Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Radiator Hose Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Radiator Hose Problems

Hello All,
My name is Matt and I am new to the forum as this is my first Jaguar. I own a 2002 Jaguar X type with 143k miles approximately and so far its been challenging to keep up on all of the issues, but almost worth it given the wonderful driving experience.
Recently my radiator decided to blow up. I purchased an aftermarket one on Amazon and installed it. Hardest radiator replacement ever but its in the car now. The problem that I am having is with the quick connect/disconnect lower radiator hose. I had a similar design on my 2001 740 and never had an issue. I ended up breaking the original trying to get it off so I ordered a new one.
Now the new one leaks like a sieve whenever the car is on. I am totally at a loss seeing as both the radiator and hose are brand new. could I have missed an O ring with either the radiator or new hose?

Old 11-23-2019, 07:52 PM
Default Any help. I'm in the same boat

Dood you find an answer? Looks like an oring and a plastic ring

Old 11-24-2019, 01:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to change my radiator due to a leak, from the top mount snapping. The Nissens radiator I purchased came with an O-Ring but, I also had UROParts lower radiator hose with the O-Ring included in the Quick-Connect. It is your option to use either one from the Radiator or Lower Hose. There is a O Shaped included in my lower hose.

Also, it is a lot to take apart, to replace a freekin' radiator. The disassembly and reassembly is most of the process.

Old 01-28-2022, 12:27 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am having the same issue. The lower radiator hose is dripping when you turn off the car with a nice puddle under the car. I replaced the radiator a couple years back with a Nissen. I purchased an OEM hose and will try and replace it next week. This is a stupid design, don't know why Jaguar did it.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was going to replace the lower radiator hose but the upper clamp would have required me to remove the upper radiator hoses, air box and radiator fans. I looked at the old O-ring in the lower hose and it was flat from all the heat cycles, although still soft. I decided to take the new O-ring out of the new hose and just replace the old one in the existing hose. I put a little vasoline on it and put it back together. I let the O-ring sit overnight with the vasoline as vasoline swells rubber. Filled up the radiator with new coolant and distilled water and no more leak.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:33 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi there, is the lower radiator hose and leak, on the driver's side, between the battery and the firewall? I recently replaced my radiator and the car had driven fine for a couple months, then it started pissing coolant when I parked after a regular drive, say 30+ minutes. Is there a coolant purge valve/burp valve in the case too much coolant, or air in the system after a radiator replacement? It appears to purge a certain amount of coolant from a low point i that area, onto the ground. Hear a sizzling when it happens, but no steam.

It did this the other day when I parked, didn't have time to look at it, and when I got back to the car to go home, I saw my expansion tank was a touch below the 'Min' line. I didn't fill it this time (the 2 other times this happened I filled it all the way up b4 driving home), I drove home and the temp needle stayed in the middle.

I jacked up the car today and searched for a sign of where the leak came from, but I couldn't find a ruptured connection or bad hose (radiator connections all dry/good, T pipe and connections/hoses good). But, I could see splash marks on the A arm (driver's side), and the volume of space above the arm, so crime scene, but no smoking gun.

I had the car idling after that for a good 40 minutes, with a few drives around the block. I added a little coolant, to a 1/4" above the Min line, but no all the way to the top. I kept an eye on temp with an OBDII plug in and Torques app on my phone. Temp never rose above 205F; about when the fans turn on, then the temp settled down to 202F or so. I revved it, drove around the block, temp held steady, and no leaking coolant.

Old 05-30-2022, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

@Patterson I know you said t pipe fine, but it sounds just about like when mine went bad. It leaks some at running, but more after stopping (more pressure? In pipe?). I had to remove the airbox to see my crack (different than one of iownme's pics) included in thread below. Mine was right at molded plastic seam.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-207203/page2/
The other possibility that is hard to find is on the right side by the manifold and sensor, sometimes misdiagnosed as oil leak = post #5

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...engine-217754/

The following users liked this post:
Patterson (05-30-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 11:00 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks Dell, I'll get the engine up to temp. and then pull the air box tomorrow and check the T pipe closely.

That hairline crack can be tricky to identify. I replaced it about 10 years ago and made a post on these forums. Wow, how time flies!

My X being 20 years old, things on the periphery break (sensors, hoses, AC, plastic trim, etc. but the engine and trans (5 speed) still spin nicely.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:50 AM
Default Lower rad hose quick connect leaks only when around 0° F and lower

I have been having a slight issue with the quick connect fitting on the lower rad hose leaking a bit of coolant when it’s really cold out (≈0° F or colder) ever since I replaced it last year. I have had it off multiple times and have made sure the o ring seats right and the sealing area is clean. I am at a loss right now and am debating whether or not it’s worth it to try to fix it or if I just let it leak during the winter months since it doesn’t leak at all when it’s warmer out. What is your guy's opinions on this?