X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low speed noise puzzler

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low speed noise puzzler

Was hoping someone could help me out with a mysterious noise. Here are the symptoms:
1) Noise: sounds a bit like the dededede you get if you have warped rotors, but I don't hear it under heavy brake application and don't get a vibration through the steering wheel.
2) Speed: I only here it at 40 mph and below. Not sure if this is because road noise drowns it out or something else.
3) When: I hear it most when coasting or braking, but it it's not super correlated to brake application. I sometimes here it under power too. No correlation with steering direction.
4) Where: Think it's drivers front wheel area.

My understanding is these symptoms don't match a bearing or CV (and hope not a transfer case or transmission), so am thinking it might be related to brakes rubbing. I popped the wheel off and found the brake sliders to be operational and pad wear to be even, but the rotor has a bit of lip on the inner face. Could this be catching the pad and causing a rub that makes the noise? The caliper cylinder was also a little corroded. Perhaps I'm going down the wrong path as the brakes work well, so would welcome advice from more experience x-type owners.

Thanks......

Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I had that similar noise and scenario a month ago. And I was hoping it was a wheel bearing. Nope, it was the transfer case. I had an oil pan leak so I had the dealer do both at the same time.
The only good news to share is that the noise is gone now.

Tom

Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 PM

Pinecone did your noise go away at high speed? Thanks.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:26 AM

Yep, the noise went away. At all speeds there is now a 'hum' relative to mph that sounds quite normal for an AWD system. Before the fix, the noise just didn't sound right - I was sure it was a wheel bearing, sort of a low pulsating groan. I even thought that maybe it was the driveshaft bearing - no such luck.

We are getting an ice/snowstorm right now so I'll be driving to work in a few minutes. I'll get to see how this wagon behaves in such conditions for the first time since I bought the car.

Tom

Old 11-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear that but glad. All is well now. My x also threw an expensive fit in the very early period of ownership. - it's like an attractive girlfriend versus a not so attractive one - attractive ones typically test your patience and your wallet more in the early days.

How was the first encounter with the snow? (I think I know the answer ;-) )

Old 11-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Danny A Fish
How was the first encounter with the snow? (I think I know the answer ;-) )

The wagon did great in the snow. The AWD flung it high up over the rear wheels while cornering at speed. And its well-balanced. I'd say it passed the test.

Tom

Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM

Pinecone - pleased to hear you like how she handles in the snow. If it's not too rude to ask, how much did you new TC cost (part and labor)? I'm gearing myself for the same cost and want an up to date figure. Looking across the web people have quoted from as low as 1300 to as high as 3600 just for the TC itself.

I changed the TC fluid today (that stuff stinks) and it reduced the noise a bit, but it is still definitely there. Question for all the folks who have been thru this pain, how long between hearing the noise and TC failure, will I be able to nurse her on for a few more months?

Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 PM

Camp,
The TC was $2150 after the core exchange for just the part. I needed an oil pan gasket real bad so that was done at the same time. I cannot distinguish how much labor it would be to do the TC by itself, but you might as well get the pan gasket done at the same time. It involves taking the exhaust off and some other parts too to reach the bugger.

The length of time you have to keep running your car as-is would depend on the number of miles you drive regularly, your driving style, the climate, road quality and some other factors. I suppose you can run an experiment after changing the fluid like you did.
I never did get to see the actual failure mode of the TC since they kept it to return to a rebuilder (??) therefore I have no idea how used-up is was inside. My new (not rebuilt) TC has only a one year warranty. If you get yours to run for a year now....you're almost in as good a position as I am.

Tom

Last edited by Pinecone; 11-29-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:13 PM
GLH

Would anyone post a sound clip of the noise? I have a whine at 40 but only in cold weather so I believe it is the prop shaft.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by GLH
Would anyone post a sound clip of the noise? ....

Mine is fixed now, but......Would you like a sound clip of the noise I made when I heard that it wasn't a wheel bearing?

For Mature Audiences Only - may contain harsh or vulgar language not suitable for children.

Sorry, I'm still venting off steam - there won't be much of anything under the Christmas tree for anyone I know this year.

If anyone does post a sound clip, I can listen to it and say if it was the same sound I had if that helps.

Tom

Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Smile

Interesting and unexpected (for me anyway) fix to this low speed noise - the tires had flat spots! The car sat unsold for sometime at the lot before I made my purchase and I guess they let the tires go a little flat. As soon as I had them replaced the noise disappeared, much less expensive than a new TC, so I'm a happy camper!