53 AM
GGG

You began with a valid complaint about a Jaguar Dealer. It has now developed into a political rant and completely away from the original topic.

Take this to an appropriate place - NOT HERE.

THREAD LOCKED

Graham