XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJ Battery connection

Old 07-11-2018, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XJ Battery connection

Hello, I recently purchased a 2011 XJL that sustained damaged to the rear bumper cover area. In making the necessary repairs I saw where the vehicle's battery terminals had been previously removed. I have obtained the positive and negative terminals and installed both. The issue that I now face is realizing that there is apparently a wire that is missing from the positive terminal. Does anyone know what the small wire is that connects to the positive terminal of the battery? What color this wire is, what does it control or where does it route to? On that same note, I also see that there is also a connector located on the negative terminal. Would also like to know what colors those wires are and what they go to or control. I have attempted looking for wiring diagrams that will show these connections however with no success.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

The battery monitor module is the black plastic part on the -ve clamp. The connector on the end is C4DC05A, two way, 1-white and 2-blue. There is nothing connected to the stud there (it is for the optional CTEK battery tender).

The +ve clamp has a single wire attached to the stud. It is connected to 2-blue on the connector above.

1-white is the LIN (network/feedback) wire that goes to C3BP01E/3 on the central junction fuse box behind the rear armrest/seat back.

Refer to the attached PDF schematic if that wasn't clear enough. The module on the -ve clamp is the bit marked Battery on the left.

I've also attached a photo of my car.

I note there is a splice SPL100 on the blue wire. I cannot find other references to that in the electrical schematics so it may be one-to-one. I can't guarantee I haven't missed something though...!

If you need to buy the -ve connector it is JLR part no YPC801710. It is classed as non-serviceable so they do not list the field pig tail/pin kits so I am unsure what you'd need... trial and error may be required to get a good electrical fit.

Attached Files

Last edited by xdave; 07-11-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:16 PM

THANK YOU so much XDAVE for your rapid and much needed response. The information that you have provided was on the mark. Thank you also for the diagram and images. Your car is very nice.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

That wire on the positve cable is a fusable link to the battery monitor module on the negative cable. It works with the battery monitor, ecu, and alternator for proper charging. You wouldnt believe how many shops replace alternators after this wire is grounded out by careless battery jumping/charging. Then they send to dealer to have us replace the wire and tell the customer they didnt need the new alternator that was put in.

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
daholmes (07-11-2018), JagV8 (07-11-2018), QP7 (01-19-2024)
Old 07-11-2018, 04:25 PM

Yep, that was exactly what I was dealing now with after connecting the battery wires. But thanks to you, that is now resolved. I will tell you that trying to repair a Jaguar has not been an easy project largely due to the difficulty in locating the smaller parts. Parts like the fasteners that secure the front bumper cover (at the radiator support area), the fasteners that secure the engine compartment fuse box lid, the fasteners that secure the wheel well. I have even contacted the parts department of a Jaguar dealership nearest my area and they too seemed rather confused and therefore unable to provide any part numbers to the parts mentioned. It does seem that you have a vast knowledge on the vehicles or at the very least, the XJ's. Would it be at all possible for you to provide any information (ie. part numbers) for these items? Lastly, I purchased a nice set of headrest TV's from a salvaged XJ and have installed them along with the backrest picnic trays they came with. Are you ware of the harness that is needed to connect the TV's to? The TV headrest did have a length of wire harness with them however that harness has to connect to another harness and is the portion that I am searching for. It very well could be that maybe my car has that section/harness already in the center console. Sometimes manufactures will install various section of harness for accessories even though that particular vehicle does not have a certain accessory I saw that apparent when installing the illuminated air vents. I saw where I was able to plug the power cable directly into a harness that was already there. I was not as lucky for the front air vents as I have been unable to locate such power harness and it looks like I might be diving deeper into the dash in efforts to locate a power source for the illuminated dash air vents.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:49 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by daholmes
..., I purchased a nice set of headrest TV's from a salvaged XJ and have installed them along with the backrest picnic trays they came with. Are you ware of the harness that is needed to connect the TV's to? The TV headrest did have a length of wire harness with them however that harness has to connect to another harness and is the portion that I am searching for. ...
Oh boy, are you in for a treat. Here is a taster of what you may be letting yourself in for!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...inment-186178/

I bought mine with the TVs already in - this looks like a seriously tricky job, but if you are lucky xdave will come along with some pointers for you!

Last edited by christ; 07-12-2018 at 03:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
daholmes (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Ah ha - a fuseable link makes sense when you step away from the schematics and actually consider what that blue wire is doing. I imagine the current draw for the battery module should be quite low (easily tested with a multimeter) so if the entire wiring is missing from your car you could either fit an inline fuse or select a suitable CSA wire to splice in a short length and wrap in a self-extinguishing tape/foam.

the fasteners that secure the front bumper cover (at the radiator support area)

5: C2C35071 (spring nut)
12: XR831688
13: C2S11343
14: C2S9354
15: C2C32665 (M6X20 bolt with captive washer)
18: C2Z3858
19: C2D14469
20: C2S45016
22: C2C35071
23: XR846154 (plastic)
25: C2D7971 (plastic)

If not one of those please can you describe the part/area. If you need any steel fixings I urge you to use aftermarket stainless steel parts, particularly for the spring nuts, if you ever want to disassemble in the future.

the fasteners that secure the engine compartment fuse box lid
I'm not sure which fasteners you mean here - do you have a picture?

the fasteners that secure the wheel well

Most of those fixings are M5x20mm screws with captive washers (3: C2Z3858).
There are also 2 push in plastic fixings each side for the lower outer front and back holes (5: C2S9354).
On the engine-side there is a single M6 plastic nut that secures it against the threaded stud forward of the wheel centre. It is 4: XR854810. A stainless locking nut (with the nlyon inserts) and a suitable washer will do the same job. Beware galvanic corrosion when choosing a metal nut.

Regarding the RSE install, have a read through that thread Christ linked to first to give you an idea of what else you will need.

There is a link harness in each seat (same part for each side) that connects the headrest stem connectors to the harness under the seat.
Then you add the telematics harness, or adapt via an overlay which is usually easiest as the RSE system is virtually self-contained.
If the vehicle doesn't presently have a TV tuner fitted the rear glass needs replacing (or you can just limit to DVD/USB video only).

Best to ask questions about that in the other thread, or start a new one.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Thanks again XDave. Once again, you have proven most helpful. WOW!, this is involves far more than I expected. I did purchase what I am hoping is a complete set from Ebay a year or so ago. I never even opened the box the stuff came in because I installed the headsets that I also purchased from a seller on Ebay that matched my peanut butter brown interior whereas the set that I purchased previously was black. The black set is supposedly original Jaguar headrest and is why I purchased them with the intent of having the material color changed to the brown. I now need to open that box up and see exactly what parts came in that shipment. I do know that all parts are new but not certain what parts are included in the box. I guess that I was hoping that connecting the brown headrest would be as simple as connecting the harness telematics harness. It never crossed my mind of the remote control, the RSE module, headphones, ect. At this point I'm not taking the headrest out. I'll just keep searching for the parts that I will need in order to get this all operational. If you know of or learn of anyone selling the items I am in need of, please let me know.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 AM

Thank you Christ. The information that you provided was extremely helpful. I didn't realize that there was so much involved in installing the OEM system. At this point I am in because I have already installed the OEM headrest. If you have or here of anyone selling any of the remaining items that I will need to complete my install, please let me know.