X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ever tried Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever tried Dynamat?

I do apologize that one of my first posts is a question.

I was wondering if anyone has tried putting Dynamat or another generic brand of sound deadeners in their trunk. I have a subwooffer in the back, I know i'm a basshead, but I love it. I can't stand the rattling when listening, especially on the when listening from the outside.

I have a 04 X-type

Thank you for looking, have a great day!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I used it in my old 89 Firebird FOrmula and it made a huge difference

Old 01-08-2011, 11:00 AM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I got a generic brand via fleabay to replace the foam in my TVR. It now idles at 78 decibles as opposed to the 80 or so with the foam. I can almost here the radio.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Received 61 Likes on 7 Posts

Back in the day I used to install sound systems. Dynomat is one of the best additions to any sub. When I did a sub install I would take all the padding/mats out of the trunk. Spare tire and all. I would line the entire trunk with dynomat. including the trunk lid and the license plate and then reinstall all the padding and mats for the trunk. This way you never know the dynomat is there and you have zero rattles. In some systems I had to double and triple up the stuff. Only downfall is its very heavy. They do make light weight alternatives and I have seen people just use spray foam, which to me is not smart, but to each their own.

To do it correctly start by measuring and cutting to the correct length. Take a heat gun or blow dryer and heat up the material on the back. once heated up apply to the car and make sure all parts of the dynomat adheres. You dont want air pockets.

The following users liked this post:
Endothes (01-09-2011)
Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Thank you for all the help everyone! I made the purchase of FatMat which is supposed to be like Dynamat. I hope it works well and I will post pictures of the completed project. For now i've just cleared all the panels and cleaned the metal, just have to wait for it to arrive.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Now that you said it, I used fat mat too. Only problem for me was it didn't like sticking to some of the 28 year old rough fiberglass but once I got it attached it has held well.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone of you guys tried covering the floor with these mat? I was hoping to reduce my car's road noise...

Old 01-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

There is a thread someplace about a guy who installed it below the carpets and said it did wonders, but I think he it up the firewall as far as he could too. You get a lot of ambient engine noise at the firewall.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought the "off-brand" of the dynamat off ebay, and will never make that mistake in any car ever again in my opinion. I had enough to cover the entire truck twice plus came with a free roller . I brought the car to get my system installed with the
"fake-a-mat" in a one shot deal. When winter came around I noticed the material was peeling off the trunk lid. Called my installer and said he used a heat gun, roller, etc. The stuff started to get air pockets as another member said, and the bass was all over sounded like a empty barrel being beat. I now ordered the "Dynamat Extreme" and waiting for a warm day to rip out and install the new stuff. Plus I figured with the Jag, I should have bought the Dynamat in the first place.

I heard good things about fat mat, If any sound guys could chime in, How does the liquid sound dampening work that you "paint" on compared to the dynamat "stick" on?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
There is a thread someplace about a guy who installed it below the carpets and said it did wonders, but I think he it up the firewall as far as he could too. You get a lot of ambient engine noise at the firewall.
I have dynamat on my floor - front and rear, rear deck and front doors. Overall, I notice a nice improvement to the audio. Not sure if the road noise is down because of it since I've had it since around a month after I got the x type back in 2007!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Endothes
I do apologize that one of my first posts is a question.

I was wondering if anyone has tried putting Dynamat or another generic brand of sound deadeners in their trunk. I have a subwooffer in the back, I know i'm a basshead, but I love it. I can't stand the rattling when listening, especially on the when listening from the outside.

I have a 04 X-type

Thank you for looking, have a great day!
There are a ton of available sound deadener on the market, some good (prefer second skin above all).... some not so much. I used Dynamat only because I got a great deal on it.

My X' has 2 12"s in the trunk, so I fully understand what you mean about the rattle. I found that it wasn't so much what i used but where I put it, here are a few trick to help you out:

- Remove the rear parcel shelf and install a 2" foam underneath, it prevents the rear parcel shelf from vibrating against the rear glass at low to moderate levels (really loud you are on you own). Also while you have the parcel shelf out install the sound deadener on the sheet metal. This help prevent vibration transfer.

- Remove the licence plate an install the deadener on the back of it (not the car, it's a PITA to remove)

- Remove the spare tire and install AT LEAST ONE layer, if not two in the spare tire well. Also make sure the spare tire is tightened down periodically

- remove the trunk lid liner and install a layer here. if you have the option: the spray on stuff works best here, as the biggest issue is the inner skin vibrating/flexing, and hitting the trunk lid X bracing.

These cars are not the most solidly built cars so they will always rattle, a little.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is where I have some knowledge. Anyone serious about doing "sound deadening" right should have a look here http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

As an aside, I've been lurking around here a while as a Jag seems to be in my future pretty soon I look forwards to learning as much as I can from eveyone here before I make my decision.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

In my years of experience, the best (and cheap) sound-deadening stuff to use is old-fashioned carpet underlay; the stuff that is brown, about half an inch thick, and surprizingly heavy. It must be properly att. though if under a boot/trunk lid. I've done many-a-car this way and always reduced the road noise noticeably as one contributer said.
BTW, there is no such thing as a "sub" woofer. If a sound is sub-sonic, it means you can't hear it -- that sort of frequency is for elephants. What you really hear is the third harmonic of the original, otherwise known as 'false bass'. False bass is common with cavity resonant chambers that are too small. You need at least three cubic feet to get anywhere near proper bass, and I'd only go for double this. A dead giveaway for a bad chamber design is to see the cone bouncing around like a mad thing. Proper acoustic loading of the cone limits its excursions considerably, and yet produces much more proper bass actually in the air that is against your ears. Put your speaker and its enclosure in free air and then listen to what it sounds like. Usually very disappointing! If you listen in a car, your simply listening to one box inside another, bigger box.
Leedsman.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
In my years of experience, the best (and cheap) sound-deadening stuff to use is old-fashioned carpet underlay; the stuff that is brown, about half an inch thick, and surprizingly heavy. It must be properly att. though if under a boot/trunk lid. I've done many-a-car this way and always reduced the road noise noticeably as one contributer said.
BTW, there is no such thing as a "sub" woofer. If a sound is sub-sonic, it means you can't hear it -- that sort of frequency is for elephants. What you really hear is the third harmonic of the original, otherwise known as 'false bass'. False bass is common with cavity resonant chambers that are too small. You need at least three cubic feet to get anywhere near proper bass, and I'd only go for double this. A dead giveaway for a bad chamber design is to see the cone bouncing around like a mad thing. Proper acoustic loading of the cone limits its excursions considerably, and yet produces much more proper bass actually in the air that is against your ears. Put your speaker and its enclosure in free air and then listen to what it sounds like. Usually very disappointing! If you listen in a car, your simply listening to one box inside another, bigger box.
Leedsman.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...wiki/Subwoofer looks like subwoofers exist to me

Old 02-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

HIP HIP for the bass heads!!!
I just got my two 12'' subs installed buy a shop that charged me $230, and couldnt even bolt them down! so pissed, im just going to valcrow the crap out of the box.. but i dont find rattaling to be to much of a problem, exept for the lic place, whitch is an easy fix.

Then again, Dynomat is amazing stuff, i had it in my 84 caddy whitch rattaled like an old tin can.... that car used to pound so hard my rearview mirror fell off lol

Oh and to Leedsman, no one likes a smart ***, there called subs, atleast that what it says on the box they came in.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

F.A.O. Mr Fox:-
I started my career in audio engineering around 1968, with a particular emphasis on loudspeakers. I also designed loudspeakers for "Tandberg" a well respected but now defunct european company.
I resent your remark.
Leedsman.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Dynamat

I had a 79 Mercedes Benz SLC which needed new carpets. Before I installed them I did the floor area with Dynamat. It did make a difference, the road noise was a lot less. But it is kinda expensive. But it does work

Last edited by Adam Lueb; 02-20-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spell