XF (X260) 2015 onwards

XF stuck in D or P

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF stuck in D or P

I’m posting this because myself and a tow truck driver spent a good hour and some change in the Oklahoma heat.
i could not find this info online and the dealer tech guy gave me erroneous info
2016 XF AWD
Hard braking over some rumble strips for some reason upset the transmission / computer. Immediately we began getting transmission warning on the dash. We were a short distance from hotel. We drove there and parked. The drive selector dial would move out of D, we eventually turned off car hoping it would reset, but that didn’t work.
jaguar roadside assistance very helpful and sent out a tow service right away.
As the car was stuck in drive and would not disengage to neutral we were reluctant to drag car onto flatbed.
Called Jag dealer, tech advised to open center console and a release lever would be there. **This is also what we found online** Problem this was for a ‘14 model year. The release lever has been moved. It is under the hood, drivers side by intake manifold.
Lever pull forward which puts car into neutral so you can move it
Picture of what it looks like.
Hope this comes in handy and helps avoid frustration

car on the way to the dealer for some TLC (and to put the center console back together!)

Old 08-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Plynaugh
...Picture of what it looks like.....Hope this comes in handy and helps avoid frustration...
Can't tell squat from the picture but thanks for trying. Think of someone who doesn't know what they're looking for.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Looking at the direction your index finger is pointing, this must be the lever?

I expected the transmission release procedure to be in the Owner's Handbook (it is for other Jaguar models such as my XK) but according to the XF Owner's Handbook:

"The recovery agent must activate the Transmission park release before recovery commences. This procedure is covered in a
separate publication for service personnel
. Failure to activate the Transmission park release can result in serious transmission damage".

I wonder which over qualified, under experienced genius at JLR made this decision.

Graham

Old 08-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Thats all wheel drive location, rwd is in the console. You should have told him that info. Needs a new shifter assembly

Old 08-24-2018, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
Thats all wheel drive location, rwd is in the console......
It's for the RWD as well on the X260.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mleskovar
it's for the rwd as well on the x260.
i can never stay up with all the changes from model to model and year to year and configurations. So if its not next to the sc its in the console which is why i just look to tell. Owners should always rtfm thats why jaguar puts in them glovebox for referance

Old 08-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

i can never stay up with all the changes from model to model and year to year and configurations. .... :
Like this one. Much better than the "pull the red strap beneath the panel" I think. Still doesn't address releasing of the parking brake with a dead battery when there is a non response to a jump. There's a thread that goes through the procedure.

.... Owners should always rtfm thats why jaguar puts in them glovebox for referance
It's not in the owners manual. It basically says call someone who knows what they're doing. Which in this case wouldn't be you.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:30 PM

like this one. Much better than the "pull the red strap beneath the panel" i think. Still doesn't address releasing of the parking brake with a dead battery when there is a non response to a jump. There's a thread that goes through the procedure.

It's not in the owners manual. It basically says call someone who knows what they're doing. Which in this case wouldn't be you.:d
you are funny guy, i never professed to know everything, nor do i care to i have a life outside of forums and cars
and as you can see i have helped 1000's on here with what i do know however

Old 08-24-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

you are funny guy, i never professed to know everything, nor do i care to i have a life outside of forums and cars
and as you can see i have helped 1000's on here with what i do know however
Just busting your chops, nothing malicious intended

The following users liked this post:
Brutal (08-24-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 07:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From an earlier posting by Mtores1. https://aaacampus.aaa.biz/wp-content...F%20QRG%20.pdf

Print it out and put in the car. A lot of good stuff not found in the owners manual.

Added: ignore address above because I can't copy it over correctly. Look for an Mtorres1 posting earlier in the year in this forum for the correct address.

Last edited by Bobsupra; 08-27-2018 at 07:37 AM. Reason: update web page
Old 08-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Default Arrow

Yes arrow correct. Thanks for edit. Hand is tow truck driver
Originally Posted by GGG
Looking at the direction your index finger is pointing, this must be the lever?

I expected the transmission release procedure to be in the Owner's Handbook (it is for other Jaguar models such as my XK) but according to the XF Owner's Handbook:

"The recovery agent must activate the Transmission park release before recovery commences. This procedure is covered in a
separate publication for service personnel
. Failure to activate the Transmission park release can result in serious transmission damage".

I wonder which over qualified, under experienced genius at JLR made this decision.

Graham

Old 08-27-2018, 05:43 PM
Default Sorry

Posted after long day and car towed away. Just surprised how hard it was to find this info

Can't tell squat from the picture but thanks for trying. Think of someone who doesn't know what they're looking for.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:45 PM

Told Jag service rep it was AWD, tore apart console looking for the red strap...
thankfully warranty so he got to reassemble ...
Thats all wheel drive location, rwd is in the console. You should have told him that info. Needs a new shifter assembly

Old 08-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

yes Jaguar as well as BMW are all making big changes just like the new v8 engine will be a BMW N63 reverse flow head engine found in the 7 and 6 series cars... Jaguar will no longer make these V8 AJ133 engines after 2018 or 19... I can honestly say in my OPINION this will not be a good move.. BMW decided to place the neutral override under the car next to the left side of the tranny, you need to remove the splash guard,then heat shield , then get a t30 torx ....You cant imagine how many tow trucks will disregard this, and just use skids and force the car onto the trailer..Same as with Jaguar, we get plenty of them to my shop, and I immediately video them offloading the cars to show the owners how careless they are about there drive train.
But yes I do find that it is crucial to let a tech know the small details about your car,because it could save lots of time, and effort..I once has customer call me at night asking me how to put a car in neutral, but he didnt give the correct year or even the chassis ID...and of course I gave wrong info because I was given wrong info...Nevertheless glad you got her done..