S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S-type rear doors lock but won't unlock HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question S-type rear doors lock but won't unlock HELP!

I have just bought a 2004 S-Type Sport 2.7 Diesel V6 Jag. Lovely car but has a few niggles because it's old.

The rear doors will always unlock on the fob but will not lock. There is no sound of the solenoid/actuator even trying to unlock them.

Reading through previous threads about doors we are confused as to whether this requires both rear door actuators replacing or the control unit (is it in the driver's door or somewhere else?).

Does anyone have an answer?

Thank you! Melandra

Old 06-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Melandra! Please stop by the Welcome section and introduce yourself so you can achieve a proper welcome-aboard, the mods will take notice of you, you'll get a leg up on the required # of posts for full membership benefits...in general, lots of good things will come of it!

Now, how are the rear doors getting locked? Also, I'm mildly confused when you say they will always unlock on the FOB but not lock, then in the next breath, you say there is no sound of the actuator even attempting to unlock them?

Taking a shot in the dark here, it sounds like you are able to lock and unlock the rear doors via some means - if both evolutions (lock and unlock) are effected by the actuators, they are likely not your problem. If you are only able to lock them manually and only unlock them with the FOB (Have you tried the key-in-driver-door method? the dash button?) then they MAY be the problem but I'd find it quite dubious that both rears would degrade at the same time. But perhaps, it was like this when you obtained it? In which case one rear door may have failed weeks or months before the other, under previous ownership?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

On North American spec cars at least and other than the key fob, the rear doors will not unlock unless the button on the centre console is pushed or a front door is opened first.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member

Dangit Mikey, you're slipping!
I have 2 NA Spec s-types that testify otherwise: Key in driver's door, 1/4 turn CW locks all doors, 1/4 turn anti clockwise unlocks driver's door, an additional 1/4 turn anti clockwise unlocks the three remaining doors.
An additional turn-and-hold in either direction initiates global close/global open, respectively.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Dangit Mikey, you're slipping!
I have 2 NA Spec s-types that testify otherwise:
No, I said OTHER than the key fob.

I think the rear doors being locked internally and externally until the console button is pushed is a dangerous feature. What if in the case of an accident the driver is incapacitated- the rear passengers are trapped. Not good.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

My mistake, I draw a distinction between the key and the buttons on the FOB.
I see your point from the perspective of sitting in the car trying to make egress, or trying to access the rear seat occupants in the event of an emergency.

I thought we were responding to the OP, offering various ways I know to make the rear doors lock/unlock from a trouble-shooting perspective.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1

I thought we were responding to the OP, offering various ways I know to make the rear doors lock/unlock from a trouble-shooting perspective.
Yup. I think your first post and possibly my first pretty well covered it. Hopefully the OP will return to clarify the problem.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies! I should have said that there was no sound of the solenoid even trying to LOCK the back doors... We have been pushing the locks closed from the front and then central locking the front.

Yes, we bought the car like this - already had the problem so we don't know how it happened - it is our first Jag and we love it. But we need to get this niggle sorted out.

So should we buy an actuator for one side and try fitting it?

Melandra

Old 07-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

I had a rear door lock actuator faiure on the 05 last fall, but for the life of me can't remember the particulars of its symptoms, whether it would lock but not unlock, unlock but not lock, or just sit there like tar-baby. I replaced it following Rick's excellent how-to guide: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ics-faq-65657/
and as you can see, in his case, there was actuator noise, but no locking/unlocking.
It's not a terribly easy nor pleasant fix to perform as "troubleshooting" so you may want to work your way through the JTIS wiring schematics and engage in significant troubleshooting to confirm it is the actuator before changing it. I'm sorry, I somewhat loathe chasing the trons around these S-types, but there are members here who live for the experience...hopefully they'll stop by and offer some tips on how to confirm or deny that it is the actuator.