MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Stub axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Lin
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stub axle removal

Hello folks,
I have a 64 MKII. I want to install new front stub axles and therefore need to remove the originals. How does one remove the stub axles. I assume that they are a press fit and that one should use a press to push the back side so that the axle will push out of the carrier. Also assume the reverse for installation. I also know what happens when you assume things, so I thought I better ask. Nothing in the shop manual about this that I saw.

Hope someone who has actually done this can be of some assistance.

Thanks very much.

Lin

Old 10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi Lin

Yes, I have replaced a stub axle, and assuming the Mark 2 is the same as the XJ6, which I am sure it is, No, it is not a press fit, it is on a taper just like the balljoints except much bigger.

I removed the old one by first removing the hub carrier, (the upright), taking off the very large securing nut on the stub axle, then mounting it between two large baulks of timber with the stub axle facing downwards, but clear of the floor, then walloping it with a sledge hammer - out it came !! Clearly as it is scrap, you are not worried about damaging it. You then insert new stub axle and tighten up the nut to the specified torque. I think if I remember correctly, the nut is a self-locking type so you may need to buy another one. Then reassemble suspension as normal.

I actually found the job quite easy.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Lin
Default MKII Stub Axle removal

Thanks. That is what I meant by press fit. Rather than "hammer" it out, I was going to put it in a press and exert pressure from a press to pop it out. Thanks very much!
Lin

Old 11-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Lin
Default MKII Stub Axle removal

Last week I had enquired about the process for removing the stub axle from the carrier. I have a friend who owns a number of Kenworth dealerships, so I took the parts to one of his shops to use his press. I didn't actually do the job, but the fellow who did said that it took twenty tons of pressure to "pop" the first one, and about thirty to break the second one loose. Wow, that is tight! One of those "don't try this at home moments!"

I didn't press the new stub axles in hard, just put in place and will tighten down when I assemble the front end?

Just thought I would offer an update.

Lin

Lin Rose
1959 AN5 Bugeye - pure driving enjoyment, go-kart with a body.
1960 BT7 "The Bloody Beast" - owned since 1971, my first car and still have it!
1964 Jag MKII - current project

Old 11-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Lin,

Did you take a picture of the parts?

What Fraser described is a taper fit which requires some initial force to break the fit but will then fall apart. A press fit describes two parallel parts with sufficient interference that they will require to be pressed together, tighter than a push fit and looser than a shrink fit.

The main thing is that you got the job done, congrats!

Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The latest Jaguar Enthusiast Club magazine has a feature on maintenance of the Mk 2, S-Type, and 420 front suspension, and includes the official Jaguar technical drawing of the suspension layout. This confirms the stub axle is secured on a taper fitting.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
The latest Jaguar Enthusiast Club magazine has a feature on maintenance of the Mk 2, S-Type, and 420 front suspension, and includes the official Jaguar technical drawing of the suspension layout. This confirms the stub axle is secured on a taper fitting.
I didn't doubt you Fraser, I think the confusion was over the definition of a press fit, or maybe it was only me that was confused.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Lin
Default MKII Stub axle removal

There is no question that it is a taper fit. A quick look at either the manual drawings or inspection of a new stub axle confirms that. My question was about its removal. What I was asking in simple terms was " to remove do you strike the back side of the stubaxle with a sharp blow (big hammer) or do you push it out with a press? " The word "press" is getting confused. I was referring to the procedure and a tool - not the design and fitment of the component.

A sharp blow from a hammer may well have worked -I didn't try it. Using a press with considerable force did work. As was stated, the important thing is that they are out and replaced, and I am moving on to other work! Now, to get those bushings in-let's see, push, pull, press? Just kidding!

Thanks again.

Lin