MKI / MKII S type 240 340 & Daimler 1955 - 1967

Windshield Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Windshield Rubber

I bought a complete rubber kit from Welsh Jaguar for my MK2. I managed to get the rear screen in by roping it from the inside. I have read that i should now mastic it in to fill the gaps and basically glue it in place, but nothing really definitive. Any opinions?

I also tried to fit the front screen, but the rubber from Welsh is clearly too long, and doesn't look right to me. When I hold the shiny trim up against it, there is nowhere for it to go. I suspect this is the wrong part. Welsh is very responsive when you want to buy something, but so far I am not getting an answer now I need help.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Rubber-windshield-rubber.jpg   Windshield Rubber-windshield-trim.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Have you also got the rubber filler insert for the seals ? This has to be inserted before the chrome strips can be inserted into little lips that run all round the seal.

Windscreen sealing goo is generally always needed to ensure it doesn't leak water. This is not the same as gluing in the screen like modern stuff.

There is a special tool for inserting the filler strip as this was commonplace on most UK cars of the time. Older screen fitters may still have theirs in the bottom of their toolboxes somewhere.

Here is a description for the old-type Mini that has the same screen seal system.

Fitting Your Mini Windscreen, Rubber Seal and Insert Filler Strip ,mini parts, mini spares, uk classic parts

Old 09-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 223 Likes on 127 Posts

To Fraser's point, the front windscreen rubber goes on to the body first, and then the windscreen put up against that. The Kriss Motors progress blog has a section on Glass installation that describes the process quite well. (fairislepress.com).

If anyone knows a source for the installation tools, that would be extremely helpful!

Old 09-15-2016, 05:14 AM

So do I have to cut the rubber to shorten it and make it fit?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:57 AM

No- don't cut the rubber. See how it fits on the window frame, and if you have an issue with that, talk to Welsh. It is possible you have the wrong seal, but unlikely if the back one fit.
You might consider outsourcing this to a place that does Jaguar glass. From what I read, the front windshield is a bear.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:24 AM
Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Wondering if you're installing the gasket upside down. In your pic with the chrome trim the underside of the gasket is showing - the slot on this side fits the lip on the windshield opening in the tub. Here's a pic of the correct orientation - a fill strip goes into the center slot after fitting the glass to lock it in, and then the chrome pieces install under the shallow lips in the gasket. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Rubber-windshield-gasket.jpg  
Old 09-16-2016, 11:59 AM

Thanks Doug. My first attempts revealed that I must have it upside down. I have been trying it the other way around, and I can see why it should work now, but I cannot get it to go together no matter what I try.
I am about fed up with this project. Anyone want to buy a really nice rust free bare metal respray red MK2 with a chevy V8. Some assembly required?

Old 09-16-2016, 12:24 PM

Be patient. It took me several months to get a Porsche Targa window in. I got a lot of other stuff done by walking away when I got frustrated.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 487 Posts

I had a new one installed a while ago by an old school body guy.
It takes two people...
The rubber went in on the body and he put this blind cord in the rubbers' groove.
The windshield was set in place, lining up the rubber as best as possible to the edge of the glass.
We may have even tucked in the bottom first _ it's been a very long time.

As the cord is pulled out, it "lips" over the edge of the glass while the assistant applies gentle and even pressure to the glass as the rubber climbs over it.
The idea is to feed the glass into the rubber and keep it there as the chord eases it in place.
The chord is put in such a way that you can work it in from both left and right sides _ a bit at the same time.

Once it's in place you take your whole hand and firmly "slap" the windshield further in place, starting in the middle and working your way around to the edges in a circular motion.
It will settle some more when this is done.

The body guy had this stuff made by Ford, it didn't set up hard, but remained pliable after it dried.
Use a generous amount of sealant, don't be stingy _ make a mess.
Pull the rubber back with the tip of the caulking gun and get as much in there as possible.

After this step is done, install the round bead to lock the windshield in place.
Then install the chrome strip.
The strip has to be installed when the sealant is still wet.

EDIT:
I believe there was sealant applied to the body side of the rubber before it went in place, but I can't remember.
I suppose once the windshield is in place, one could seal the body side before the round channel locker went in.

Last edited by JeffR1; 09-16-2016 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
csbush (09-16-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 06:56 AM

Well, I decided to ignore the phone last night after everyone had gone home and have a go at this. Surprisingly I had good success with the windshield. I used masking tape to hold the rubber in place near the top of the A pillars, and the screen went in without too much fuss. I made my own tool for the lock strip, and with the assistance of some vaseline it went in on the second try. You have to make the tool so it does not try to rotate the rubber strip as it goes in. The whole process took less than an hour. I then wasted another hour on the chrome trim. I gave up and went home.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Rubber-windscreen.jpg   Windshield Rubber-windscreen-tool.jpg  
Old 09-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

Excellent. Congratulations. Please describe how you made that tool as I for one will be needing one eventually.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:00 AM

I used one of the pins that come with Preen Landscape Cloth. It was the right diameter at the bent end for the locking rubber to squeeze through. I found a steel bar (a drill bit will work) that was a good fit, then squeezed it in the vice to get close to a full loop with a handle. A bit of adjustment to flatten it, then bend the end and wrap the sharp end with tape. I did hammer it slightly to made it more diamond shaped to control the the lock strips better, but with some lube on the rubber it goes in easily.

Attached Thumbnails Windshield Rubber-image1.jpg   Windshield Rubber-image2.jpg   Windshield Rubber-image3.jpg   Windshield Rubber-image4.jpg   Windshield Rubber-image5.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
csbush (09-19-2016)