XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Autel MaxiDAS DS808 and TPMS feature...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Autel MaxiDAS DS808 and TPMS feature...

I was wondering if anyone of you has experience with the DS808 and how to re-program the ECU with new TPMS sensors?
The description for this tool is clearly saying:

TPMS Programming Service: to quickly look up the sensor IDs from the vehicle’s ECU, as well as to perform TPMS programming and reset procedures after tire sensor are replaced
But I was talking with an Autel technician and the guy is saying " The tool that you have is not a TPMS tool. You will need a TPMS tool to relearn it "...
I'm confused now... what the heck he is talking about!? I thought this thing was suppose to do just that.

Another major thing I noticed... there is a lack of manuals on how to use this thing.
I can figure out things, but support lacks a lot for it.

Last edited by mrNewt; 04-25-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

If you have Jag TPMS sensors the computer will relearn when you drive the car, just install them and take a freeway drive. If the sensors are non Jag, the Jag TPMS will not recognize them, and you can't reprogram the computer with ANY scanner to accept a non Jag sensor, not even with a Jag service level scanner.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
If you have Jag TPMS sensors the computer will relearn when you drive the car, just install them and take a freeway drive. If the sensors are non Jag, the Jag TPMS will not recognize them, and you can't reprogram the computer with ANY scanner to accept a non Jag sensor, not even with a Jag service level scanner.
I do remember what we discussed on my other thread and I do plan to get the "Jag sensors" that Dorman has - same with the ones you have on your car and had them re-programmed with the IDs on your own car.

My hopping though, was that instead of getting the re-program tool that is an extra $200+ CAD, I can get the sensors (which they do come with their own IDs) and just update the ECU with the new IDs with this DS808 tool that I recently got.
Also, with this thread I was hopping to get some insight on how this tool works (and what works) from those that already have it and work with it (I remember @davetibbs saying to have the same model from Autel).

Not that I don't believe you, don't get me wrong here... but if you are saying that there is no way to update the car's ECU with new IDs, I find it really odd that Jaguar would do such a d*&k move... since as far as I know pretty much any car manufacturer allows you to do that.
If that is the case, I guess I will have to find a way to cough up the extra money for the re-program tool from Dorman .

Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2019, 06:46 AM

I have read your thread before and it made sense, but when I tested my wheels/tpms sensors, I had different results.
You are saying the following in your thread:

What you want to get is the ID#. This number can be used to clone a new sensor(s) while the new sensor(s) is already mounted in the tire with some late model scanners.
OF NOTE, you only need the ID number off 1 sensor to clone all 4 corners as the sensors ID's are all the same on each vehicle from the factory, and the cars computer assigns the correct corner to each sensor.
In my case, this is not true. All the TPMS sensors on my car are different.
Here are my IDs - they were scanned at the wheel level by an independent mechanic, using SNAP-ON tool:

Front-Left: CE164BAE
Front-Right: 4EF357BA
Rear-Right: CE164BB2
Rear-Left: CE16A2B4

One of them is completely different... the other 3 are similar, but still different (starting with CE16).
I have no issues with the pressure currently... and because of the different numbers, this leads me to believe that one of them was replaced at some point in time and it had to be updated in the ECU somehow...

Again, I can definitely be wrong... but based on what I see, that is my conclusion.

And this is what made me ask the original question... What are the steps to properly update these IDs in the ECU... if anyone has experience with this unit - Autel MaxiDAS DS808.

Last edited by mrNewt; 04-26-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

The Dorman sensors just would not work, bought a new set of Jag sensors on Ebay for $133, all is well.
Dorman sensors $105
Install in tires $80
Dorman TPMS tool $60
Remove Dorman sensors and install new factory sensors $80
trying to save a $1 sure cost me $10..lol
Everything said prior to the about quote in that thread was according to DORMAN, and how the DORMAN sensors and their programmer should work.
BUT the Dorman, Snap On, Harbor freight, My Autel and even My dealer level, laptop based AutoEnginuity where only ever good for clearing the fault.
And in speaking to my Jag tech when I was trying to get my TPMS right, clearing the fault after a new Jag/Ford sensor is installed all their Jag service level scanner can do also, The cars computer will work with ANY Jag/LR/Ford TPM sensor of the right series and frequency (S7HZA, it's located under "Ford Motor Company on the sensor", and frequency 315Mhz in my case), but cannot be re programmed to accept aftermarket sensors, and is a install and drive to update system. I hope this clears things up.Good luck.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Not sure I follow the complexity here

The car tpms system auto learns new sensors. So just buy a compatible sensor, put it in and drive for about 15 mins and it will learn automatically. No programming needed.

As said I'd suggest the jag oem ones as for some reason the system performs intermittently with the non OEM ones. I bought a set - worked about 80pc of the time and have a fault the rest of the time

So my strong recommendation - get the right jag oem ones (check frequency). And they should work straight out of the box

Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 PM

I think you are all missing my original question... and people started making assumptions...

I was asking for some input on how to use an OBD2 diagnostic tool that has one feature - it allows you to add/replace new TPMS IDs on the car's computer. I was trying to see if anyone here has experience using this specific diagnostic tool - DS808.
I never asked here for what kind of TPMS sensors I need.

- - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, since the discussion got here now... I will clarify a few things that seems to be true for my case at least.
This comes from my local Jaguar dealer (I end up connecting with them today to get a more clearer picture of what's what, since I seem to get a lot of conflicting information).

You CAN update the car's computer with new IDs - all IDs for the TPMS sensors are different on my car and NOT the same. Having all the sensors with the same ID on all corners will actually trip the computer into giving me a TPMS system fault error.
You need a capable OBD2 diagnostic tool that can perform this feature. The procedure is as follow:

• leave car for 5 minutes to sit after the wheel is back on;
  • connect the OBD2 scan tool and follow the steps it has in order to connect, replace the old ID with the new one, save, wait for the tool to prompt you when the operation is completed, turn off the car;
  • after the procedure is completed, leave the car to sit for 15 minutes, allowing the car and sensors to go back into sleep mode (I've been told to not touch anything, including opening doors and what not);
  • after, drive the car for at least 15 minutes, driving at speeds above 20mph / 32kmh... and you are all done.

Obvious notes - new TPMS sensors have to be compatible with my car and model and use the right frequency (in my case, 315Mhz).

They also mentioned that just by swapping a new TPMS sensor (even compatible/dealer bought from) that has a new ID and just driving the car around, will not automatically be updated to the car's computer.
It still needs to be added manually to the system.

Clone TPMS sensors (again, as long they are compatible), do not need to be added to the system since the ID will be there already.

- - - - - - - - - -

Now, I am by far no expert, that's why I am here asking questions; however, based on what they told me, I can confirm that compared with my wife's 2016 Ford Fusion (taking to heart the idea that the Jag has a Ford TPMS system that is using), the steps are very similar when it comes to changing TPMS sensors...

The only difference between the Fusion and XF is that performing the re-learn can be done without a diagnostic tool on the Fusion; you follow some steps in order to trigger the car into re-learn mode and then it will ask you to go from corner to corner to either release air from the tire in order to trigger the sensor, or you can use a small remote that sends a signal to awake the sensor and the computer will recognize when is active and store in its DB. Each time the sensor is sensed and stored, the car will honk once for confirmation.
And this procedure has been true on a lot of Ford vehicles, including old models - plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it.

Now, who is wrong and right... I don't know, but based on the information that was provided to me, I will tend to believe them (the Jag dealer).
I guess I will see what's what when I actually get my new wheels and sensors sometime next month.

I apologize for wasting your time. I'm not trying to shut-down anyone, I am just trying to gather the right information before doing a change on the car.
Since no one seems to know about this diagnostic tool from Autel, I will go ahead and try to get more information from the actual manufacturer.

Thanks again!

Old 04-26-2019, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Thanks for clarifying.
If you read the service manual it describes the tpms relearn procedure. You fit the new sensor. Drive the car for a bit (15 mins above some speed as you say) and it self learns. No programming needed.

I can tell you for 100pc certain that's the case on my 2010 model. I've replaced sensors 3-4 times in the 6+ years I've had the car as I have winter wheels and also tried a set of non oem ones. Each time I just bought new sensors, had them mounted in the wheels and put the wheels on the car. Didn't take long to relearn the new IDs

But if the auto learn doesn't work for some reason I guess that approach gets around the issue

Old 04-27-2019, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Thanks for clarifying.
If you read the service manual it describes the tpms relearn procedure. You fit the new sensor. Drive the car for a bit (15 mins above some speed as you say) and it self learns. No programming needed.

I can tell you for 100pc certain that's the case on my 2010 model. I've replaced sensors 3-4 times in the 6+ years I've had the car as I have winter wheels and also tried a set of non oem ones. Each time I just bought new sensors, had them mounted in the wheels and put the wheels on the car. Didn't take long to relearn the new IDs

But if the auto learn doesn't work for some reason I guess that approach gets around the issue
I believe you. Like I have mentioned, I only go by the information that was provided to me.
It could be that the guy I was talking with might of not know something.

Anyway, I got to talk with a technician from m Autel as well and they were able to show me how to perform this operation if I ever need to. Pretty simple actually.
They even have a self-test option to figure out if everything is OK.