X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel refurb opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Wheel refurb opinions please

Need to get my wheels refurbished. They're a right mess. I think the previous owner must've gone kerb crawling often (and after a few ales). Any way mine are aruba 18" currently gun metal grey with polished metal faces. However it costs the same to refurbish them as they are, as it does to get them refurbished and painted black. I like both and wonder if when going completely dark side the Jag starts to lack class.

While I'm on, I want to de-badge my upper grille. Has anyone has any joy doing this. Pictures show without badge, but I've not done it yet. I've also darkened the grille on the pics with black wheels.

Opinions appreciated even if you hate it.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel refurb opinions please-wheels1.jpg   Wheel refurb opinions please-wheels2.jpg   Wheel refurb opinions please-wheels4.jpg   Wheel refurb opinions please-wheels3.jpg  
Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

whatever you decide, powder coating is a much tougher/pro finish.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

I think you will blend in with the scores of other murdered-out cars if you do it, otherwise the risk is that your car will look different than the murdered-out norm of late.

It's really up to you. I'd leave the grille badge and probably do shadow black like the OEM BMW finish on the wheels if it was me. That finish is a multi-stage though and probably more expensive.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are going to keep it forever do whatever you want to do with it. If you think you might sell it or trade it someday, keep it as OEM as possible. Pretty much anything like you are considering will not be something the dealer can undo (they will not replace a grill or put new wheels on it. If they do they will offer you less on trade to make up what they have to spend on it) and since it may not be everyone's cup of tea your potential buyers list will be smaller if you are selling it yourself. IMHO of course, but that has been my past experience with cars.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-22-2013)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM

Ok thanks.

I will keep the wheels and wire part of the grille as they are, just going to refurb them.

However for the grille I prefer the old style winged badge. I just don't like the jaguar head on the x type grille. The enamelled badges are usually ok and the badge on the facelift grille looks ok too . I just think the pre facelift jaguar head looks really cheap. Although I prefer the old grille to the new one as long as the old one has no head on it.

I'm also going to put the side vents on exepat has. I've prepared them, they just need fitting waiting for a gap in the weather on my days off.

Any not sure whether to put a winged badge on the grille or the bonnet. Here's some photoshoppy concept shots.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel refurb opinions please-bonnet-badge.jpg   Wheel refurb opinions please-grille-badge.jpg   Wheel refurb opinions please-twin-exhaust-lil.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 03:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it looks better on the grill. Can you please post a larger image f the wings? I dont think I have ever seen them before

Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

You're in the same position as me! I have a black X Sport

I'm going crazy trying to decide.

1. Murder out the wheels - Goal would be "X-Type Black Pack" like the XK & XF
OR
2. Refinish in a lighter/shinier silver colour so they REALLY pop against the black paint (I have the same wheels as you but in the lighter silver, so I would go EVEN lighter/brighter)

Both options keep me in "stock" look.

I've been debating this for so long that I'm always keeping an eye on Ebay for a used set of stock 18"s just so I can have an excuse to have BOTH my options... Then the debate would be which season to pair my Black & Silver rims with... Summer or Winter

Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

I like the winged badge on the grille. That is a subtle and cool little mod.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Classic jaguar badges can be sourced at.

I'd like a retro jag badge with wings. It's the closest I'll ever get to a bentley or aston. Not exactly easy to get hold of. you get the odd one on ebay. Maybe enquire with your jag dealer as to what's out there.

this link might help you source one.

COLLECTING JAGUAR BADGES

Attached Thumbnails Wheel refurb opinions please-wing-badges.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Do the X-Type owners with the 18" Arubas have cracking troubles with the wheel? Here in Chicago these potholes are unavoidable and caused me to crack wheels. I saw a few complaints on the UK Jag Forum of bad runs of the wheel. I actually have a double welded wheel, which is a bad idea to drive on.

I was going to murder them out, but alot of people have done that here to an extent.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Not sure about the uk. over here we pay road tax. if the local council doesn't maintain the road, then they're liable for damage caused to your car if the potholes get below a certain depth.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by exexpat
I like the winged badge on the grille. That is a subtle and cool little mod.
Finally got one for the Bonnet!

Retro Jaguar Bonnet Badge | eBay

The guy still has some for sale for anyone who is interested.

Mounted mine on the bonnet though, not the grille. Lower down than the seller has his. I put mine near the Bonnet release. Pretty fiddly using the dremmel to make some small adjustments.

Still not sure about the side vents like yours Jez. Not sure my 2.2D has the power to do them justice.

Anyway just have to fit my BMI interior and then get a wheel refurb and I'm finished for now.

Here's some pics to see what you think of side vents if I fit 'em.

Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Wheel refurb opinions please-bonnet-lil.jpg   Wheel refurb opinions please-finish-lil-vents.jpg   Wheel refurb opinions please-finish-lil.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-22-2013)