X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to E85?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converting to E85?

So ive been looking to maybe convert to e85, the question is what is needed? injectors? pump? fuel lines? or is it just as simple as filling it up with e85 and tuning it? Has anyone done this to an x type? any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I don't know if that work properly on jaguar, but on my BMW X5, you need a flexfuel kit, named sometimes E85 kit.

Somes are fully automatic, others manual, you have tu turn the switch according to the fuel use.

The connectors are plugged on the injectors (you need to know the brand and their type) on the lambda sensor, and sometimes on the air sensor.

Some shops say to renew oil , and after driving xxx miles (don't remember) change petrol fillter, the E85 is corrosive and the filter must be changed.

The fuel consomption increase of 15%. In france the E85 cost around 80 cts, the 95 1.40 Euro, and for the 98 1.50 Euro.

Rolland

Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea i saw those kits online, they seem pretty legit but im going to do a bit more research on them. I want to switch to e85 because everyone says and ive researched that it helps HP increase, so maybe i can get a bit more HP out of my jag ?

Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 AM

For increase HP, i'm not sure that E85 is the best choice.

It's hard to win HP on a atmospheric engine, non exhaustive list, air filter, exhaust, crankshafts, valves, work on inlet and outlet tubulures ...

At least money, engine life minored.

Rolland

Old 06-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGer bomb
I want to switch to e85 because everyone says and ive researched that it helps HP increase, so maybe i can get a bit more HP out of my jag ?
It's not quite that simple. It is possible to custom build an engine that will extract more HP from E85 than gasoline primarily by increasing the compression ratio, but simply swapping the fuel on an otherwise unmodified engine will achieve nothing.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
It's not quite that simple. It is possible to custom build an engine that will extract more HP from E85 than gasoline primarily by increasing the compression ratio, but simply swapping the fuel on an otherwise unmodified engine will achieve nothing.
EXACTLY if you put E85 straight in it'll do worse, the CR on a petrol engine is half what it needs to be for ethanol. There are flex -fuel cars built in the states, but they do worse MPG than the regular cars. only with an ECU controlled turbo can a car accommodate those two fuels.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

JAGer Bomb, can you run our cars on E85, of course. But, keep in mind that you are going to have to swap out the complete fuel system as the E85 is a much more acidic fluid and if you don't, your fuel system is going to fail in a short time. Also, keep in mind that the air/fuel mixtures between the two fuels is different. Standard gas (petrol) is roughly a 14.7:1 ratio where with E85, you are around a 7:1 ratio (which requires a special programmed ECU). Also, when you look at the energy measurement of the two fuels, E85 has less energy per pound than standard gas. So, you need more of the E85 to move the same vehicle, the same way, the same distance.

Where E85 has an advantage is that it has a very high octane rating. So, what this means is that you can force more air and fuel into the combustion chamber and compress it without it pre-detonating on you. But, like was mentioned, that requires a force induction setup, specialty ECU, etc.

For what that system is going to cost you, economically it is not do-able if you are looking at saving money. There is some advantage as the E85 does tend to burn a little cleaner. So, there is some advantage there.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 AM

What you could do is replace the Gasoline with biodiesel.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Yachtsman, replacing gasoline with biodiesel is an option, but the amount of work that would be needed would make it prohibitively expensive. In short, you would have to replace the motor (as a petrol engine will not run on any form of diesel) and then needing to switch over all the electronics to support the new motor. You would be better off getting a diesel variant of the X-Type and then going bio-diesel from there. Just have to be aware that the car does not have a DPF on it. Bio-diesel and DPF's do not get along and running anything more than B10 biofuel will most likely cause your motor to fail in a short period of time (due to the DPF getting clogged).

Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM

You're both replying to a post that's been dead for over a year.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:54 AM

I dont mean all of it that as you say would be prohibit ally expensive just replace the 15% gasoline so 85% ethanol. In my bio-fuel company I've developed a gasoline replacement Eco-petrol 85% ethanol hydrous not Chemically dried (unless you are mixing with Gasoline you don't have to dry) just enough bio-diesel(not fossil derv it won't mix) to increase the energy density but to still run dyed green. you can't add to much you'll either blow the head gasket or stop it running most engines are different but most engines will run 15%.

I know this was a old thread but I've only just joined I think my insight might be useful about bio-fuels not Jags

Last edited by Yachtsman; 06-19-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Yachtsman
I dont mean all of it that as you say would be prohibit ally expensive just replace the 15% gasoline so 85% ethanol. In my bio-fuel company I've developed a gasoline replacement Eco-petrol 85% ethanol hydrous not Chemically dried (unless you are mixing with Gasoline you don't have to dry) just enough bio-diesel(not fossil derv it won't mix) to increase the energy density but to still run dyed green. you can't add to much you'll either blow the head gasket or stop it running most engines are different but most engines will run 15%.

I know this was a old thread but I've only just joined I think my insight might be useful about bio-fuels not Jags
Well if nothing else, your explanation is amusing.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:59 AM

Try it . And there's nothing like a tank of e85 to clean your injectors, you might do poor mileage on that tank , but it'll run like new on gas from then.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:11 AM

Hi,

First I have to say that this is 100% commercial message. Sorry about that. But we have designed new kind of E85 Ethanol Conversion Kit called eFlexFuel. It works with ethanol sensor so it is 100% automatic. Ethanol sensor recognizes instantly fuel mixture if its gasoline, E85 or any mixture of the two. You donīt have to worry about engine fault codes or any adjustments. eFlexFuel is also first in the world to have an adaptive cold enrichment function and mobile connection option for monitoring ethanol content, duty cycle or temperature via Android device.

eFlexFuel has been tested in multiple different U.S., European and Asian vehicles during the development process. Kit is suitable from over 500hp high performance engines to small one cylinder motorcycle engines.

Check out E85 Ethanol Conversion Kit - eFlexFuel Store if you are interested. If you have any questions please contact from website.