Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flooded X Type 4" water inside car ! Help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded X Type 4" water inside car ! Help please

Hi

Bit of long story so please bear with me, ok here goes.

x Type 2.5 v6 4x4 2001/2002

So early in the new year my mom drives through a flood and ends up with 4" of water in the car ! Rings me as car has stopped !

Ok so I tell her dont even try and start it
I recover the car and drain the water remove the complete interior carpets centre consol and rear seats etc run dehumidifier inside car for a week then 2kw mains blow heater for nearly 3 days straight the car was cooking by this stage.

In the mean time by the end of the first day It was found that water was indeed inside all 6 cylinder pots inlet manifold was full Air filter housing the lot ! I thought to be honest the car was dead at this stage.

So top end of engine partially stripped but didn't take the heads off, sucked as much water out as poss and then drained oil and filter as water that side as well.

Spun engine over on the starter with a fly lead not ignition switch.

Rebuilt top end and believe it or not she started and buckets of water came out of exhaust.

She ran really well considering she was drowned, only prob was engine man light on, this was found to be exhaust lambda sensor ( not surprised really )

2nd hand near new carpet found on line and interior rebuilt, so all was working fine and she ran really well and car was returned to my mom.

She rings me several weeks later and says she thinks the drivers seat is buzzing ?
I take a look
It's not the seat it's behind the dash and runs constantly and has drained the battery over a couple of weeks as the car is only used once in a while (sentimental value etc ) I can pull fuse 99 passenger fuse box last fuse very bottom red 10amp this kills a/c climate / heater / interior lamps and puddle lamps in the doors.

So can this be the cooling fan running everyone is talking about or is it a servo to a heater flap etc

My only other option would be to break into the rear line at the back of fuse 99 fused side and fit a micro switch and hide it in the glove box and basically switch off the supply to fuse 99 and kill the draw on the power drain whilst it is in store in the garage, she can then switch it back on when she wants to use the car again, no other fault codes stored and no engine light on.

Hope someone can help me or push me in the right direction.

Cheers

Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

comper, from the sounds of things, it is the temperature monitoring fan that is behind the dash. If you look to the right of the steering wheel, you will see a very small vent (about 1x1" in size). Put your ear up to this vent with fuse 99 installed. If you hear the fan running, then this confirms what your problem is (atleast the symptom). Now the question comes, why is the fan running non-stop. It may be that some water got to the computer for the A/C system and through time, the water damaged the circuit and it has taken till now for the failure to reach a point that you can see.

I don't have my drawings with me, but once I get home, I can look more into this. May even be able to come up with a quick check so you can eliminate the fan and/or computer and we can take things from there.

As you are finding out, this is why flooded cars are not allowed to be cleaned up and resold later on. As the years go by, they can turn into electrical nightmares, especially if the water was salt water. Having spent more years than I can admit to trying to get electronics to work inside of a submarine, I have experienced more than my fair share of issues due to water.

The following users liked this post:
comper88 (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Thanks thermo, will take a look tomorrow when she brings the car over, just a quick question if it is the control unit and water did get in where would I find it ? Passenger side footwell I'm thinking up behind the dash somewhere ?

Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

comper, the unit is in the dash where you adjust the temp from. So, it is unlikely that water got into that. But, it could be some wiring deep in the dash. So, you would have to get the radio out of the dash and then see where the wire bundles run and then take things from there. But, I am thinking it is more the fan piece next to the steering wheel that has failed. Seen a few of these over time and it is just from age.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Theres a Jag part # C2S 29537 that is for X Types that leak from under the dash. Now you know as much as I know about it. Someone told me about it a while ago. It may be your answer?
Good luck.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by comper88
Thanks thermo, will take a look tomorrow when she brings the car over, just a quick question if it is the control unit and water did get in where would I find it ? Passenger side footwell I'm thinking up behind the dash somewhere ?
Ok it's definitely the little cooling fan, left tissue paper on the vent for more than 10mins and it was still stuck to vent which means fan was still running after 10 mins car locked, so double up on my back under dash with a torch found the found the fan traced it back to plug and unplugged it and no more buzzing ! But with it now unplugged how will this affect the climate control etc ?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

comper, all that you will notice is that the temperature regulation inside the car will not be as rock solid as it once was. Worst case, you put the heater into manual mode and control it like any other vehicle. Personally not that big of a deal. But, I am a manual kind of guy. I like simplicity and long term survivability.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by comper88
Ok it's definitely the little cooling fan, left tissue paper on the vent for more than 10mins and it was still stuck to vent which means fan was still running after 10 mins car locked, so double up on my back under dash with a torch found the found the fan traced it back to plug and unplugged it and no more buzzing ! But with it now unplugged how will this affect the climate control etc ?
Comper88,
I find that in my car and prevailing climate (sub-tropical) that fan can run for up to 15 mins...? But, it does eventually stop.

Leaving the drivers window down..... shortens the time it takes to evaluate temp/humidity conditions.