X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Calipers and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake Calipers and Rotors

I want to upgrade my calipers but I am confused on how these things are sold...

From most of the websites I landed on via google it seems like they only sell "front, driver" and "front, passanger" There is no "rear, driver" or "rear passanger"...

How are brake calipers sold?

I know, dumb question, but I'm confused! Isn't there a way to buy the whole set?

I am planning on a wheel/tire upgrade soon and want to change my rotors to these EBC ones, http://ebcbrakes.com/automotive/spor...rs/index.shtml , and I was thinking of changing my calipers to match my whole set up I'm planning.....

Any suggestions?

Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JagXType620
I want to upgrade my calipers but I am confused on how these things are sold...

From most of the websites I landed on via google it seems like they only sell "front, driver" and "front, passanger" There is no "rear, driver" or "rear passanger"...

How are brake calipers sold? I know, dumb question, but I'm confused! Isn't there a way to buy the whole set? I am planning on a wheel/tire upgrade soon and want to change my rotors to these EBC ones, http://ebcbrakes.com/automotive/spor...rs/index.shtml , and I was thinking of changing my calipers to match my whole set up I'm planning.....

Any suggestions?
So are you trying to get performance 4-6 piston calipers ala Brembo, Wilwood, WP, etc? or do you just want the factory ones to look cleaner and "new"? the former requires a big brake kit and will cost you more $1500 usually - then you also get larger diametter rotors as part of the package. the latter will only give you OEM performance, but there are really cheap ways to clean up your existing calipers (I'd recommend silver, gloss black or wrinkle black caliper spray paint). the last option yet to be tried is fitting used s-type R brakes to your x-type, cheaper than $1500, but will still be expensive and may still involve caliper paint..

Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that the wheels you have on order also may not clear bigger calipers. I would say the majority of aftermarket wheels do not accommodate big brake kits without some form of spacing.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by exexpat
I forgot to mention that the wheels you have on order also may not clear bigger calipers. I would say the majority of aftermarket wheels do not accommodate big brake kits without some form of spacing.
Always a great help, Jeremy. I've decided that for what I am looking for it would be best to just get it painted instead of me trying to change my whole brake system. Cheaper, and it's just what I wanted.

As for those EBC Rotors... Any feedback on those? Will my stock calipers have a problem with those rotors? or if I get a set of 19" rims is it going to effect anything?

Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Just spoke to a shop out in California and he quoted me some prices for a full rotor and brake pad set.

I was told that if you replace your rotors you shouldn't use a worn brake pad due to the fact the brake pad has already "bed down" on the previous rotors... True or a bunch of bs?

Anyways, I got quoted for a full set of redstuff brakes for $154, and a full set of those rotors I linked for above for $258... Coming to a total of $412.00 at the door for a full rotor and brake pad replacement. I'm waiting for a local shop to try to get me something cheaper...

Sometimes a CC with 0% APR for one year gets you creative in projects lol.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

620, yes, when putting on new rotors, using new pads is a requirement. Essentially if there was any grooves put into the old pads, the high points of the pads will be the only ones touching with the new rotors. So, you would effectively have reduced your braking ability atleast for the short term. Not to mention because you are only making contact with part of the pad, you are now cutting those same grooves into the new rotors vice leaving them nice and flat. If you just bought pads and they are still flat (test by putting a flat edge across the rubbing surface and then see if you can see any light between the flat edge and the pad, no light means ok to use). Even then, pads aren't that expensive and to have the garantee that you are not going to mess up anything is always nice to have.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM

anyone use greenstuff before? I've been doing research and some people actually prefer the green stuff over the redstuff

Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  19.3 KB

Greenstuff are good, but Redstuff are the next level up with reduced brake dust too

Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

if brakedust is not your worries though, go yellowstuff. its supposed to be their best brake pads but more dust than redstuff.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Ceramic pads are best for reduced dusting, but the initial bite isn't as good. I've had ceramics that dusted 1/2 or 1/3 (measured by wash intervals) compared to even rear wheels with semi-metallic. Meaning since the ceramics were only up front, if I had 3 weeks of sunny weather, the fronts required no washing for all three weeks, rears would need a touch each week (car would need dusting). With stock setup, I need to touch fronts twice per week, rain or shine.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  19.3 KB

If I remember rightly Yellowstuff are primarily for track cars

Old 04-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Supposedly the YellowStuff are not supposed to take any warm up time like most high performance pads require before optimum braking. Not sure if I buy that or not, haven't tried them myself.

Just about anything is better for less dust than OEM's. My Centric ceramics don't dust much at all, never get the black soot buildup even if I'm lazy for a few weeks.