S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Motor and Manual transmission swap into S-type

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Candy's Kitty
I'm also thinking I might want the window trim, and possibly the front bumper and grill. I was going to do a 2009 front clip conversion but the 03' STR bumper is growing on me.
Don't forget the engine.... BTW the LS7 conversion (if you haven't already picked up on the hints thrown here yet) is going to be MUCH more trouble than it's worth...

Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow, a fluid change totaled your car. I don't know what I would do. What did you say to them.
I Had No Words For Them..Well None I Can Say Here. I Cried, I laughed,..Cried Some More. I'm Keeping The Upper Dash Piece. My New One Is Broken. Headlights Are Hid But One Is Non-Str(All Chrome). Side Skirts, Window Trim, Bumper And Grill..Minus Growler(Stolen) Are Good To Go.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Well there was no 2009 S Type so probably can't put that front end on??

Old 04-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Well there was no 2009 S Type so probably can't put that front end on??
That's What I Was Thinking...

Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Candy, you're threads strain comprehension. They really do.

The following users liked this post:
JOsworth (04-30-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

I like the Idea of a LS7 in an S-type. Same basic project that I took on.
(I am attaching an image of the engine compartment as it looked a year + ago)

Mechanically, installing a LS3, or LS7 is easy and straight forward. It is the electrical integration that is time consuming and difficult.

My project car sat for 1-1/2 years because I worked out of town and never had time to work on it. I am gradually making progress, but at the rate I am going it will be a long time before it hits the streets.

If you are serious about putting in a LS7, then do 100% research on the electrical and make a plan on how and what you want integrated in the car.
I am going the route of basically rewiring the complete car. Swapping in almost all of the GM control modules.

As I see it, you have 3 electrical approaches. 1. Install the E-Rod version of the GM ECM and harness, and have have no instrument panel, and/or have to add in your own instruments, Plus many states don't accept the E-rod kit as street legal. 2. Rewire the car! 3. If you are an expert in GM and Ford CAN/LAN, backwards engineer all the codes and build a GM to Ford converter.

There is a second problem that started in 2010 in GM vehicles. GM started implementing their "Global A" control architecture. This approach requires that all the control modules associated with the Body Control Module be present and have their proper security and encryption codes. If not, the car will only run in a limp mode. If you have HP tuner Software, and know how to use it, you have to reprogram the ECM to ignore all the security crap. You are going to have to become a GM CAN expert or pay lots of money to have someone do it for you.

From another perspective, Late model cars operate as an integrated package.
Fuel systems have to be upgraded. If you want ABS and traction control you have to get all the reluctors and TCS sensors to work. You have to put in a clutch pedal and associated switch, and brake switch. You need an upgraded radiator, engine oil cooling system, Transmission cooler, custom fabricated oil pan and oil pump pick-up and all the associated sensors. A/C? Custom drive shaft.
Do you want Limited slip? I don't think the stock differential can handle much over 500 HP. So with the new engine, you might as well put in a beefier rear end.

Based on what I will eventually spend on my car, I'd budget about $30K to do the complete swap. For that kind of money, There are a lot of other cars out there you could purchase that would run circles around you S-Type swap.

I jumped into my swap cuz I thought it would be really cool to have a LS3 in a S-type, where I planned to eventually supercharge it and get around 600HP.
If I only new then what I know now!

I dare you to take on the project! Misery loves company!!!!

Attached Thumbnails LS Motor and Manual transmission swap into S-type-img_0484-copy.jpg  
CruizinKev (01-14-2016)
Old 04-30-2013, 05:20 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe

Mechanically, installing a LS3, or LS7 is easy and straight forward. It is the electrical integration that is time consuming and difficult.

My project car sat for 1-1/2 years because I worked out of town and never had time to work on it. I am gradually making progress, but at the rate I am going it will be a long time before it hits the streets.

If you are serious about putting in a LS7, then do 100% research on the electrical and make a plan on how and what you want integrated in the car.
I am going the route of basically rewiring the complete car. Swapping in almost all of the GM control modules.

As I see it, you have 3 electrical approaches. 1. Install the E-Rod version of the GM ECM and harness, and have have no instrument panel, and/or have to add in your own instruments, Plus many states don't accept the E-rod kit as street legal. 2. Rewire the car! 3. If you are an expert in GM and Ford CAN/LAN, backwards engineer all the codes and build a GM to Ford converter.

There is a second problem that started in 2010 in GM vehicles. GM started implementing their "Global A" control architecture. This approach requires that all the control modules associated with the Body Control Module be present and have their proper security and encryption codes. If not, the car will only run in a limp mode. If you have HP tuner Software, and know how to use it, you have to reprogram the ECM to ignore all the security crap. You are going to have to become a GM CAN expert or pay lots of money to have someone do it for you.

Fuel systems have to be upgraded. If you want ABS and traction control you have to get all the reluctors and TCS sensors to work. You have to put in a clutch pedal and associated switch, and brake switch. You need an upgraded radiator, engine oil cooling system, Transmission cooler, custom fabricated oil pan and oil pump pick-up and all the associated sensors. A/C? Custom drive shaft.
Do you want Limited slip? I don't think the stock differential can handle much over 500 HP. So with the new engine, you might as well put in a beefier rear end.

Based on what I will eventually spend on my car, I'd budget about $30K to do the complete swap. For that kind of money, There are a lot of other cars out there you could purchase that would run circles around you S-Type swap.

I jumped into my swap cuz I thought it would be really cool to have a LS3 in a S-type, where I planned to eventually supercharge it and get around 600HP.

Thank you. Finally some good advice.

My main objective is to do a manual transmission swap. So hearing this from you I'm thinking it might be more practical to maintain the AJ motor, run a standalone ECM and install a some sort of manual trans. Then link it to the stock S-type shifter and manual pedal box. This is just a thought at the moment and I know that it isn't that simple. Would this be more practical though?

I'm in CA so after doing the research, I have realized even if I did the LS swap I wouldn't ever pass smog due to the laws here.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Thank you. Finally some good advice.

My main objective is to do a manual transmission swap. So hearing this from you I'm thinking it might be more practical to maintain the AJ motor, run a standalone ECM and install a some sort of manual trans. Then link it to the stock S-type shifter and manual pedal box. This is just a thought at the moment and I know that it isn't that simple. Would this be more practical though?

I'm in CA so after doing the research, I have realized even if I did the LS swap I wouldn't ever pass smog due to the laws here.
So, you didn't even bother to read the thread BY HIM that I told you to read.

So, now I assume you will not listen to the next comment either...

The manual transmission used in the S Type in all markets was only connected to the V6 (Petrol in NA and Petrol and Diesel in other markets). So very similar electrical issues will present themselves in that swap as well...

I give up....

Originally Posted by totalimmortal363
Candy, you're threads strain comprehension. They really do.
Oh you sooooo speak the truth there.....

totalimmortal363 (05-02-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Start with a body shell and swap in EVERYTHING you want - no Jag modules at all.

Or don't start.

And for goodness sake do lots of research!!

Old 01-14-2016, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tijoe

Any updates on this LS3/S-Type swap?