X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Rear Marker Light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Rear Marker Light?

The ones in the bumper on the sides I dont see an easy way to change them - any ideas

Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

pnyklr, if you look at the lights, on the ends (left and right side), you will notice how one end is kinda flat and the other comes to a point. Take a flat bladed screw driver and put some masking tape over the end (protect the paint of the car) and place the end of the screw driver on the flat end of the light (keep the screw driver perpendicular to the body of the car). Now, using the screw driver, push the light towards the point of the marker light and move it about 1/4". At this point, you can pull the flat end of the light away from the bumper and expose the hook on the inside on this end. Once the hook is clear of the bumper, you can ease up on the screw driver and remove the light assembly. This works on all 6 of the side marker lights.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thermo
pnyklr, if you look at the lights, on the ends (left and right side), you will notice how one end is kinda flat and the other comes to a point. Take a flat bladed screw driver and put some masking tape over the end (protect the paint of the car) and place the end of the screw driver on the flat end of the light (keep the screw driver perpendicular to the body of the car). Now, using the screw driver, push the light towards the point of the marker light and move it about 1/4". At this point, you can pull the flat end of the light away from the bumper and expose the hook on the inside on this end. Once the hook is clear of the bumper, you can ease up on the screw driver and remove the light assembly. This works on all 6 of the side marker lights.
Thermo,

TJ here, I just want to confirm that when removing the side markers to replace the bulb that i am supposed to push the side marker from the flat side and not try to pry the marker from the panel. this is my first time having to replace a marker bulb and i dont want to break the assembly by removing it improperly. Also, do you know of any vidoes online that demonstrates this procedure? Thanks for your assistance.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

TJ, just as you think, slide the marker light towards the pointy end (don't pull out while doing so), move the light about 1/4" or so, then pull out. As for a video of this, once you do it, you will see why there is no video for it. Very simple thing to do.

Don't fret over it. It is something very simple to do.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
TJ, just as you think, slide the marker light towards the pointy end (don't pull out while doing so), move the light about 1/4" or so, then pull out. As for a video of this, once you do it, you will see why there is no video for it. Very simple thing to do.

Don't fret over it. It is something very simple to do.
Thanks. It WAS very simple. Appreciate the help.

(Off Topic)

Someone backed in to my Jag and slightly pushed in the rear side fender. The dealership has some guy that works there that wants to drill a small hole through the frame of the back door to reach the area. He says i would not need any paint job. Others on the street have stopped me and said that they could get the dent out in 10 minutes with no cracks in the paint. Is this something i should try or should i just go with the paint and body shop?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ_xtpe
Thanks. It WAS very simple. Appreciate the help.

(Off Topic)

Someone backed in to my Jag and slightly pushed in the rear side fender. The dealership has some guy that works there that wants to drill a small hole through the frame of the back door to reach the area. He says i would not need any paint job. Others on the street have stopped me and said that they could get the dent out in 10 minutes with no cracks in the paint. Is this something i should try or should i just go with the paint and body shop?
I had a dent on the door of my X5, used the paintless dent removal guys and you can't tell there was ever a dent.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

TJ, I would try the paintless dent repair guys first. Granted, I would make a bet with them that if they can get the dent out all the way, there's an extra $10-20 in the deal for them. They can't, the repair is free. If they are confident they can get it out, then they will jump at something like that. If they are thinking about it, move on to someone else.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM

@Thermo: Thanks for that info. Guess what? I found a video on youtube demonstrating how to remove a dent with a hairdryer and a can of compressed air. AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED. My dent popped right out and is no longer visible. AMAZING!!!! This was a very big dent in my rear fender but there was no damage to the paint. Now it's completely gone and the process only took about 5 minutes. This process doesnt seem to work on smaller hail size dents. Anyone that has a larger dent should try this. IT REALLY WORKS!!!