X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bcm problem or other issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bcm problem or other issue?

Ive been searching around trying to find a similar situation with no luck. I got this jag(02 xtype) after my dad passed and have no real clear idea of what the history may be. I did find out the car is a salvage title registered in florida bc of flood damage .I started playing around with the fob and noticed it wasnt working bc of crud and age. Luckily my dad had purchased another fob/uncut key so i placed the new fob on the cut ket and followed the steps to pair it to the vehicle. At first i would get a confirmation chime from the dash when paired but the unlock button has never seemed to work so i tried pairing a few times. I even put a brand new battery in the fob today and got the same results. There were times when i could hear the lock actuators move but cant say im hearing much of anything anymore when pressing any button. Could this be a bcm problem. The car runs fine and though ive only had it a few days all the other systems seem to work. Ive given all the fuses a quick glance and they all seem ok but i do plan on having a better look later. Id greatly appreciate any input you guys may be able to help with.

Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Andrew,

It is common for the small switches under the rubber button to stop working or go bad. You can remove the ribber pad and spray some contact cleaner on the small switches and clean them up. It may do the trick for $3.95

The following users liked this post:
Andrew Fitch (10-02-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 06:12 PM

I
Originally Posted by Andrew Fitch
Luckily my dad had purchased another fob/uncut key so i placed the new fob on the cut ket and followed the steps to pair it to the vehicle.
I already had a brand new one and got the same results

On a second note, i did notice the airbag light on the passenger side dash was on today

Edited to add pic. The bcm in the car is for an 04 so not sure if thats whats causing the issues

Last edited by Andrew Fitch; 10-01-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Andrew, the airbag light may come on if it senses something in the seat, but it doesn't come up to the minimum weight that it determines it should deploy the airbag. It is part of the complex programming that goes into airbag deployment. There is a weight sensor in the seat that feeds information to the car. If I remember right, if there is under like 20 pounds in the front seat, it will not even register that something is in the seat. From 20 to 60 pounds, it will acknowledge that someone is in the seat, but more damage can be caused by the deployment of the airbag than it will prevent, therefore the light on the dash comes on and indicates that the car will not deploy the airbag. Above 60 pounds, then the airbag will function normally. So, if you put say a heavy briefcase in the front seat, that can be enough to trigger the light.

Andrew Fitch (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Andrew, the airbag light may come on if it senses something in the seat, but it doesn't come up to the minimum weight that it determines it should deploy the airbag. It is part of the complex programming that goes into airbag deployment. There is a weight sensor in the seat that feeds information to the car. If I remember right, if there is under like 20 pounds in the front seat, it will not even register that something is in the seat. From 20 to 60 pounds, it will acknowledge that someone is in the seat, but more damage can be caused by the deployment of the airbag than it will prevent, therefore the light on the dash comes on and indicates that the car will not deploy the airbag. Above 60 pounds, then the airbag will function normally. So, if you put say a heavy briefcase in the front seat, that can be enough to trigger the light.
Therrq was nothing in the seat at the time.. I was just trying to post any symptoms i saw. When the light on the dash comes on doesnt that mean its not working properly kinda like a warning light? Do you think the 4x43 bcm isnt compatible? While it may fit some 02's most ive seen are labeled 1x43 instead.

Last edited by Andrew Fitch; 10-02-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Andrew, the 04 cars have a slightly different data transfer system. So, it is very possible that the newer module is the source of the problem. But, I would also expect a few other things to be happening too (ie, more errors).

Andrew Fitch (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 04:19 AM

I havent noticed anything besides the passenger side bag light on the dash and the security/lock system not working. I found a used one on ebay thats a 1x43 bcm so hopefully that will fix the problem. I made sure i checked the actual jaguar part number before i ordered it too. According to all the pics i looked at during a Google search the 1x43 bcm should be the right one.

Do you think the other bcm could have possibly damaged any of the systems?

Old 10-07-2016, 12:52 PM

Hey guys,

I got the new bcm in today, disconnected the battery and transferred the terminals to the new bcm before hooking the battery back up but im still getting the same results. Turn key from ii to iii 4 times then removing key from ignition and pressing any button on the fob. I get the confirmation chime from thw dash after turning the key but not after pressing a button on the fob. The fob and battery are new so that should be in order. Any idea what the issue may be? The 1x43 on the bcm matches the 1x43 underneath the carpet in the trunk so it should be good right?

Edit: i checked all the fuses again and found a blown 7.5 so i replaced it and the fob will release tje trunk latch and unlock the doors but when you press lock the lights just flash 5 times

Last edited by Andrew Fitch; 10-07-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

It sounds like the FOB is programmed properly. The car is sensing a door, the hood or the trunk being open.

Attached Thumbnails bcm problem or other issue?-locks.png  
Andrew Fitch (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by clyons
It sounds like the FOB is programmed properly. The car is sensing a door, the hood or the trunk being open.
Lol it was actually the key door on the ignition. I found another thread from 2011 with a similar situation and found the ignition may be the problem. Got it unstuck and it works fine now so on to the next problem. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have a 2011 XK Coupe with a BCM Fault. I have hunted around various Forums and not found the information I'm seeking. I hope someone can assist me. My OBD-2, reader illustrated a FAULT for the BCM (Body Control Module), I attempted to clear all the faults however the BCM fault remains. I recently purchased this vehicle used. It is my 3rd Jaguar, my 07, was rather bullet proof. The things I'd like to know are: Where is the BCM located on a 2011 XK Coupe? Is there a specific fuse for the BCM? Is the BCM VIN # specific? Does the BCM have to be programed to my vehicle? If I remove the BCM once located and send it out for repair will the vehicles systems create more fault codes? My apologizes for the numerous questions Thank for any help you can afford.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

You should probably go to the correct forum for guidance, this is the X Type (X400) forum. Additionally, that forum has 2 descriptions for BCM = body control module AND blower control module, so there's that...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/

EXAMPLE =

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...firmed-148043/

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 09-19-2022 at 12:21 PM.