S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seafoam has anyone ever used in their s or str?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default seafoam has anyone ever used in their s or str?

So I was in auto zone buying stuff and came across Seafoam. They have all different ones so to start I bought the one you put in your gas tank did it yesterday and today absolutely beautiful .... Is driving better than yesterday.
My questions are?
1- has anyone used it in their air intake system?
2- it says to do oil change after putting in oil, I YouTube's oil changes seem easy enough BUT on s type is it easy?
3 they make one for the trans fluid.... I heard never touch that . any opinions?
Thanks in advance!

Old 11-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

It's too late but please don't waste money again on Seafoam or anything similar. Although it's an excellent product for it's original purpose of unclogging gummed up carbs on Pre-WWII two stroke outboards, it has no benefits in a modern fuel injected four stroke car engine.

If you still believe that it works miracles, instead of spending X dollars per bottle, spend 50 cents and make it yourself. Seafoam is nothing more than 50% light motor oil, 30% naptha and 20% rubbing alcohol, a classic snake oil recipe if there ever was one.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:15 AM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hilaryv215
So I was in auto zone buying stuff and came across Seafoam. They have all different ones so to start I bought the one you put in your gas tank did it yesterday and today absolutely beautiful .... Is driving better than yesterday.
My questions are?
1- has anyone used it in their air intake system?
2- it says to do oil change after putting in oil, I YouTube's oil changes seem easy enough BUT on s type is it easy?
3 they make one for the trans fluid.... I heard never touch that . any opinions?
Thanks in advance!

Gas Tank.... I stopped using fuel additives in the STR after Techron seemed to cause an O2 sensor to go bad. I still use Techron in the Ford F250. Seems like you cleaned your injectors with no ill effect to other components

Intake System.... I only used it once and that was on my old Ford F150 truck not the STR. It was introduced to the intake to aid in removal of the problematic 5.4 V8 spark plugs (the long plugs that tended to break off not the earlier ones that tended to spit out). I don't plan to ever use it again for any vehicle. If you need to clean your throttle body there are other methods.

Oil Additive.... I never use oil additives for engine oils

Trans Oil Additive... Whatever goes in there should meet the trans manufacturers spec.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

None of the ingredients in Seafoam is an effective injector cleaner. It could be argued that burning oil might actually contribute to clogging but 8 ozs. of oil diluted in 17 gal of gas (a full tank) won't make any difference anyway.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:58 PM

Wow.
Good information. Thank you guys!

Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seafoam is what you use after more than a few beers when you and a buddy are in a big empty parking lot and want to see your cheap 90s era Honda do donuts while spewing a crazy amount of smoke from the exhaust.

Fuel system: Premium gas only. Gas with techron in it from the pump, maybe better. If need be as a placebo, Techron once a month.

Transmission fluid: Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Change after 60-70k with factory fluid, Mercon SP (if you have the Zf 6HP26 and want to go the cheap route, maybe with some Lubeguard Red for added friction modifiers that you lose between the ZF Lifeguard6 and the SP).

Trottle Body and MAF: CRC makes plastic-safe throttle body cleaner and a MAF cleaner.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM

Lol I don't think there is a cheap route with MY jag I was just looking for something extra that may make it smoother.

I do have a second question
Jag as trucker hood ornament
I purchased my 02 s type at 123,321 it now has 124.478 miles.
My mechanic said it runs great but I read about trans fluid change. Someone told me it'll mess up my trans.... Did they gradually add the fluid in or change it out completely

Old 11-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hilaryv215
Lol I don't think there is a cheap route with MY jag I was just looking for something extra that may make it smoother.

I do have a second question
Jag as trucker hood ornament
I purchased my 02 s type at 123,321 it now has 124.478 miles.
My mechanic said it runs great but I read about trans fluid change. Someone told me it'll mess up my trans.... Did they gradually add the fluid in or change it out completely
You have the Ford 5R55N tranny in an 02 V6 S-Type. Check the service history for any mention of a transmission fluid change or service. If the fluid hasn't been changed, your'e due for it. People get more touchy about the 03 and later S-Type trannies with ZF 6HP26 transmissions as Jaguar advertised those as "sealed for life" (life meaning the life of the warranty, but even ZF admits the fluid starts breaking down after 60-70k miles -- my 05 X-Type went 100k before its fluid change when I noticed some irregular shifting).

I would NOT get a transmission fluid flush. Just drain and replace. I believe that on the 02, like the 03 and later, the fluid needs to be drained and replaced under the vehicle, with the vehicle level at a specific temperature and ideally lifted off the floor. Easiest is to bring the car to a knowledgable mechanic. If you want a sense of how to do it yourself, there are multiple posts in the forums on changing the fluid on a 5R55N. Like this one from Grant Francis (link in a "How To" Sticky in the S-Type forum page)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ain-refill.doc

Old 11-17-2014, 11:10 AM

I definitely wont touch iy myself. Thank you for the information!