S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying ticking sound S-Type 3.0 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Annoying ticking sound S-Type 3.0 engine

I have read several threads regarding ticking sounds coming from the engine, but I have had slightly different experiences than those I have read. My ticking sound is there whether cold or warm engine. Unlike others, my ticking actually goes away when I accelerate. My first thought was that the increased oil pressure/circulation must be cushioning the metal-to-metal contact on the lifters, but with OHC I am thinking there should be no reason for a metal-to-metal punch as in a push rod hitting a rocker. I have read about the timing gear tensioners which makes sense considering the increase in tension on the chain as you rev it up would tend to silence the clicking chain against plastic guide. What doesn't make sense is that when I use a mechanic's stethoscope on the running engine, the sound seems to be loudest at the center of the passenger side head, and not the front of the head as you would expect if it were the tensioner. Is there anyone who can give advice based on my observations. My engine has 170,000 miles and runs great otherwise and still getting around 20-22mpg according to computer.

Thanks-
mtfife

Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtfife
I have read several threads regarding ticking sounds coming from the engine, but I have had slightly different experiences than those I have read. My ticking sound is there whether cold or warm engine. Unlike others, my ticking actually goes away when I accelerate. My first thought was that the increased oil pressure/circulation must be cushioning the metal-to-metal contact on the lifters, but with OHC I am thinking there should be no reason for a metal-to-metal punch as in a push rod hitting a rocker. I have read about the timing gear tensioners which makes sense considering the increase in tension on the chain as you rev it up would tend to silence the clicking chain against plastic guide. What doesn't make sense is that when I use a mechanic's stethoscope on the running engine, the sound seems to be loudest at the center of the passenger side head, and not the front of the head as you would expect if it were the tensioner. Is there anyone who can give advice based on my observations. My engine has 170,000 miles and runs great otherwise and still getting around
20-22mpg according to computer.

Thanks-
mtfife
having the same problem on my "06". took It to two different jag dealers and they cant tell me what it is. One of them even told me that it was normal but when I first test drove the car and when I drove it home it did not make this noise the other one suggested using a heavier motor oil. Do you hear it when you accelerate slowly? I hear it the most between 1000 and 1500 rpm but when I give it a little more gas I hear nothing but the engine just working. This noise started like two days after I changed the oil.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by mtfife
but with OHC I am thinking there should be no reason for a metal-to-metal punch as in a push rod hitting a rocker.
Yes there is. With a pushrod OHV and hydraulic lifters, the clearance is taken up by the hydraulic lifters. On a OHC engine with buckets, there is a physical clearance which always exists. Your clearances may have opened up on a specific valve over time due to wear on the lobe or bucket.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 AM

Then if the lobe or bucket can wear down, is it more likely to be the lifter than the cam shaft? (I would assume the camshaft is harder steel than the lifters.)

Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 AM

Does anyone have a good source for lifters on a Jaguar at a reasonable price? I have found nothing on ebay regarding rockers(lifters) or rocker assemblies.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by DavidRey
having the same problem on my "06". took It to two different jag dealers and they cant tell me what it is. One of them even told me that it was normal but when I first test drove the car and when I drove it home it did not make this noise the other one suggested using a heavier motor oil. Do you hear it when you accelerate slowly? I hear it the most between 1000 and 1500 rpm but when I give it a little more gas I hear nothing but the engine just working. This noise started like two days after I changed the oil.
I have already tried the thicker oil, but to no avail. Thanks for taking the time to respond with your experience. Everything helps me narrow it down.

mtfife

Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Didn't the posters just say there are no lifters......

Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Have you checked for OBD codes yet? You can have them with no light!

Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

mtfife, sounds like alot of money and time to throw a hail mary at replacing the lifters. Maybe seek out professional opinions (diagnostics) first.

What part of Texas are you in?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I always thought the 3.0 was just a Ford Duratec engine.. If that is the case I don't see why these wouldn't work.

Ford V6 2.5/ 3.0L Vin L G Duratec Lash Adjuster Lifters | eBay

Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 AM
Default ticking sound

durring the early 80-90s ford had a problem with 2 ltr pinto engine in which the camshaft lobes were not hardened enough and it erroded the lobes on said cam shaft started as annoying tap and eventualy went to miss fire as cam lobe wore completly.

from what you are discribeing i would sugest that you have a lazy hydrolic lifter,try changeing your engine oil and giveing it an engine flush prior to refilling with good quality engine oil is oil up to jaguar spec and not cheap rubbish,try this as the cheaper option or it may be you have the start of cam shaft failure...is it possible to remove rocker cover and examin lobes of shaft for "flatening"...do you experiance poor starting,missfire when cold,uneven idle ?..but need to sort sooner rather than later to save you some big money