XF (X260) 2015 onwards

Question by new member

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question by new member

Hi everyone. This is my first post other than my introduction. I'm an older guy who has always wanted a Jaguar - sort of a bucket list thing. I currently drive a Mercedes ML SUV and the warranty expires next spring and I intend to trade at that time for a sedan. The new XF is high on my list, along with E class and Audi A6. My Mercedes is 3 1/2 years old now and has been the best vehicle I have owned in 50 years of driving.

My cars seldom see more than 8,000 miles a year, mostly country road driving so they always have well under 50,000 miles on them when I trade. I have heard of reliability problems with past Jaguars but I believe the quality has increased in recent years and I should get 40 or 50 thousand miles out of it without any trouble - I hope! This is important to me because I live out in the country and the nearest dealer is in the Dallas area about 140 miles away.

The question I have is would you buy a new Jaguar being that far away from any qualified Jaguar mechanic? Since I would never be out of warranty the dealer would do all necessary repairs and service but I shutter to think the travel expenses and inconvenience if I were to get a car less than totally reliable. This would be my only vehicle so hopefully I would get a loaner for any long term repair. I don't mind going that far for a day trip to get maintenance done once a year but more than that would be a problem for me. I realize anyone can get a lemon from any brand but would you take a chance on a new Jaguar XF under these circumstances?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Can you not find an indy nearer to you? (Maybe one of the techs who post on this site.)

I'd buy an older car, too - saves lots of $$$.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:08 AM

Nope. A classic Jaguar owner who lives near me said there is no one authorized to do warranty work within a hundred miles of our area. The reason I would want a new car is to avoid the problems of used cars, even though I know a good one will have the bugs worked out I just don't trust a used car in this situation. I was just wondering what folks with a similar situation as I have done when deciding on a Jaguar.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I'd much rather have one with the initial problems sorted and where I can DIY or take to an indy. Sorry, I think you're just making hassle for yourself (which of course is your choice).

Old 10-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

On average, modern Jaguars are just as reliable as any other contemporary marque. As to whether any individual vehicle from any OEM will be better or worse than that average is impossible to predict. Any vehicle can break at any time- that's why they come with warranties.

If travelling to take advantage warranty or 'free' service checks is too much of a hassle and outweighs the desire to own a 'Jag', best find a different car brand.

Note that there is no obligation (by law) to take a car to a dealership for scheduled service. Very few people here use dealerships for service as the cost for even minor visits can be excessive.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Yea, I realize you can always get a problem car from any brand. I was just wondering if the newer Jaguars are any more reliable than the ones of a few years ago that had issues it seemed built in. And I certainly know of the dealership visit being excessive cost wise after having a Mercedes. You pay for an expensive car so you have to expect things to be expensive in terms of maintenance and parts. Just goes with the territory and I know that going in. The hassle is in going back and forth that distance to the dealer. At least I have lots of time to think it out. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by shortspark
I was just wondering if the newer Jaguars are any more reliable than the ones of a few years ago that had issues it seemed built in.
The dark days of Jaguar ended many many years (decades) ago.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Buy Jaguar of Not?

OP.

I am always asked (told) by average Joe's that they heard Jaguars have lots of problems. This is after they almost always compliment just how stunning the car is.

My 2012 XF (bought CPO) had no problems at all and my 2015 XF, (bought new), which I have owned since last February has not gone back to the dealer once. I cannot say that about the 3 Audi's or the 3 BMW's that I have owned. In fact, one friend with a new Infiniti and another with a new Nissan Maxima have needed transmission replacements within the first 6 months of ownership. I think that the general public has been slow to catch on that Jaguar reliability has improved by leaps and bounds over the past several years and is now quite good. Just study the forum boards for BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc. and you will see what I mean. Many owners of these luxury brands have been dealing with loads of problems and many of them serious.

However, I think that your concern is more about warranty work in which case an indy would be of no help to you and you would need to go to the dealer. I understand this concern and it is quite valid. I think that if dealer proximity is such a problem then you need to think about a different brand vehicle.

In addition, Jag V8 pointed out that you could buy a used car and save money which is quite logical and before buying my new 2015 I only bought used CPO vehicles. I think that we all know that you can save money buying a used car but there are times when getting a great deal on a new car makes more sense. Having to deal with chips, scratches, unknown body work, true past history of car, accepting options and colors that you don't really want or need, etc.. is not for everyone and not everyone has the time, knowledge, skills, etc.. to DIY. Just about every CPO car I have bought has had either cosmetic or mechanical issues or both. Always VERY minor or I would have had the dealer repair it before purchase or walk away. Not everyone has the time or desire to deal with the issues related to a used car purchase and as I said before, there are times when buying new makes sense. Especially, if you can afford it or just want to be good to yourself. There is no shame in having the money to buy the car in the exact way that you want it. There is also no shame in buying a CPO if that is what you want to do to save money. In many instances this stuff about kinks being worked out if you buy used is just not true.

Good luck with your decision.

Ed

Old 10-04-2015, 02:10 AM

Thanks Ed, that was great information and insight. At this stage of my life I have no intention of buying anything used and will get just what I am looking for as to colors and options. The cost is not as important to me as having what I want. In the end you take a chance with any new car purchase and you are certainly correct that all brands have problems. I belong to two Mercedes forums and there are major problems shared there for sure but I've been lucky with my ML - so far. I have an interesting decision to make in the next few months.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

My Jag dealer is about 90 miles from me. They pick my car up and deliver me a loaner at my office, home or where I arrange, no charge, other than I pay for gas. Saves me more time than when I had a BMW locallyand is so much less hassle. Call the dealer and see if they have a program or will work with you.

The following users liked this post:
nlt624 (01-01-2016)
Old 10-04-2015, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
My Jag dealer is about 90 miles from me. They pick my car up and deliver me a loaner at my office, home or where I arrange, no charge, other than I pay for gas. Saves me more time than when I had a BMW locallyand is so much less hassle. Call the dealer and see if they have a program or will work with you.
My Mercedes dealer does the same thing but he is only 40 miles from me. The three Jaguar dealers closest to me are about 140 miles to the west and one is 120 miles to the east. I doubt they would come this far for maintenance or warranty work but it certainly is worth asking about. BTW, "upstate" NY is a huge junk of real estate I know but I was born and raised in Geneva. Does that ring a bell with you?

Old 10-05-2015, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Yes, not too far from me. Beautiful area.