Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few last modifications before winter sets in

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A few last modifications before winter sets in

Okay, so i think most people on here no about my modifications thread from a couple months ago, and i've done the ones i need or want before witner except a few. I would really like to change out the gas,break pedal on the car, how hard is this, how much am i looking at ( just going to crappy tire and geting some nice ones). Also i was wondering if anybody else had this problem, theres a strong normal flow of air coming out the 2 main vents and the ones on the side seem to barly blow any, i've checked to see if there not closed and there not. Another question is, should i rotate my tires before winter, and why even htough its an awd car.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh anyone?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Man Disco, if you'd throw a paragraph break in there once and a while it would make for easier reading! Work that Enter/Return key out once in a while.

Anyway - The pedal thing can be pretty easy if you buy the kind that just screw on over top of your factory pedals. As you noted you can get them anywhere really, just a matter of personal taste. If you want to actually replace the entire pedal assembly you are looking at a more involved project and might want to consider the Arden kits to save some hassle (but they are pricey).

I"ll defer to someone else on the vent issue, I know you are not the first to bring it up, might want to search the board. The center vents on my X flow much more air than the side vents and I assume this is by design.

You will get all manner of opinions on tire rotation. First, do you have directional tires? If so you can only go front to back on the same side of the car unless you have the tires unmounted and re-mounted on opposite wheels. MY X-type handbook specifically says not to rotate the tires. I assume this is to preserve ride quality at the expense of perhaps uneven tire wear. Many will argue this point however.

Pre-winter maintenance is a good time to swap out the anti-freeze if this has not already recently been done, check the air pressure in your spare tire, check your emergency kit to make sure everything is there (flashlight has good batteries, etc.), lubricate the door mechanisms, and scrub the interior of the rear window if you don't do it regularly (when you are 6'5" it's not fun!). Don't forget to clean and grease those battery terminals also.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, notied for future reference, but how would i remove jus the gas or brake pedal, or will i have to remove the whole assembly to change just the apperence.

Yeah im also working ont he rust and mud guards, seems these cars also have alot of other falws, then just meachnaical

Old 09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Id get the rotation now, since id hate to rotate tires out in the cold.

Rotating tires should be done every oil change, it keeps the tread a bit more even but also helps the tires last longer. Reversing the directions on them helps keep the tires quieter over the years or months of ownership.

just go to google or wikepdia and type in tire rotation and a bunch of theories and specifics show, youll get a better understanding.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by StrateLoss
Id get the rotation now, since id hate to rotate tires out in the cold.

Rotating tires should be done every oil change, it keeps the tread a bit more even but also helps the tires last longer. Reversing the directions on them helps keep the tires quieter over the years or months of ownership.

just go to google or wikepdia and type in tire rotation and a bunch of theories and specifics show, youll get a better understanding.
I strongly disagree with reversal of direction of travel on radial tires due to possible premature tread separation. Suggest you consult tire manufacturer instead of "wiki" you need an answer from the party who will be in line to replace the tires.

Regards for differing opinions,
Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Again, directional tires would need to be unmounted and remounted on opposite wheels to truely do a 4 tire "rotation" and not a front to back swap.

You cannot apply the same logic to any and all types of cars. I found the lack of rotation puzzling myself, but I follow my X type owners manual, which specifically states not to do any tire rotation. Yes, you might go through tires faster this way. I've had no real problems though and have a smooth ride.

I do rotate tires on my other 4 cars regularly, so its not that I am against the work.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Oh and Disco, I dunno - I'd have to look at each pedal but I have a good idea that you'd probably have to swap out the assembly if you wanted to completely change the pedal. Pick out some good covers and go that route, you'll get good results without a huge pain in the butt. It will change the appearance.

Perhaps something here will give you some ideas: http://www.bbtcustoms.com/racsporped.html

Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All of the brochures included in my last 5 sets of tires purchased recommended full rotation for A/S tires. That includes Pirelli, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and Yokohama.

I referred to google and wikipedia as a quick online informational source. Should I have recommended eBay for brochure purchase's instead ?

With that said tire rotation is more a personal decision and is subject to debate.

Main factors are factory alignment spec's. FWD cars need a rotation every oil change to get maximum treadlife due to 0degree camber in the front and negative (between .7 and up to 1.0 degree on some models) camber in the rear.

This causes inner wear on the rear due to camber, and outer wear on the front due to turn-in.

Performance RWD Sedans have diff specs which makes a front to rear rotation acceptable. Rear toe out + camber, 0 toe and slight - camber to help turn in.

AWD cars may have different specs to justify non rotation. There are lots of factors and the choice is personal, I would always do it regardless of manufactuers suggestion

- Vee

Old 09-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting points to ponder and yess chris x that exacalty what i was going for

but something simalr to his, so the final verdict ont he rotation is to ethier not do it, or do it , i know all the other cars i have driven have had it done right before winter

Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Disco stu55

I had to a little back check as I could not fathom Pirelli advocating a change iin direction of roation.

Pirelli tire rotation patterns do advocate rotation but define even spare rotation into keeping tires on same side.

Cooper tire shows various acceptable rotation patterns including keeping right hand tires in right hand, left on left as well as crossing right and left. But also notice the warning not to change direction of travel/rotation.

Michelen does advocate right and left cross rotation but does not address the issue of maintaining tire rotation direction (at least not on same page as rotation pattern - they seem more interested in hooking into you personal data). Michelen did refuse to warranty XZX radials with tread wear separation at less than 25% of tread life when I truthfully said I did cross rotate tires and did not re-mount them to preserve direction of rotation.

I have seen a few posts indicating redcuced wear and possible increased noise du to not cross rotating. I recommend that if you do you should preserve direction of rotation.

I do not see anyone advocating to reverse direction of rotation just those who don't adress issue.

The down side of tread separation is when you drive at high speed. I have had the experience at over 100mph and it is an adrenaline inducing experience but would not re-live it or recommend it. Preserve direction of rotation.

With respect to rotating before winter. Iwould think it would not matter much but I don't live in snow country. I would think with tires a little on the hard side and snow a little on the soft side, wear issues over the season should not relly matter that much. I would look at tread depth and where power and control comes from on a given vehicle. On a front wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicle, I would go with best tread on front as your steering will have benefit of added traction. On a rear wheel drive, I would go with best tread on rear to get going in snow with anticipation when the going gets tough the fronts often are steering more like front skids on a snowmobile.

Most tire companies urge best tread on rear always. I think in snow I would like that pull through the corner that hooking up the fronts provides as the testing they do has to do with not spinning out on a slick track as opposed to getting home in the snow.

Steven (1avguy)

Old 09-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

okay, so now comes another question, what about the pedals, are the stock ones just screwed on or are they welded to the arms.