S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Jaguar S Type R and N/A transmission interchangeable

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I would probably scrap it and search for a replacement. That clutch is scorched badly...

Old 09-11-2018, 08:03 PM

There is a SC trans on Ebay currently in TX for $200 plus shipping...

Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I'm replacing the drums, I wish this transmission was available last week, I just got my master rebuild kit and I ordered new torque converter. I also ordered drum compressor tool to open and replace the O-rings inside that I didnt know existed lol So far just parts and oil cost me 1400$ and keep rising. I ordered the ZF ATF1 transmission fluid but it's not tan in color, its red and its says ATF134, do you guys know if it's still good to use it? The one on the left is what I'm use too.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Received 2,677 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Here is a link to the correct oil change components, including the correct fluid:

https://www.thectsc.com/products/oil...ce-186-61.html

Old 09-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ls3jaguar
Yes I'm replacing the drums, I wish this transmission was available last week, I just got my master rebuild kit and I ordered new torque converter. I also ordered drum compressor tool to open and replace the O-rings inside that I didnt know existed lol So far just parts and oil cost me 1400$ and keep rising. I ordered the ZF ATF1 transmission fluid but it's not tan in color, its red and its says ATF134, do you guys know if it's still good to use it? The one on the left is what I'm use too.
Lifeguard6 is OEM spec. Mercon SP is also compatible and cheaper. Not sure about that fluid. I for one wouldn't be using it.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 PM

Thank you guys for all the good info. i'm all ready to put the transmission together as soon as my drum compression tool comes in so i can replace the O-rings inside, other than that everything is in and ready. Mean time wile i'm waiting for the tool to arrive, i'm gonna try to replace the bushings, i purchased a bushing driver set specifically for ZF6HP19/21/26 transmissions.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 636 Likes on 469 Posts

i just did a fluid check and top off on my 06 str. The atf1 is a yes. Got the info off of the pentosin website. It gives great info. I believe the atf 134 was a no. It goes in a different application with a different clutch setup. The atf1 is also brown in color and smells the same as the original zf lifegaurd. That atf smell is unique i think

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pentosin_ATF134.pdf (113.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf
pentosin_atf1.pdf (131.1 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by scottjh9; 09-12-2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Addition
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (09-16-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 10:37 PM

Hello everyone again, couple of updates on the transmission rebuild. So I went and got a used transmission from the junkyard and took it a part, everything looks exactly the same as the SC V8 only few differences I noticed. Obvious one is the torque converter which I didnt get, second one is on the V6, starter bolts to the transmission, on the V8, it gets bolted to the engine but that could be starter style. The drums are all the same except the internal plates on couple drums, I used the E drums out of the V6 but I took my internals and transferred to it, also I damaged the C drum and ended up using the V6 one and transferred my internals, I didn't see any other changes in rest of the drums. Clutches and planetary gears are the same too, so as the rear park and speed sensor piece. I will include few pictures that I took during the process. The C drum or Center drum I damaged, I though it had bushing too but it didn't, looked like it did tho, that was the whole reason for me getting this transmission. Here are few pics. It's all ready to go on the car tomorrow. I'll update more once I have it in and do the test drive and adaption process. I also bought a new torque converter from company called Cobra Transmissions, 310$ shipped. It was listed as Xk 4.2L but had the same part number as mine and I test fitted and it's a direct fit also says it's a captive clutch / low stall like ours. I couldn't find one less than 500$. Any questions just ask and I'll try to answer as best as I can. Thanks for everyone's help.

The following 5 users liked this post by ls3jaguar:
Datsports (09-21-2018), gm_jim (09-22-2018), NBCat (09-21-2018), Panthro (09-23-2018), scottjh9 (09-21-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 02:37 AM

So I went for a drive and did the transmission adaption, all the gears shift really nice, besides the 3-4 shift, it shifts hard. It seemed like it got a little better after a while but still quite noticable. Everything is new besides the solenoids, they're remanufactured and tested solenoids according to the seller. Could it be faulty solenoid? I would hate to drain the oil again and remove the valve body. Do you guys know what it could be?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:26 PM

So I went for a drive and did the transmission adaption, all the gears shift really nice, besides the 3-4 shift, it shifts hard. It seemed like it got a little better after a while but still quite noticable. Everything is new besides the solenoids, they're remanufactured and tested solenoids according to the seller. Could it be faulty solenoid? I would hate to drain the oil again and remove the valve body. Do you guys know what it could be?
E Clutch possibly. Is it new or used? When the trans is working correctly the shifts should be barely noticed. Should shift like butter.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by abonano
E Clutch possibly. Is it new or used? When the trans is working correctly the shifts should be barely noticed. Should shift like butter.
Everything is new, I just put new clutches and steels, changed all the O-rings inside drums, replaced all the solenoids with refurbished ones and rebuild the valve body with Sonnax kit, everything is new inside the transmission, including the torque converter. Every shift is smooth besides going from 3rd to 4th during the transmission adaption process at low speeds, when I drive little faster, it's not as noticeable. I'm gonna clear the adaption and try it again.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:08 AM
Received 2,677 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Have a look at post 28 in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-207495/page2/

Old 09-25-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Have a look at post 28 in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-207495/page2/
I have the JLR SDD Mongoose and I updated the ECU and TCM with latest software. I wonder if the dealers software is the same or it's different, I'll give them a call and see if they'll tell me which software they have. Mean time I checked the fluid and some came out extra, after that, I cleared the adaption, updated the ECU and TCM and went for the adaption drive, did the adaption and it passed, 3 to 4 shift got a lot better but still tiny noticable. I'll drive few more times, if it doesn't completely go away, I'm gonna take the valve body out and check everything. I don't think it's anything mechanical cuz I triple checked everything before closing up, all the clutches passed the air check. I'm leaning towards valve body or solenoid issue here. I can't thrive the car now cuz I still don't have the title yet (4 months now) previous owner is taking his time, there was a extra signature so I had to send it back and have him get a new one. Kinda worked out cuz I spent all 4 months completely restoring this car, there were so many things missing out of this car and not working, had electrical problems, all the suspension rubbers were torn and cracked and front burner was damaged bad, pretty much only thing was working, it was the engine. I changed all the seals and plugs, you name it. Previous owner treated this car worse than old truck. I paid 1200$ for it but I probably have another 3500$ in it if not more, now everything is new, new tires. Needs alignment and tags. The rims were cracked and very bad curb rush, fixed those and painted. If I didn't know how to do these things myself, this car would of cost me over 10k in repairs. I still have to replace all 4 shocks, they're all leaking. Yaaay another 1400$ expense. Not easy owning a Jaguar. I have a 86 XJS with V8 LS3 T56 swap and I love it, it's got coilovers and outboard braking with build differential. My front calipers are a totally from a S Type R and Zo6 14 inch rotors.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=ls3jaguar;1967131]I have the JLR SDD Mongoose and I updated the ECU and TCM with latest software. I wonder if the dealers software is the same or it's different, I'll give them a call and see if they'll tell me which software they have. Mean time I checked the fluid and some came out extra, after that, I cleared the adaption, updated the ECU and TCM and went for the adaption drive, did the adaption and it passed, 3 to 4 shift got a lot better but still tiny noticable. I'll drive few more times, if it doesn't completely go away, I'm gonna take the valve body out and check everything. I don't think it's anything mechanical cuz I triple checked everything before closing up, all the clutches passed the air check. I'm leaning towards valve body or solenoid issue here. I can't thrive the car now cuz I still don't have the title yet (4 months now) previous owner is taking his time, there was a extra signature so I had to send it back and have him get a new one. Kinda worked out cuz I spent all 4 months completely restoring this car, there were so many things missing out of this car and not working, had electrical problems, all the suspension rubbers were torn and cracked and front burner was damaged bad, pretty much only thing was working, it was the engine. I changed all the seals and plugs, you name it. Previous owner treated this car worse than old truck. I paid 1200$ for it but I probably have another 3500$ in it if not more, now everything is new, new tires. Needs alignment and tags. The rims were cracked and very bad curb rush, fixed those and painted. If I didn't know how to do these things myself, this car would of cost me over 10k in repairs. I still have to replace all 4 shocks, they're all leaking. Yaaay another 1400$ expense. Not easy owning a Jaguar. I have a 86 XJS with V8 LS3 T56 swap and I love it, it's got coilovers and outboard braking with build differential. My front calipers are a totally from a S Type R and Zo6 14 inch rotors. Not much original left. I'll post some pics of both cars .

Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 PM

Car was complete trash but it's back to being a luxury sports car again.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:36 PM

Hello gents, i have couple of updates on the new rebuild, been messing with the valve body, had it in and out at least 7 times, so original valve body was trash. few of the valves were sticking inside, i obtained one from a V6 jag, it was 95% the same but not entirely so it didn't work, difference was 2 valves on the V8 don't have springs and 1 valve was larger, so after swapping parts left and right, i couldn't get it to work, finally i purchased a used valve body off of Audi, it's exactly the same as the STR minus the mechatronics computer, i put new separator plate and refurbished solenoids, took it out for a adaption test, everything went great, transmission works very good, still on its learning curve, it'll miss shift every once in a while but its getting better with every drive, so if you're having trouble finding a used valve body for STR in decent price, buy one out of a Audi, they're exactly the same, i took both of my STR and the Audi one a part side by side with all the valves out of the valve body and not a single difference. Hope this will help someone one day. Happy thanksgiving to all.

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (12-05-2020)