XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR-S Interesting

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default XFR-S Interesting

I was looking at a 2014 XFR-s the other day 5K miles. It was a loaner in the showroom - I have been following them for a while there are about 4 for sale around the USA that I could find. Watched some reviews but went to look at one.

Summary I was disappointed, although I did not take it for a spin.

1) Carbon Skirt: As a result of the lower suspension I noticed that the front lower carbon skirt was messed up - I could see a crack and serious chips going on. Obviously people had mashed the front going up a drive etc.

2) The Rear Wing or table. Mmmmm it is definitely a picnic-topic of conversation when your standing right next to it. Noticed, also that there are where several scratches on the carbon as if people wanted to mark it up because it is so stand out. It really does stand out in your face, not in a assertive wow way, but a cheap sleezy way, if that makes sense. I would have preferred to see one that rises up when you are doing speed like the F type. Around town it did does not need to be that loud and you do kind a look like a ricer and people will look but may actually laugh !

IMO they also missed a couple of key items on the interior e.g., heads up display would have been nice, a racing steering wheel, some integrated dials showing performance metrics. Okay and front and rear cameras to view etc These are just items to make it feel more special and self justification for the price.

Net is the reviews are spot on - it just does not seem worth the extra cash for what your getting. Yes the performance may be great but missing that "touch of class" to make it extra special for those of us that are not on the track every month.

Sad.

Last edited by bollocsk187; 02-20-2015 at 11:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 06:37 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't think you can appreciate the car until you drive it. I have not driven it but I think you have to understand the philosophy of why it is what it is. The people who damaged the car have no business owning the car or being within sight of the car. It is a car that is designed for one person and to please only one person, the driver. You can never drive the car hard enough in the United States on the public highway to appreciate it and it is not the best weapon for the track because of its weight. It is a high speed touring car designed to transport up to 4 people and their luggage at triple digit speeds in comfort. The wing probably does not provide any downforce much under a 100. Jaguar has not embraced the electronic gizmo and gadget theory of automotive excellence. I know that they will have to in order to compete. Having driven on the autobahn I have no need for what I consider electronic crap but to each his own. I did drive a Cadillac CTSV sedan and it is almost impossible to keep it under a 100 and you can't keep idiots in Hondas and Toyotas out of your way and the cops are going to get you. The XFRS is every bit as fast as the Caddy, has much better attention to detail, interior, and I am sure it will handle a smidgen better with outstanding brakes.

The following users liked this post:
bollocsk187 (02-21-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

So being an owner I have a couple of comments...
You need to drive it. It's pretty insane accel and braking and just damn smooth cruising with high attention to wind/motor/exhaust noise being removed. Good and bad. Very comfortable seats. Mine is triple black without the picnic bench on the trunk and it gets a lot of attention (usually, what is it?)

The negatives: Well you mentioned the front trim. It hangs sooooo low that you have to maintain a foot back from any curb parking. The interior is *about* as dated as the M series. I would prefer design aspects from Audi, BMW, Jag blended together as each has its own negatives. Again, seats are very comfortable. I was uncomfortable in M series... The control center is behind the times but honestly each one had its pluses and minuses. But I would only give the Jag a 6 out of 10 on the control center.

There are four of these for sale here in the Dallas area -- all come with the portable picnic table.

Go drive the top 3-4 sedans all back to back. Be sure to put each in its highest performance setting. See how the Jag tickles you. (BTW, you need to put the Jag in "S"+Dynamic for the test). My list would be S6, M5, CLS63, XFRS....

Happy driving!

The following 2 users liked this post by allenman85:
bollocsk187 (02-21-2015), Panthro (10-05-2016)
Old 02-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Hay bollocsk187,

I brought up many of your same comments in another post. But what you have to remember that the XFR-S was design to be a more all around car with mad speed and what I think is a still value price for what you get. The BMW and Benz will run you much more and don't really look any different then their lower siblings. When I purchased my XFR I compared it to BWM and Benz equivalent and what I found is that the Jaguar drew more attention, was more comfortable for everyday use, and had more space. All of that and I still had mad horse power. Plus you don't see Jag's running around all over the place like you see in the rivals. As for the electronic Gizmos, From looking at the new XE, Jaguar has finally got on board with the toys, heads up display, camera, etc. I'm sure these toys will filter down into the other models as they are refreshed. I expect to see the new redesigned XF carrying these toys when it is revealed in one of the big auto shows. My only concern is that Jaguar may try to raise their price line to equal the competitors. Just my 0.02 cents.

The following 3 users liked this post by Redjaguar100:
bollocsk187 (02-21-2015), Panthro (10-05-2016), sparkenzap (02-21-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the XF-RS is too boy racer, go for the XFR. I found it to be the right balance of price, performance, and exclusivity while maintaining the classy looks.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
If the XF-RS is too boy racer, go for the XFR. I found it to be the right balance of price, performance, and exclusivity while maintaining the classy looks.
Or...an XF RS without the picnic table on the back. See my garage.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

My Jag dealer has a "new" 2014 XFR-S without the picnic table for sale ....

Old 02-25-2015, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Make sure you use your parking sensors when pulling into a spot. The sensors do detect curbs if you turn them on and pull into a spot. The XFR and even the Supercharged bumpers sit low enough to crunch a curb.