XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF Supercharged induction elbow brake booster fitting

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 12:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XF Supercharged induction elbow brake booster fitting

In searching for an intake leak in my 2009 XF Supercharged I discovered the brake booster hose was loose in the induction elbow. The red plastic collet in the brass sleeve had become brittle and failed. I then discovered the fitting for the X-type is too small and that Jaguar will only sell the complete induction elbow so I did a little detective work and discovered that the quick connect fitting is made by John Guest in the UK and that the collet is also used in their plumbing fittings. You can leave the brass sleeve in place in the induction elbow – fish out the pieces of broken collet & old o-ring and then fit the collet and o-ring from the plumbing fitting. I did this and my booster hose is now tight.

The red automotive fitting is a 12mm Speedfit item no. MM1412NR. The color is just a dye – all of the collets are made from the same Acetal material, regardless of color. Page 18 of the catalog - http://www.johnguest.com/wp-content/...5-205-0116.pdf Unfortunately, these are only available in boxes of 500 from distributors.

The plumbing fittings also use the same Acetal collet and are available from Amazon, among others. They can sometimes be found singly in the USA but more usually in packs of 10.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dindustrial&field-keywords=PM011213E https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dindustrial&field-keywords=PM011213E

This should also work for other V8s with a 12mm brake booster hose.

Hope this helps someone.

Attached Thumbnails XF Supercharged induction elbow brake booster fitting-induction-elbow.jpg  
Attached Images  
The following 3 users liked this post by Aelfward:
Brayen (04-05-2018), davetibbs (12-26-2017), JagV8 (12-25-2017)
Old 12-25-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Awesome. I love these little hacks. Thanks!

Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,753 Posts

This has been beaten to death by all of us 4.2L SC owners. I would recommend a much simpler repair that has been done to dozens of 4.2L SC V-8's.

Please see this detailed thread on the problem and the various repairs.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-p0174-149418/

Anybody with a 4.2L SC engine should be aware that this P/B connection will fail. The O-Ring will get hard and crack causing a vacuum leak that as it gets worse will set a code. The simple brass fitting repair in the above thread will fix the problem permanently and the brass fitting is about $6.

It's worth a look!

The following users liked this post:
Brayen (04-05-2018)
Old 12-28-2017, 10:06 PM

I saw that thread a while back and I agree - the threaded connector is a good solution but you have to remove the induction elbow in order to remove the brass sleeve and then drill & tap for the threaded brass fitting. The collet and o-ring can be replaced without removing the induction elbow.
The factory fitting that tbird6 recommended is too small in diameter and does not fit but I was able to identify it as a John Guest item so I'm very grateful to him for his post. It was fairly simple then to identify the 12mm version from their catalog and then, through a contact, establish that they use the exact same collet and o-ring in their plumbing fittings so the part I recommended above is a factory original part. I would argue that that is a much simpler solution than removing the induction elbow together with everything needed to access the bottom two screws. Interestingly, the XF, XF SV8 engine bay and Speedfit fittings are shown on their homepage - Automotive | John Guest Speedfit

Being a factory original part, it's true that it will dry out in time but you could upgrade the o-ring to a Viton version which would fare better than the original.

They're both good solutions - it's personal choice which to use. I just wanted to let people know where they could get a direct replacement since Jaguar don't sell one.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Well when are you going to change the hose under the SC?
This WILL need to be changed. It again is another repair that must be done because the hose will fail and leak.

That's when I did the P/B fitting. As long as you don't disturb the P/B connection the vacuum leak is usually small. But I found out that moving the hose during the under SC hose repair completely destroyed what was left of the O-Ring.

You must be a magician because I see no way to fix that P/B connection without removing it. Just no room to work?
I had to tap the brass fitting out of the elbow from the inside which again I could not see how to do without removal.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:37 PM

There's no need to remove the brass sleeve in order to replace the collet and o-ring and yes, there is limited room.

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it can't be done. Suggest you tone down the attitude.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member

Well good luck!
You have replaced the O-ring which will fail again.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:48 PM

Thanks. And yes it will one day. If I still have the car then, I may replace it with a Viton O-ring which won't harden like the original and is good for 400F in continuous duty. If I get bored, I may just swap it out anyway.

All the best and have a happy new year!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Did I understand correctly ? - by reference the part in which there is a spare part we need? need to buy and disassemble it?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Yes - that's right. The manufacturer uses the same collet and O-ring in their plumbing fittings as in their automotive fittings. Don't remove the brass sleeve - just make sure you pick out all the bits of old O-ring and collet.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aelfward
Yes - that's right. The manufacturer uses the same collet and O-ring in their plumbing fittings as in their automotive fittings. Don't remove the brass sleeve - just make sure you pick out all the bits of old O-ring and collet.
we began to disassemble today, but there is a vacuum tube 13mm. Can there be a ring 12mm ??

Old 04-17-2018, 08:24 PM

The tube that plugs into the push connect fitting goes to the brake booster. The one on my 2009 XF Supercharged has a 12mm OD. I checked John Guest's catalog and they don't make a 13mm. They do have 1/2" fittings - I don't know what was fitted to a 1999 S-type. Try measuring away from the end of the brake booster hose to see if it measures differently from the very end which could have been affected by the fuel air mix flowing through the induction elbow. The brass fitting mod that Clubairth1 links to above is also a good solution but you will have to fully remove the induction elbow first.