MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Jaguar Mk2 340 Restoration to date

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 437 Likes on 363 Posts

Well managed to get 2 doors on and in epoxy primer, and a 3rd door in primer, the last door skin has arrived, so I will spin the car around and get that last 2 doors on shortly.

I have ordered more Zinc rich primer for the bonnet and boot, so will get the bonnet in primer before turning her around, I can then finish the boot getting that in final paint and finish the speaker box trimming etc. I can then run the cables in the boot for the lights fuel pump etc.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Mk2 340 Restoration to date-img_2253.jpg   Jaguar Mk2 340 Restoration to date-img_2255.jpg   Jaguar Mk2 340 Restoration to date-img_2256.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:01 AM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

Those came out really nice! You work very fast too

Old 10-28-2017, 04:40 AM
Veteran Member

Advice required please gents, when I took out the window frames from the doors I had to wrestle them quite a bit, I consulted the manual for guidance, but it simply says remove the regulator from the glass channel and remove, (I have shortened that a bit) it wasn't difficult as such, but there was no finesse shall I say, however I would not want to put them back in in the same manner with finished paint.

Can anyone explain the easy way to do this, do you have the window up or down when you install the regulator, I had the glass in one frame when it came out, not in another etc. I have to trial fit the frames shortly to re-drill some fixing points that had rotted out, so would like a better approach that I can adopt before final fit later with paint on the doors.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Old 10-28-2017, 07:04 AM
MK2
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Which is giving you trouble? Front or rear?
Lin

Old 10-28-2017, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Lin, both, but the rears are worse, it was mainly getting the glass disconnected from the regulators, do you leave the glass in the frame when you take it out, or leave it in the door, I am pretty sure the glass would not simply stay in the door, and I couldn't figure out whether to keep the window up or down to disconnect the regulator, or does the manual refer to actually lifting the glass out of the channel leaving the channel and regulator in the door, that would be easy if the rubber wasn't stuck to the glass with age at least if not something else !

I could do with a kind of :-

Wind the window down
Pull glass from channel
Undo frame fixings
Remove frame with glass
Remove glass channel
Remove regulator
Assemble in reverse order

I looked on valvechatter, and you seemed to miss this step, you took the frame out and then the regulator, but I couldn't see how/when you removed the glass.

I can get it back in, but I would rather learn from someone else's experience than damage the paint or break the glass learning for myself.

Hopefully you can give me one of your perfectly descriptive narratives.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Jon,
I can only speak about the “S” type, but the doors are essentially the same.
For removal, and for both front and rear, remove (wriggle out) the frame, with the glass still attached to the “sliding channel”. With the frame out, slide the glass sideways to disconnect it from the channel.

For the replacement of the glass, you place the glass into position on the window winding channel, and then slide the glass horizontally until it is between the legs of the window frame, then lower (a bit more wriggle) the frame into position.
For the rear windows, the manual suggests winding the glass up to about one third of its height, before lowering/inserting the frame.
Good luck!

Richard Hinds

TilleyJon (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Richard,

For my clarity of mind -

Start with window closed, wiggle frame up, glass will stay in place (frame raises in relation to the glass) then when the frame is clear, slide glass sideways disconnecting it from the regulator and remove glass ?
I assume "sliding channel" is the bottom channel that connects the glass to the regulator, and when you say disconnect it from the channel, is that glass from channel or channel(and glass) from regulator, I assume the latter.

Rear the same, but with the glass lower before inserting the frame ?

I seem to recall that my glass would not come out of the bottom of the frame (the frame was narrower across the legs at the bottom than the glass) but I will have to check, I am away this weekend so not with the bits. The S Type should be the same, it's only the frame height that is different, the doors are essentially the same

If the glass does slide out of the bottom of the frame legs that makes
sense, but I think that's where I had the problem, I had to try and disconnect the glass channel from the regulator whilst trying to get the frame out at the same time, so I needed to be an Octopus to do it, I ended up laying the door face down on the floor and having a right wrestle with it to get them out, I didn't get one frame out the same as another and in the heat of battle I can't recall if any way was any easier than another I just remember thinking how the hell am I going to get these back in without damaging the paint !!!

Old 10-28-2017, 11:37 AM
MK2

Jon, I have done this a couple of times recently. We are headed to a football game, but I will try to make a little video when we get home this evening.
Lin

Old 10-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Brilliant Lin, I even get to watch a movie, thank you.

No rush, and don't forget to add the credits at the end of the movie!

Old 10-28-2017, 01:07 PM
MK2

Jon,
I just sent two videos to your email address.I sent them in standard definition rather than high def because of trying to get this to you quickly. Hopefully it helps. Let me know. I can work on it some more when I get home from the game.
Lin

Old 10-28-2017, 06:20 PM
MK2

Did you get the videos, Jon? Were they helpful?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:16 PM
MK2

Two short videos demonstrating installation of a rear door regulator and the installation of window glass and a window frame.

Sorry I am not very good at video production, but hopefully these help explain the process.

Lin

The following 2 users liked this post by MK2:
Don B (05-17-2018), lickahotskillet (07-05-2018)
Old 10-29-2017, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

Fantastic, Spielberg eat your heart out !

This is perfect, I will try it out, I took mine out without that finesse, that now clarifies what Richard described.

You should put this on Valvechatter under the windows and doors post Lin.

Thanks to Richard and Lin, I now know what the procedure is for the window glass and frame installation.

This Forum and it's members are such a great resource.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, well done Lin! That sure beats my verbal description, and proves the old adage, “a picture is worth a thousand words”!
Jon-it seems pointless replying to your further query, as Lin’s video says it all.
As a point of interest, what filler or gasket will you apply between the top of the door frame and the underneath of the window frame? Good luck with your re-assembly process, which of course we will all expect to be videoed!!
Richard

Old 10-29-2017, 07:12 AM
MK2

Thank you gents,
Glad to hear that the videos hit the mark. Jon, I will post them on my valvechatter site. I am just always a little behind on getting things from my head or camera onto the site. As the Manual states, on the rear doors the window must be up about a third of the way up to fit the window frames. That is not required on the front. Spielberg, I am not, and I was just the actor anyway. My wife, Judith, was the videographer! Credit goes to her.
Lin

Old 10-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Well thanks to all especially Judith for her camera skills.

I have not looked at the seal as yet, there was some form of bituminous goo there to start, any one know what is normal, seam sealer would be good, but disassembly later if one wanted to would then be a nightmare !

Old 11-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member

I have managed to mount the bonnet, get it into epoxy primer, and also get the boot in primer.

Just the rear Valence, 1 door skin to finish, and hang the doors, scuttle vent and filler flap and the body is done !

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar Mk2 340 Restoration to date-img_2265.jpg   Jaguar Mk2 340 Restoration to date-img_2267.jpg   Jaguar Mk2 340 Restoration to date-img_2271.jpg  
Don B (05-17-2018)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:00 AM
MK2

Glad to see that progress. I thought things had gotten a little quiet in Bath!
Lin

Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

A little slow, been busy with work and away last weekend, there is never enough hours in the day, and with the short days and colder nights, one never gets as much done as one would like.

The Bonnet took quite a bit longer than I thought to line up, the repairs to the hinge mounting points threw it off, not a lot, just enough to make it a pain in the proverbial !
1/32nd " at that point makes a big difference at the center of the grill at the front, and when your trying to do it on your own it is not exactly simple !!!

Anyhow, the cussing is over for now. Just put the skin on the second back door, and it is nearly 1/4" shorter(front to back) than the other rear door skin, so have to gap it up with the MIG which is always fun.

Last edited by TilleyJon; 11-07-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

That is looking more and more like a finished car!