XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Tire question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire question.

I have a very slow leak in one of my rear summer factory Continentals. I have taken the wheel/tire to two different tire stores to no avail. They say there are two small holes right next to each other and they wouldn't be able to put a plug in because of their proximity to each other. Hoping to get one more summer out of these. Anyone every used a fix a flat can in a situation like this? I don't want to wreck the TPMS. May try and take it to one more tire shop. On my winter setup right now so no massive rush.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

IF the 2 holes are side by side, then they should be able to pull the tire off of the rim and patch the tire itself. That would fix your issue.

As for using "fix a flat" product, if you are going to use it, make sure you drive that tire for like 20 minutes afterwards. Otherwise, you are going to end up with a tire that will not be able to be balanced since there will be a large lump of the fix material on one side of the tire. By driving it, you force the material to evenly distribute itself over the complete tire.

As for what it will do to the TMPS sensor, I can almost guarantee that it will mess up the sensor and make it so when you pull the tire off, it will require replacing. At a minimum, I see it getting the fix a flat material on it and causing you to need a large amount of weight on the rim to counteract that added weight of the TMPS with the fix a flat stuck to it.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:23 PM

That makes sense. I think I will see if someone can put a patch on the inside. Thank you.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Using a tire plug is a last resort, temporary fix until you can get it done right.

I would never do business with a tire shop that wants to repair a flat tire with a plug and nothing else. That's the quick, cheap and lazy way - plus, it's unsafe, even though they'll tell you otherwise. A tire plug is inserted through the tread from the outside and, even though designs have improved, I wouldn't bet my life on that plug staying put and not blowing out. Be safe and insist on having the tire dismounted from the wheel, inspected and properly repaired with the right patch.

From Tire Rack: The proper way to repair a tire - https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretec....jsp?techid=77

Be safe, not sorry. Never cut corners to save a few bucks on tire repairs or brakes. Is that "savings" worth jeopardizing your life and the lives of others?

Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

You need to find a tire shop that will use a product called a "patch plug". Think of it like a plug with a hat on it. The diameter of the patch end may cover the two holes with the plug being inserted into the biggest hole. The patch plug is typically used to fix a run flat tire because a plug alone will work it's way out for some reason associated with the tire construction. Most dealers will simply tell you a run flat cannot be fixed and to buy a new tire. So, not everybody has patch plug knowledge..

Old 03-03-2018, 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Did you read Tire Rack's advice? "... Driving on an improperly repaired tire is dangerous because it can further damage the tire and/or allow its strength to deteriorate over time. An improperly repaired tire driven at high speeds may suddenly fail, causing loss of vehicle control."

Using a patch plug, without inspecting the inside of the tire for possible additional damage and a without also using a patch, is not recommended. Your tire, your money, your life - but also your liability if your that lousy tire repair causes property damage or personal injury to someone else.

Last edited by Stuart S; 03-03-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:55 AM

Oh yeah I'm going to make sure it's done correctly based upon all the advice. I will be calling around. Thank you.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:31 PM

No argument, I would certainly err on the side of safety and avoid liability at any cost. Good judgment wins out.
My experience is based on a recent visit to a Firestone dealer who acquainted me with a rubber repair device he called a patch plug and we had it installed for a puncture on my better half's BMW run flat tire at their recommendation. I suspect risk might be mitigated by the fact that the repair is done to a run flat tire.
Here's a description of the process FYI:
The tire is broken down and inspected. The patch and it's attached plug is applied from the inside of the tire. The stem or plug part of this device is pulled through the hole from the inside of the tire leaving the patch or hat of the device cemented firmly against the inner wall of the tire. The plug cannot pull out because it's attached to the broad patch on the inside of the tire. Granted this is my first exposure to this kind of patching device.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:58 PM

Well second place and same outcome. He said they use "patch plugs". There are two very small homes next to each other and the patch plugs would be overlapping each other and or outer ring of patch would be covering second hole. Said holes are to close to each other. Going to one more place tomorrow morning and then throwing in the towel if they say no go.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 PM

Sounds like you're fully cooked on this one. Unfortunate that you have two holes in close proximity to contend with. Ordinarily, the plug patch would be an okay fix for the duration with one puncture. I wouldn't fool around trying to patch in this situation. Buy a tire (or two) and be safe.