S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission slips in "D" mode.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission slips in "D" mode.

Hello. I have a 2002 Jaguar S-Type Sport 4.0 with 180,000 kilometres. The other day, on a trip about 200 kilometres, I spent the afternoon with a friend of mine. Cutting to the chase, when I dropped off my friend, their driveway has an incline, and I put the transmission in "P". I left my car, because my friend invited me into their home. A while later, when I reentered back into my car to drive the 200 kilometres to go home, it wouldn't let me shift back into "D". It was stuck, even when I tried wiggling it back. I put the wheel stops on the front tyres, and jacked the left rear side of the car, to let the transmission "unlock" the rear wheels. It worked, surprisingly, but when I got it unstuck and shifted into "D" mode, the transmission started slipping. When I start up the car, let it warm up, and shift into "D", it takes about half a minute to actually move forward, then from a stop, the Rev needle shoots up to 3K-4K before shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear. When I use the J-Gate to manually shift the car, it works completely fine, yet it won't shift properly in "D" mode. My brother said it might need a transmission fluid and filter change, or it might be bad enough that I'll need another transmission. Any help here? This is my 2nd Jaguar, after owning a X-Type. I just turned 18. I like this car, it's fast, comfortable, good looking, and a head turner. I'd like to conserve this car, since I like it so much, but, if I feel that I might have severe problems, such as my other problem with smelling burnt oil(synthetic mobile 1 oil and mobile 1filter change a week ago) I'll have to let it go. Please help if anyone possibly can.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:02 AM
Received 10,328 Likes on 6,833 Posts

My best suggestion at that mileage would be to simply drop the trans fluid, then refill, go for a 10 mile drive, do it again, and keep doing that until the fluid coming out is close to the colour of the fluid going in.

THEN drop it one more time, then the pan, do the filter, and let it be.

2nd suggestion:

With the "fiddling" etc to get it out of P, you can/do put a lot of strain on the select cable, and mechanism. It "may" have stretched a tad, or slipped in its outer cable clamping plate under the car, so when you think you are IN "D", you are only part way in. My Black one had that, and some CAREFUL adjusting under the console (2 locknuts 24mm spanner size) and it is sweet.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
My best suggestion at that mileage would be to simply drop the trans fluid, then refill, go for a 10 mile drive, do it again, and keep doing that until the fluid coming out is close to the colour of the fluid going in.

THEN drop it one more time, then the pan, do the filter, and let it be.

2nd suggestion:

With the "fiddling" etc to get it out of P, you can/do put a lot of strain on the select cable, and mechanism. It "may" have stretched a tad, or slipped in its outer cable clamping plate under the car, so when you think you are IN "D", you are only part way in. My Black one had that, and some CAREFUL adjusting under the console (2 locknuts 24mm spanner size) and it is sweet.
I might do your second suggestion first, it seems much simpler, due to the reasoning that it shifts fine when I do the manual selection on the J-Gate. I'll probably look on the forums for centre console removal, for JTIS won't work on my Windows 10 computer.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:42 AM

I reckon LHD would be similar to RHD.

Gearlever in D, park brake ON, empty console compartment (junk will spill if you dont), fingers at the joint of the TOP half of console as it just "clips" into the lower section, give it a firm pull upwards, and it will oblige. Dont get dumb rough with it, just a good dose of common sense and the 2 sections will part company. Refit, simply push down into place.

You wont get it 100% out of the way, but enough to lift and tilt and you will "see" the cable locknuts basically in your face.

Adjsut them ONE flat at a time, as the threads are rather coarse, so a little movement of the nuts moves the cable quite an amount.

Trial and error will sort it. Just make sure the P lights up when its in P, or the stater will not operate, AND the D lights up when in D, or the cruise wont work. You will get the hang of it, trust me.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Maybe stretched the shifter cable. That era car is a bit prone over the years to it.

It's much the best to use parking brake (handbrake) before shifting to P. Then you won't be straining or stretching anything.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Received 7,896 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Jaguar addressed these issues a decade ago.
All this info is in the large file download area that nobody can find.

I never look because I have all the files that I uploaded.

Physically rocking the car while moving the selector lever will help disengage the parking pawl. You NEED to set the handbrake BEFORE you select Park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The X202 solved this fault with 2 solutions. A different gearbox and an automatically applied EPB.

bob gauff

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Grant Francis (11-20-2015), Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-24-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 PM

I reckon LHD would be similar to RHD.

Gearlever in D, park brake ON, empty console compartment (junk will spill if you dont), fingers at the joint of the TOP half of console as it just "clips" into the lower section, give it a firm pull upwards, and it will oblige. Dont get dumb rough with it, just a good dose of common sense and the 2 sections will part company. Refit, simply push down into place.

You wont get it 100% out of the way, but enough to lift and tilt and you will "see" the cable locknuts basically in your face.

Adjsut them ONE flat at a time, as the threads are rather coarse, so a little movement of the nuts moves the cable quite an amount.

Trial and error will sort it. Just make sure the P lights up when its in P, or the stater will not operate, AND the D lights up when in D, or the cruise wont work. You will get the hang of it, trust me.
Should I tighten it towards the front(front wheels) or should I tighten it towards the back(rear wheels)? I think the direction may make a difference.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:51 PM

I would move the outer cable to the rear, thus "tightening" the inner cable.

It is a trial and error thing, hence the small adjustments I mentioned, and paying attention to the P and D lights as you make those small movements.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:23 AM

I would move the outer cable to the rear, thus "tightening" the inner cable.

It is a trial and error thing, hence the small adjustments I mentioned, and paying attention to the P and D lights as you make those small movements.
Grant, I have to thank you. Your advice truly helped. It took me a few tries, but it no longer slips, and shifts just like it used to.
Next thing I have to is get a new paint job, and I'll be golden.
To you, and everyone else who had an input,
Thanks mates!

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 05:05 AM

Good O.

Simple cars need simple fixes, works for me.