X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk on start up and other questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Clunk on start up and other questions?

Hi Guys...have a new issue that has now happened twice in the last two months.

A couple times, right after I start the car (and I am still in park) I will hear a huge "thud" from which seems the front right area of the engine compartment. I have not a clue to even guess as to what could "thud" up in that area. Anyone have any ideas. It only has happened on start up only...no other time do I hear this noise and it has never happened on the first start of the day.

Another question I have is about the tranny. When you guys first start your car for the day and put it in drive, does there always seem to be a slight lag on the first "shift?" Mine has done this since I owned the car. I will putt along, then right before shifting into what I presume to be 2nd gear, there is a hesitation and then it catches.

Lastly, and maybe this sound has been there but I never noticed it before because I always have the stereo on, but when I accelerate I hear a faint "whirrly" type sound either coming from the engine or transmission...I can't tell. It doesn't sound like an issue but it bothers me. It is like some high pitch whirl winding up...don't really know how to describe it.

Anyhow, just as FYI, I have changed out my transfer case oil a year ago so I don't think anything is wrong there. The tranny in this car is the recall one from 2002 (meaning a new one was put in around 2004) and the car only has 20k on it total with maybe 14k of that on the new tranny. I have not checked my tranny fluid or changed it out,

Any ideas on these noises?

peace out,
daddylogan

Old 12-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does that clunk repeat itself every time you start?

Have somebody listen under the hood when you start it, to see where
the clunk is coming from.

It could be an engine mount.
Walter

Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

My guess on the 'thunk' would be a vacuum motor. I've had that on other cars and I also have heard it on rare occasion with my X-Type...usually I have the radio already on, so I wasn't paying attention to it closely enough to know if it is an every-start thing.