XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

2011 XF 5.0 Liter Base Front Air Vents Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 2011 XF 5.0 Liter Base Front Air Vents Not Working

I was changing the temperature and climate control on my 11 XF recently and noticed air is barely blowing out of the 2 vents on either side of the NAV screen. On starting the car, they rotate and close & open perfectly, so that's not a problem. I also tried changing the temperature to extremes to see if that would change anything, no luck. Also the vent scroll is definitely set to air flowing

Turned the climate control to full power, and there is a very noticeable difference between the driver/passenger seat vents compared to the two on either side of the screen. Air does come out of the vents, but not in the way I've been used to over the period of owning this jag! Maybe a broken module/part controlling the middle 2 vents?

Did a quick internet search and there was mention of a stepper motor problem regarding air vent trouble. Posting in the hope you might know what could potentially be causing this. Trying to get a rough idea of what the problem is, if the fix/part is expensive, etc. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away so ideally I pray this can be fixed easily by me, otherwise will have to make the trip! I am not very mechanically or electronically inclined so I'm betting on the latter.

Old 04-13-2023, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys just a quick question where would I go to program out ptc

Old 04-13-2023, 06:28 AM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejaag
I was changing the temperature and climate control on my 11 XF recently and noticed air is barely blowing out of the 2 vents on either side of the NAV screen. On starting the car, they rotate and close & open perfectly, so that's not a problem. I also tried changing the temperature to extremes to see if that would change anything, no luck. Also the vent scroll is definitely set to air flowing

Turned the climate control to full power, and there is a very noticeable difference between the driver/passenger seat vents compared to the two on either side of the screen. Air does come out of the vents, but not in the way I've been used to over the period of owning this jag! Maybe a broken module/part controlling the middle 2 vents?

Did a quick internet search and there was mention of a stepper motor problem regarding air vent trouble. Posting in the hope you might know what could potentially be causing this. Trying to get a rough idea of what the problem is, if the fix/part is expensive, etc. Nearest dealer is 2 hours away so ideally I pray this can be fixed easily by me, otherwise will have to make the trip! I am not very mechanically or electronically inclined so I'm betting on the latter.
I don't have a definitive answer for you, I don't know exactly which model you've got, but I can tell you how it works in mine.

Assuming you have the dual climate control system (my manual doesn't mention a variant that doesn't have this but that might be a limitation of my manual), the left and right seating areas are controlled independently. Jaguar call the rotating face vents 'registers', the ones for each side have an inner register (near the touch screen) and an outer register (near the door/window). Each side has it's own heat/cooling blender stepper motor to control the temperature for each seat area (for both the inner and outer registers for that seat). There's a main stepper motor that controls whether air goes to the face or feet vents. That applies to all vents regardless of other settings.

Assuming all the register scrolls are set to open, it's not possible to *intentionally* get to a position where both inner registers are synchronised in a way that gives them equally poor airflow without having the same effect on the outer registers because they work as an inner and outer pair for each seat.

My best guess (and it is a guess) is that maybe the face/feet stepper motor isn't fully opening to the face position and the internal baffle is open enough to let air get to the outer registers freely, but not far enough to let it flow freely to the inner ones. I don't know enough about the internal workings of the air distribution magic box to know if this is possible, but you can probably test this by playing with the climate settings. Try setting the climate system to feet only and see if stops the air flow to the face and screen vents and it's flowing freely from the feet ones. Then ask it to do face only and check there is no air coming out at the feet vents etc. Do this a few times to see if it's working properly. If it doesn't properly switch between the two positions it seems likely that the motor is the problem, but there is also the possibility that there's something stuck or broken inside the air distribution box, but the stepper motor seems a more likely fault.

Hopefully someone else might have a more definitive answer for you.
​​​​​​​

Old 04-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

fivel pretty much covered it.

I have been lucky with my cars when it came to the climate control issues as they were either functional or fail and easily traced with SDD. On another vehicle that I had trace the error as it was intermittently occurring, I had to utilize active testing. Working behind the dash is never easy or quick.

I would start by checking your filter and then proceeding to scope the inside registers for blockage of some degree, ensure the dials on the registers are functioning correctly. The registers which in themselves are independent units as far as replacing, function as a single unit and air volume is controlled by fan speed, blend door and the manual dial setting in each register as long as it is in the on or open rotated position. There is a left and right blend adjustment but when that would only effect one or the other side.

I have attached a general run down from the 2010 manual to assist.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ClimateXF.pdf (1.62 MB, 69 views)
Old 04-13-2023, 11:02 AM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

Vehicle pre-heater gets internal fault, this upsets the Lin Bus & all sorts of weird stuff happens. Easy to disconnect to prove fault.

​​​​​

The fix is on this video, but can't get it to work??
Go to youtube, search "sofa warrior" search his video for jag xf

Last edited by John Williams; 04-13-2023 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,752 Posts

Does the 5.0L engine have a pre-heater?
I though that was related to the Diesel models?

Old 04-17-2023, 03:17 PM
Received 85 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Does the 5.0L engine have a pre-heater?
I though that was related to the Diesel models?
True, your probably right there, silly me!

Old 04-17-2023, 03:51 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John Williams
True, your probably right there, silly me!
In North America, if you order the winter package, you will get the pre-heat electric unit. I have a 2010 XF 5.0 NA Portfolio and it has this feature. Would be curious if it was a factor in this case though.

Old 04-18-2023, 08:35 AM
Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

I have access to a dismantled dash if you need air routing or anything checking. Probably these flaps not working:

Last edited by kansanbrit; 04-18-2023 at 12:48 PM.