S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STR Water Pump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 83 Likes on 53 Posts
Default STR Water Pump Failure

My 2005 STR is in pieces since I am replacing the water pump.

The car recently passed 50K miles and is 6 years old. What parts have you all had to replace on your STRs? For example...sensors, pulleys, belts, hoses, etc. At this point, I have already purchased and have on hand the following new parts:
  • water pump w/ gasket
    thermostat w/ gasket
    belt
    idler pulley
    cap

I am trying to purchase the DCCV from a Ford dealership today since it appears from this forum that the Lincoln LS valve is the same part for a lower cost. I hope I purchase the correct part. Any additional "confirmed" part number information here would be greatly appreciated. It looks like it can be purchase from Rock Auto but they have already sent me the wrong water pump and I don't want to have the car apart, waiting for parts, for another week.

Even if it is not associated to the STR's heating/cooling system but is easier to get to since I have the front of the car in pieces, please still chime in too.

Many thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

The alternative part # for DCCV is already listed in the confirmed parts and often cheapest from Amazon.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Default DCCV Lincoln LS p/n YG378, cross for 2005 STR

Going to get the DCCV (p/n YG378) from parts department now. Anybody had this component fail a second time? If so, what manufacture failed the second time?

As of today, Ebay has them for $88 with free shipping.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The only STR part I've replaced so far is the driver.

Oh, and the air/oil filters. Ha.

If you don't mind, I'm sure a write-up with a few pics might serve some others down the road doing the same repair(s).

Good luck, hope it all goes smooth for you.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Default Done with the water pump installation

I will post additional details regarding the install later but...

Wow! This was not an easy task for one person. Removal of the the fan shroud is way more difficult than it should be since there are many items needlessly attached to it. Some of the items included: three wire harnesses, the DCCV , plumbing for the right and left side remote radiators (2005+ STR only) and another valve which I could not determine its purpose. The initial tear down took me 6 1/2 hours since I cleaned every part of the engine and engine bay as part of the process. It took me 4 hours to reinstall everything twice since the water pump leaked after the first installation. The second tear down only took me 1 1/2 hours since I'd done it before, had all the correct tools handy and not a lot of cleaning to do. I'll post more details soon.

Last edited by 1320racer; 03-05-2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Sorry to hear about the pain but I expect some other owners will be pleased to have details.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What parts have you all had to replace on your STRs?
Just over 60k I had the waterpump and thermostat fail. The pump was covered under warranty, however, the thermostat wasn't and I had to fork out the $500 they charged me to replace it. Bad timing too, I was 700 miles from home when it went out.

At 80k, it started misfiring, again when I was out of town. They replaced two coils and two spark plugs, $105 for each coil, $13 for each plug. Even though if I walk in to their repair shop and get the coil myself I'm only charged $55 for each one. Another $275 in labor to replace the two coils/plugs, ridiculous. Claimed it was a 3 hour job. Next time it misfired, I diagnosed which cylinder myself, bought a coil for $55 and replaced it in about a minute in the parking lot. Again, coil failures were not covered under my warranty. (I had more than just the basic warranty also)

Then at 81k I had oil leaks. Had cam cover gaskets replaced and spark plug seals. $1k repair bill, but fortunately warranty picked up this one, after I argued with them.

Only issue I still have is figuring out whats wrong with the transmission and why it doesn't shift properly.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:47 AM
Default Like clock-work, every 50K miles the water pump may fail?

I have not driven my 2005 S Type-R much the last several years but I still enjoy driving it when I do.

Three months ago, I noticed a very faint smell of coolant after driving aggressively but could not locate a leak. After driving just over 200 miles the past several months, the low coolant light briefly turned on but I still could not see the source of the leak. My temp gauge never moved from the center position and I topped off the coolant right away...it really didn't need much.

Tonight I plan to go to Advanced Auto Parts and see if they still have the pump to pressurize coolant systems (Part No. 940427
Link: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...7&showTitle=no
For me, it is easier to locate a leak on a cool motor and engine bay.

Maybe the water pump failed again. If so, it fails like clock-work...
  • Water Pump Failure: 6 yrs. @ 50,100 miles
  • Water Pump Failure: 12 yrs. @ 100,350 miles

Place your guess on other possibilities for the cause of the coolant leak.?.?.?
  • CCV
  • any number of out-of-sight hoses

I am praying it is NOT the dreaded hose beneath the supercharger. I changed that hard-to-get-to hose as a precaution when I had things all taken apart before 60K miles. When I changed that hose, it appeared to be in "like new" condition.

Last edited by 1320racer; 07-27-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: edit link to Advanced Auto Parts
Old 07-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Never discount the lousy plastic coolant expansion tank. They can leak at the black plastic nozzle seams or at the opaque plastic tank seams. When that happens, the escaped coolant can be ejected in spray form which can instantly vaporize due to the engine bay heat (making it damn near impossible sometimes to trace the source of the leak)....

I sure hope it is indeed your tank and not your under-the-supercharger hose....

Good luck and keep us posted on what you discover....

The following users liked this post:
1320racer (07-27-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Avoid the cheap Airtex/GMB type pumps that use a paper gasket and no o-ring. When I bought my STR a couple of years ago the cheap paper gasket from a previous repair had failed (but the pump was OK). I replaced it with an ACDelco unit that used the original metal gasket with rubber surrounds and a separate o-ring. Rockauto's website illustrates the two type of pumps and gaskets. The cheaper pumps don't even have a provision for an o-ring.

Last edited by gm_jim; 07-28-2017 at 02:10 PM.
1320racer (08-02-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by gm_jim
Avoid the cheap Airtex/GMB type pumps that use a paper gasket and no o-ring. When I bought my STR a couple of years ago the cheap paper gasket from a previous repair had failed (but the pump was OK). I replaced it with an ACDelco unit that used the original metal gasket with rubber surrounds and a separate o-ring. Rockauto's website illustrates the two type of pumps and gaskets. The cheaper pumps don't even have a provision for an o-ring.
I also used AC Delco in my Jaguar and had zero issues.

1320racer (08-02-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM
Received 12,736 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by gm_jim
Avoid the cheap Airtex/GMB type pumps that use a paper gasket and no o-ring. When I bought my STR a couple of years ago the cheap paper gasket from a previous repair had failed (but the pump was OK). I replaced it with an ACDelco unit that used the original metal gasket with rubber surrounds and a separate o-ring.

Just to chime in belatedly thanks to the bump from the spammer, the Airtex AW4124 water pump appears to be identical to the one currently sold by Jaguar (Airtex is an OEM to Ford, GM, Chrysler and others). Here are photos of the two (thanks to Box for the first photo):

If I'm not mistaken, the ACDelco pump has a steel impeller, which may not be optimal because OAT coolant does not protect steel impellers from cavitation erosion or the aluminum cooling system from electrolysis erosion due to two dissimilar metals in the presence of electrolytes. These are reportedly the reasons Jaguar and many other automakers use plastic impellers. It is telling that, after having problems with early Nylon impellers, Jaguar did not replace them with steel, but with improved plastics. The Airtex pump has a white plastic impeller with a black inner ring that appears identical to the ones in the pumps sold by Jaguar.

But you're right about the gaskets. The Airtex AW4124 from Rock auto comes with a paper gasket, not the OE style metal type with rubber edging around the apertures. Of course, paper gaskets have been used successfully for the past century or so, when properly torqued. I've installed the Airtex pumps with paper gaskets in an X100, X308 and two X350s and all are going strong with no leaks. Rock Auto also sells an OE type metal/rubber gasket, part number K31850 by Mahle Original/Victor Reinz. So the Airtex pump and Mahle gasket might be a good alternative to the ACDelco pump, collectively about the same price, and possibly closer to, or identical to, the Jaguar OE pumps and gaskets.

By the way, our member Six Rotors has confirmed that Jaguar now supplies Airtex/FoMoCo 5C1420 coils in Jaguar boxes as replacements for 4.2L S-Types and X350s, which may lend some credence to my suspicions that Airtex also makes the water pumps for Jaguar. (The coils are $107.00 from Jaguar, $30.99 from Rock Auto).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-24-2017 at 11:19 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (09-24-2017), EssOess (09-24-2017), Panthro (09-26-2017)