XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

XJL after the first 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts
Default XJL after the first 1000 miles

So, I got it past 1000 miles. Average displayed MPG is 27.0 Not bad for a car and engine this size.

After my initial panic regarding the huge amounts of battery power the car uses I settled down for the everyday routine. The car has been great; I love the power from the 385 HP engine, love the transmission and love the amenities that are new to me after coming from my 2008 XK.

The voice control is priceless as it allows me to keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road, instead of being distracted by trying to press on the touch screen's various points for phone calls, radio, cd player or navigation, etc. I've been using all voice and loving it.

My only options were the wood steering wheel and the adaptive lighting. Since I do a fair amount of winding, hilly driving I often get surprised with my high beams ON when a car would be coming around the corner. The steep canyon walls often won't allow the lights of the oncoming car to be seen and I'd be frantically trying to find the stalk to switch off the high beams. No more of that, the adaptable light package will do it perfectly and much faster than I could.

I have the base 600W stereo which sounds quite nice, much of it due to a quieter cabin than my XK. Navigation is much improved over the XK's which was nearly useless. I can actually go by this one and beginning to trust it by now.

The car is simply gorgeous; the colors Cashmere/cashew was a compromise. I wanted white exterior with Ivory, my wife wanted nothing to do with white. Neither of us wanted dark anything, given the fact that we live in a hot part of California and the car will be parked outside a fair amount during my travels. So, Cashmere it is and it is working well with the contrasts. I actually like the blacked-out C-pillars. As far as color selections; I have not seen a Jag color I did not like, yet. Brits do have excellent taste when it comes to that.

The handling is surprisingly good and agile for such a big car. Not sure how they achieved that nearly zero body roll in the corners. One review suggested that it was done with the adaptable dampers but, I'd like to hear more details how. Cornering is quite neutral, no heavy understeer, such as I had in both of my previous XKs. The steering is perfectly geared, quick and accurate without being jumpy. Fantastic job Jaguar

So, I am VERY happy with the car but, no car is perfect. Here is the short list where I would like to see improvements.

FOB is too large, too heavy. They are making them smaller for 2013, I'd like to think that Jag would subsidize an exchange, given all that complaint from owners and testers.

Instrument panel is too dim. I've seen much brighter virtual screens in other makes. Either the top of the instrument pod should extend further towards the steering wheel or the instruments should be set deeper in the dash to block the vertical sun glare into the already dim instrument panel. The shelf just below the instrument panel should not be semi-gloss but, flat so it would not reflect the vertical sun.

Ride. Even with the 19" wheels/tires the ride is not quite plush to go with the plush exterior/interior of the XJL. I know the trend is against me but, I'd prefer 17" wheels which would give an other 1" of sidewall, which then could be made more flexible which, in turn, would allow for a smoother ride while still providing plenty good handling. Lexus, Mercedes S-class and the BMW 7 series all come with 18" standards and provide the larger (19 & 20) wheels as options for people who want them. I think that Jaguar should, at least, follow the same path.

My negatives, however, do not make a dent on the positives that the XJL represents for me. It makes the BMW7, Mercedes-S, Audi-8 and Lexus 460 competition look absolutely pedestrian compared to the gorgeous lines and interior of the Jag. I am a rather happy Jaguar customer, this being my third one in the row (2005XK, 2008XK, 2012XLJ Portfolio).

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-18-2012 at 05:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by axr6:
EvilGenius (08-24-2012), tommyd (09-10-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 03:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Nice review,thanks for the write up.I. think they also address the roof popping problem, it is not acceptable for a car like like this

Old 08-18-2012, 04:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Albert,

Excellent and balanced appraisal of your XJL. Makes a great read and useful for anyone weighing up a potential purchase from the same range of competition you considered.

Graham

Old 08-18-2012, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Thanks for an excellent appraisal and interesting read.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Great write up, glad you are pleased, I have covered 16500 miles in mine now and I still love it so much, really does feel so very special and I keep telling myself how lucky I am to own it.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't agree more with this write-up.

I am only one week into my 2012 XJL, in Silver, with Ivory interior & Oyster trim.

I have had a number of Jags but this one is the best yet. Absolutely fabulous. I can't believe that I was seriously considering the Audi A8. Don't get me wrong, Audis are fine cars (we have owned many of them) but, for sheer style and interior ambiance, the XJ cannot be beat. I just love the British materials and craftsmanship but, there again, I am an ex Brit!

I also find the key fob a little cumbersome but not a big deal. One thing I would really love to have is a digital speedometer. I can't believe that Jag didn't offer this as a user programable feature. I'm no expert but I would have thought that it would not take a programmer more than 2 or 3 hours to add this at the factory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The only thing I disagree with in Albert's write-up is the size of the wheels. I think the 19's are the minimum that should be on this car. It would not look good with 17's. I too would like a slightly smoother ride and I have heard that Jag may be addressing this with the 2013's. I heard a rumor that the 2013 will have an adjustable suspension.

I first saw the new XJ at the Los Angeles auto show before it's official introduction. It was love at first sight and I remember commenting to my wife that the XJ is the nearest thing to a Bentley that I have seen, at a fraction of the price. The Bentley (to my mind) is now looking dated and the XJ has to be the best looker on the road. I also love the fact that you don't see many of them.

Congratulations to Jag for designing such a stunning vehicle.

Roger

Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerdodger
I first saw the new XJ at the Los Angeles auto show before it's official introduction. It was love at first sight and I remember commenting to my wife that the XJ is the nearest thing to a Bentley that I have seen, at a fraction of the price. The Bentley (to my mind) is now looking dated and the XJ has to be the best looker on the road. I also love the fact that you don't see many of them.

Congratulations to Jag for designing such a stunning vehicle.

Roger
I also remember seeing the 2011 XJ first at my local dealer. I don't remember many times in my lifetime being impressed with a design of a large luxury sedan so much. I told the attending salesman that it would be my next purchase. So, it is.

Interesting that you mentioned similarities to the Bentley. Last weekend my house guest, the President of the US Lamborghini Club also drew that parallel. I responded that, yes, there were some similarities but, the XJL design looked much fresher and better than the Bentley. He agreed with me.

Jaguar had simply done an outstanding job of making a huge hunk of metal look and behave like the Big Cat. Soft, alluring skin, all muscle and poise under.

Albert

Old 08-19-2012, 04:13 AM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

I used my XJ for a friends wedding two weeks ago, it was all decked out with the ribbons and bows.
I was also a guest at the wedding and a bit later the toastmaster came up to me to compliment me on the car, he said as I drove up with the bride and groom he thought it may have been a Bentley due to how large the car is, ( it is a LWB ) the front badge was covered by a bow !
He got me to park right out the front of the venue, it was only when he saw the leaper on the rear that he realised it was a jaguar, he said he had never seen a New XJ before !
The car got lots of comments throughout the afternoon for other guests.

Last edited by roviw; 08-19-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm 600 miles into my ownership, and I really love my car. I'm not bothered about the size of the key, I have to say. The ride is firm, and bumps are relayed to the cabin, but in comparison with the BMW M5 that was the "other" choice, it's like sitting on a duvet.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think in sport mode the ride is a bit rough, but in regular D drive mode, it's quite smooth.
Cars that ride like lexus are a snooze. Way too insulated.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Excellent post, axr6...enjoyed reading it. Have had mine for over 6 months now and a few thousand miles, and I still love it like the day I first took ownership of it!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

As stated, an excellent and balanced view, thanks for sharing your insights

Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kick-*** write up. That's the kind of info I'm looking for researching my next car