XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013 xj - locking the car while engine runs

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 2013 xj - locking the car while engine runs

Is it possible to lock our 2013 XJ while the engine is running? We travel a lot with our small dog and would like to be able to lock the car with the engine running, to maintain the A/C or heat, depending upon the temperature.

I know that I can walk away from the car when it's still idling, but I can't lock it.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

KingFala, I've moved your post from the general tech section to the XJ section where members with similar models can best advise

regards,
steve

Old 08-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingFala
Is it possible to lock our 2013 XJ while the engine is running? We travel a lot with our small dog and would like to be able to lock the car with the engine running, to maintain the A/C or heat, depending upon the temperature.

I know that I can walk away from the car when it's still idling, but I can't lock it.

KingFala, I note that you are short on replies, probably because it's a bid idea on so many levels!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Effbee
KingFala, I note that you are short on replies, probably because it's a bid idea on so many levels!
Why would it be a bad idea? If it's locked -- what's the problem? If it's theft -- that's why one buys insurance.

I just need the convenience. I suppose we can always use my wife's 2011 MKX, which literally allows all kinds of iterations. Two separate smart-key fobs that allows each to set and remember seat, mirrors, radio stations, AC & heat settings, map positions and or so many other conveniences. Including, the ability to lock and let running as well as remote start. Whew! And that's only a Lincoln (I think the Fords do the same thing)

Is it a rant, no only a question. I guess I have the answer, which is NO!

Just asking.

THANX
King Fala

Old 08-16-2014, 03:35 AM

Why would it be a bad idea?
King Fala
Oh dear, we won't see eye to eye on this one, it's one of those situations where if it has to explained, its a lost cause. Pleased for the dog that it can't be done.
Couldn't care less if your car is stolen, its the dog that matters.

And I have had the pleasure of sharing the lives of three Labradors in my life, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Effbee; 08-16-2014 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

And normally an insurance co will not pay out if you walk away from a running car which is then stolen (just think why!).

It's illegal (a crime) over here, too. Can you say runaway vehicle? You can.

The following users liked this post:
Effbee (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 AM

Lord, save me from the "greenies". I guess keeping the dog comfortable is not part of the "dog lovers" bible. Sorry I asked about it. I wasn't looking for judgmental advice, only helpful information on the question. Although it is good to know that so many people are ready to tell you how to run your life.
Luck
King Fala

Old 08-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

People get killed by runaway cars. I'd prefer not to be one of them so really really would like people not to do what you asked, dog or no dog.

Effbee (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:07 AM

Lord, save me from the "greenies". I guess keeping the dog comfortable is not part of the "dog lovers" bible. Sorry I asked about it. I wasn't looking for judgmental advice, only helpful information on the question. Although it is good to know that so many people are ready to tell you how to run your life.
Luck
King Fala
A forum is a place where we can offer advice and information, both to the knowledgeable, and less well informed. Let us know if you find a solution to your problem, perhaps leave the dog at home when out and about in the Jagwar!

Last edited by Effbee; 08-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Luck
King Fala
King Fala-
I totally agree with you! You asked a perfectly reasonable question, and received nothing but totally stupid responses. It is amazing that someone who thinks more about preventing accidental death of pet animals than many have given about with their own infant children who were left in the insufferable heat of a closed, non-air conditioned vehicle, and therefore died, should suffer such insulting responses. Runaway cars? Unless your dogs know how to release the parking brake, turn the transmission selector knob out of Park, and step on the accelerator pedal, I doubt very much their would be a problem with leaving your dogs, or even an infant child, in a locked but air-conditioned vehicle, compared with the alternative, i.e. certain death.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 08-17-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

While I don't know if he ever trolls this forum section, the JagWrangler is a freaking EXPERT when it comes to working magic with fobs and electrical signals - perhaps a PM would be worth it?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
King Fala-
I totally agree with you! You asked a perfectly reasonable question, and received nothing but totally stupid responses. It is amazing that someone who thinks more about preventing accidental death of pet animals than many have given about with their own infant children who were left in the insufferable heat of a closed, non-air conditioned vehicle, and therefore died, should suffer such insulting responses. Runaway cars? Unless your dogs know how to release the parking brake, turn the transmission selector knob out of Park, and step on the accelerator pedal, I doubt very much their would be a problem with leaving your dogs, or even an infant child, in a locked but air-conditioned vehicle, compared with the alternative, i.e. certain death.
Oh Dear!
It is against the law in the UK to leave a child unattended in a car, not sure it is for an animal, but it's equally thoughtless.
I think most responses to the original question are guidance and hopefully helpful, in the same way as we guide children about right and wrong (or should).
'nuff said I hope.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member

It's also against the law to leave the engine running in an unattended vehicle, regardless of animal or child. It's a crime precisely because of the dangers.

A car comes out of park into drive easier than some assume. And the EPB auto-releases...

Davidsw (08-19-2014)