S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May move out of STR into an XKR

Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default May move out of STR into an XKR

Brother S-Type forum members. I'm leaning towards an XKR. Not exactly sure when, but it may happen sometime this year. My hard run 140k mile 03 STR has a slight connecting rod knock. Initially a repower was on the menu but I have other obligations and this repair is too much for me at this juncture. We're amidst a large home addtion, new practice location, etc. It has some trade-in value. Don't worry, I'll still be around.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it just me but every engine or trans failure has been in the 03s that I've read about. I know the str's were the first to get the 4.2 were there any differences threwout the years with the engine and trans

Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Damn, sorry to hear that bfsgross, was really holding out you getting at least the ECUTG tune and more... I totally understand how the mileage and motor issue is turning you off from dumping further money into the STR, but from reading all your posts, it sounds like you've had a blast in your STR the past few years, so at least you'll have some good memories!

XKR is a sweet car, definitely can't hold anything against for upgrading to that particular jag! Keep us posted with how it goes, and how the trade-in goes...

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heart felt support. IMO, the 03-04 STR was the most muscular looking of the STR's. It's wierd how one will take an opposite direction when faced with obligations. Though depthly in love with the STR, I'm at "this" crossroad of fulfilling obligations to my family and home. In entry back to Jag land, it's likely an 07+ XKR will be added to the corral mid or late this year. As a testament to its (STR) capabilities, this supercharged Jaguar was underrated. Though moderately modified, my 03 STR could duel it out with most modern muscle. Not bad for a small displacement s/c v-8 rated at 400 chp? STR owners: Do the mods I've performed and add the ETG ecu tune for a 470+ chp @ 500 lb/ft trq. STR.

project1320 (04-13-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Your contributions to the forum will be here long after you leave. Many thanks!

bfsgross (04-10-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

You owned it for half it's life right? How often did you redline it and row it through the gears?

bfsgross (04-14-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm really going to miss your help, encouragement and advice, Seth. Have to agree that it seems prudent to move on, the change will refresh you.

Not to mention that McJaguar's recent problem started with a "knocking sound". Don't wait till your fuel rail develops a leak!

bfsgross (04-14-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He'll be back! nothing like a bad *** rare sedan with big brakes, that handles and has some HP! There are no sedans out there that has all of the stated for the price of these! Good luck with the XKR if you go the that route

bfsgross (04-14-2013)
Old 04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and advice you given. I really appreciated your feedback. And good luck with the XKR!!! IMHO, the XKR is one of the most beautiful cars on the road today or any day for that matter. So enjoy and thanks again!

bfsgross (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by amgeater
Is it just me but every engine or trans failure has been in the 03s that I've read about. I know the str's were the first to get the 4.2 were there any differences threwout the years with the engine and trans
No, the STR's weren't "the first" to get the 4.2. The naturally aspirated 4.2 was introduced at the same time. Also, the failures being "most common" in 03's is purely a result of age. No "first run" issues with the drive train. Remember, the 4.2 was a revision of the 4.0, not a new motor. The drive train remained a Jaguar standard through 2009 when the 5.0 was rolled out.

Also note..... @bfsgross has a modded 140k mile car... How many cars do you know can handle mods up to 140k? Also, he just "thinks" it may be time, it hasn't actually failed.

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Brother S-Type forum members. I'm leaning towards an XKR. Not exactly sure when, but it may happen sometime this year. My hard run 140k mile 03 STR has a slight connecting rod knock. Initially a repower was on the menu but I have other obligations and this repair is too much for me at this juncture. We're amidst a large home addtion, new practice location, etc. It has some trade-in value. Don't worry, I'll still be around.
Meh.... bfsgross..... you're just making excuses to dump the sedan to get a sports car......

I'm still trying to figure out how to "move on" the 600ES to my son and put a XJS in the garage........

bfsgross (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hello fellas. The motor may not have a knock but rather a worn cam follower and the brake calipers need replacements. It's as powerful as before. As for how many times she's been redlined? The ECU and rev limiter assures that these motors avoid the "true redline", which in my opinion is approx. 6700 rpm...the 4.2 s/c is reasonably bullet proof. Give it good oil and don't let it go low and she won't let you down.
As most are aware, I was alluding to an ETG tune. With the amount of things we have on our table (home addition, etc.)...there had to be a halt to my madness. Going over my own posts of modding, it began to be unvieled to myself the lack of regard to setting aside much needed $$ in accomplishing family/home projects. 51 years old/going on 18 is truelly fun and will be revisited in the future cause I "never grew up" and never will! The Jag power bug is extremely difficult to hold down for any extended period of time. Ha!
The car will eventually go on one of my patients car lot and he's keeping his eye on an 07 XKR. One thing I wish to also share is that I'm was avid yachter in the 40-50 ft. range. Been recently specing this area too. Otherwise I'm still here to BS and help.

JOsworth (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

--- 51 years old/going on 18 is truelly fun and will be revisited in the future cause I "never grew up" and never will!
Don't worry--it gets better---wait until you reach 69 going on 18!!!

bfsgross (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Way to go 69 Six Rotors!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

BFGross, why dont you step into a car that already has a twin screw:

Chrysler Crossfire 1/4 Mile Drag Racing Timeslips - DragTimes.com

bfsgross (04-21-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Hi performance mods, building a new home addition and thinking about a 50ft Yacht!

That's some full plate.

I think the yacht might be the killer though ... LOL

I remember the line a famous old sail maker in SF used when they interviewed on TV as he was retiring from his 60 year old business. They asked him if he was going to miss sailing.

"Oh if do then I'll just step into a cold shower with my clothes on, break my nose and tear up $100 bills"

It's hard unwinding from car projects. I've got two that are dragging on which is why I leave the STR relatively untouched.

I'm about to change the interior fascia pieces to the aluminum style but that and some wheel touch ups is limit for me on that car.

Good luck with all the changes.

I guess the LSD is off the list for now eh?

XFR? no mods needed ...

Hello fellas. The motor may not have a knock but rather a worn cam follower and the brake calipers need replacements. It's as powerful as before. As for how many times she's been redlined? The ECU and rev limiter assures that these motors avoid the "true redline", which in my opinion is approx. 6700 rpm...the 4.2 s/c is reasonably bullet proof. Give it good oil and don't let it go low and she won't let you down.
As most are aware, I was alluding to an ETG tune. With the amount of things we have on our table (home addition, etc.)...there had to be a halt to my madness. Going over my own posts of modding, it began to be unvieled to myself the lack of regard to setting aside much needed $$ in accomplishing family/home projects. 51 years old/going on 18 is truelly fun and will be revisited in the future cause I "never grew up" and never will! The Jag power bug is extremely difficult to hold down for any extended period of time. Ha!
The car will eventually go on one of my patients car lot and he's keeping his eye on an 07 XKR. One thing I wish to also share is that I'm was avid yachter in the 40-50 ft. range. Been recently specing this area too. Otherwise I'm still here to BS and help.

bfsgross (04-21-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just looked up this ETG Tune and see that it's only $1,395.00, so whats stopping you guys from pulling the trigger? I'm guessing no proven data on the gains because no one has done it yet?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

lol, 'only' 1,400? Pretty steep for what's unproven gains, even ETG doesn't want to commit to any figures because they really don't know themselves; they're just repackaging some other european companies tune and providing you with the laptop/hardware to flash through the obd port if I'm not mistaken, which you then send back.

1,400 would be reasonable if it made significant gains AND remapped the TCM shift points for gears 1-3, which it won't so... bfsgross is no longer our STR test mule with ETG tune, so you're more than welcome JC, to fill his spot!

Be sure to do a before dyno, install tune, and re dyno on same dyno in similar conditions, thanks!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

You'd think ETG would offer a money-back guarantee, especially for the first here to post before & after dynos. The lack of such guarantee really has me questioning the gains.

Don't fail to measure AFRs because a tune that goes too lean would not be good.

Last edited by JagV8; 04-19-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry for my tardy return to my thread. An ETG ecu tune though without hard data, will most likely improve engine performance. Everyone with an ETG tune on their s/c 4.2 and 5.0 profess to this. At the present, my 03 STR is for sale on one of my patients car lots. He said the motor is fine and strong. He's looking around for a luxery SUV or 07 XKR. Some divergence in styles huh? Again, with moving my office next month, building a large home addition, moving forth with more economically unrecoupable STR mods eventually seeped into my psyche.
Speaking for myself: One can't drive slowly and carefully in a modded STR (460 chp @ nearly 500 lb/ft trq.). In the morning 42 mile highway ride to the office, I'd begin the drive with civil obedience and gentleman-like candor. This gradually gaveway...deteriorating into downright nefarious disrespect for myself and others, often breaking the law with ludicrous speed and lane changes.
What I described is a pathomenotic description of my driving habits and career. Ha! It's cyclic and predictable. A lower powered car will come into my life, boredome sets in, remedied by a high powered car...never seeming to grow up. LOL!

Last edited by bfsgross; 04-21-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:24 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Just have to ask you one more question, Seth, before you leave the STR scene. If avos were to post this today:

"twin-screw S/C development for the STR is now complete, and kits are available immediately. Price range $5000-$10000, power increase range 100HP - 200 HP"

...would you still be going to an XFR? Do you feel that after 140k miles the STR engine might not go for much longer with that increased power?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: May move out of STR into an XKR