New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Never owned a Jag, but do now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Never owned a Jag, but do now!

Good morning everyone!

My name is David, but everyone calls me "Chief". Retired Navy with 22 wonderful years of service. I just came back home to NC coast to relax and take a break from the daily grind. So far I am loving it!

Anywayand have been eyeballing an XJ6 that was in my dads friends yard since I got here in May. I had too many projects to bite the bullet, so I passed it by. My 1992 Mercury Capri XR2 just caught fire last Sunday and I knew I was not going to rebuild it, so it was time to move on.

I have always liked Jags, but never owned one and I figured it was a sign to try my hand at one and treat myself a little bit. So, I went to check on the Jag to see if it was still there and well, I am now the proud recipient of a beautiful maroon '85 XJ6 with 111k miles on the odometer.

The ride, handling and classic lines of this thing are incomparable in opinion. A few details about the car. Maroon of course, with new tan leather interior. The car was sold to my dads friend due to the fuel system gremlins these things have. The whole fuel systen had the lines changed in it from the tanks to the injectors before it was sold to the gentleman I bought it from. It was parked due to not running right and then not running at all. It turns out when you switch the tanks one of the solenoids sticks and floods the car or completely starves it of fuel. So I have to keep the gas tank switch out and had to tee the tanks together. She runs great! I still have a few questions on a couple of things about cold starts in the morning, but I will post those in the appropiate forum.

This sight is a wealth of info and I appreciate what you guys are doing for all of us new guys and our "New" cars.

Just in case no one else has told you guys, "THANKS A TON FOR ALL OF THE GREAT HELP!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Welcome to the forum Chief and I hope that we can continue to help.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,147 Likes on 753 Posts

David, though I do not troll the older XJ sections as much as I should as moderator, I can tell you that when I do drop by and read some random threads, It amazes me the number of well versed and knowledgeable owners that do their own work over there. Practice your advanced search button skills we have available and read till your eyeballs hurt. Do not get too frustrated, these cars are resurrectable with some time and patience. The jag sitting around not running that long may have had some other ill-sideaffects you may have to deal with also...but crossing my fingers all is minor and she'll go easy on ya.

Enjoy the forums and Welcome!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome aboard David. I retired as Chief Submariner in 91. My kitty is a little newer than yours, 95 XJ6. Mine is parked right now while I wait on a heater pump. It's about 15 Degrees here and I'm not riding around without heat as much as I love driving the Jag. You should find answers to most of your questions here on this forum. There many knowledgeable people here. I am not one of them. Good Luck.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Tcarby,

How are you brother? nice to see a fellow shipmate on here. I was 14 years NAVAIR, worked and flew on P3s and S3s hunting you guys down when we did war games. The last 8 was recruting. Did 5 years in NW Metro Atalnta and did a tour running the officer recruiting programs for the state of New Mexico for the last three years and decided to bring it home after I completed my tour there.

I love my cat already! Just got it inspected to get it registered and she was given a clean slate for registration. The fuel thing keeps cropping up, but gets better as I drive it. I love this thing already and I have only had it for a day. You know us sailors, we fall in love with any pretty girl out there and this girl is a beauty!

To all of the other repsonses, thanks for the support and I will keep my fingers crossed too. My new kitty and I are heading to Myrtle Beach this weekend for some work during the day and getting my party on at night, I hope. I will have a chance to stretch her legs a bit and see how she does.

Again, great site with great info!

Respectfully,
David

Old 12-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Hi 82Secaturbo

First thing to do is go onto the internet and buy a copy of the originalJaguar Workshop Manual. It is a large dark green 1" thick book, nad there are a few around on the internet sites for car books etc. There is also the accompanying Spares Manual, same size and colour, but not so common. This has all the exploded drawings of the assemblies with part number references. Again a gold mine.

There are a few on eBay at the moment....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XJ6-Ser...-/320624627285

I had an '80 from 1988 to 2002 and would have been lost without these books.

The fuel system is needlessly complex with its switchover valves, I had much "fun" with mine, so you making the two tanks into essentially one tank is probably a good move. Only thing I found useful having two tanks was, as one is usually almost empty, (they are thirsty beasts), if I passed a fuel station with a good deal, I could always pull in and fill up !

Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Received 6,273 Likes on 5,470 Posts

Welcome Chief,

Glad to hear that you are getting the old girl whipped into shape.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  19.3 KB

Welcome aboard chief, great to have you here with us and +1 on all the other comments

Nice intro full of info.....thanks for sharing

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view all the sites features

Old 12-15-2010, 08:31 PM

Guys, I do appreciate the kind words, great input and the invaluable knowledge of the site. Thank you guys very much for such down in the trenches, no holds barred support on these fine cars.

Update: After I made the last posting I took her out for a spirited run to the nearby town 10 miles away. I eased into the just above speed limit run so she wouldn't be too shocked by a shear beat down only being back on the road a day. WOW! I heard great things about the torque curve and steady build of power in these motors, but I really got to feel it first hand today. I am hooked for sure.

This is not my first time behind the wheel of a powerful car by any stretch of the imagination. My cars range from turbo'ed and tuned Ford Probe Gts, Mustang SVOs and Merkur XR4tis, plus some very well built old school Fords such as several early model Mustangs, one with a firebreathing 351c 4v, plus a big and brutal '72 Tbird with fully built 460 with Police Heads. ( Can you tell I'm a Ford guy? Well I was until this bad A$$ cat came along.)

I have to say I have had more powerful cars over the years, but they were built with all the technological advancements and refinement of a stone axe compared to this car.

Guys keep the great info coming! I have some ideas as well, but will wait and share them after I get her running in top form.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, I wish you will like forums a lot
Enjoy your stay , make sure you check out other sections too