XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

2008 VDP Tire Pressure Monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 VDP Tire Pressure Monitoring system

I purchased and had installed 4 new tires and replaced the tire pressure monitoring sensors with 5 new sensors including one for the spare tire.The sensors are Echlin ignition OE style 315 Mh made for 2008 VPD. The message used to show pressure issue with the left and right rear tires, but with the new sensors the dash board message now reads "tire pressure system fault". Drove the car for 15-20 minutes, but the system tire pressure system fault message stays on.

The tire installer who scanned says that the sensors are transmitting. I contacted local Jaguar dealer who wants to scan and charge for an hour labour. Any ideas of the source of the problem? Many thanks. I appreciate you advice.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

It took longer than 15-20 minutes for my system to reset when I had new tires installed. Drive it for at least 30 minutes and wait a few days. The issue may resolve without going to the dealer.

The following users liked this post:
murphman (05-09-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VDP tire sensors 2008

Had same problem after new tires installed. Finally had Jag service replace, basically same price, no problems after that.

XJL (05-18-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
XJL

The isssue has now returned on my car I'm thinking about just replacing all five sensors........

Last edited by XJL; 05-20-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just not worth the grief. Have them pull the sensors. Clean em up. Try to get money back and have the dealer install Jag sensors.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Default 2008 VDP Tire Pressure Monitoring System-Mystery Continues

Update:

I drove the car back from Florida to Toronto with the tire pressure icon showing on the dash and the dash reading "Tire pressure system fault".
I took the car to my local jag mechanic and had a scan done. He was able to have the "tire pressure system fault" removed from the dash, but the tire pressure icon remains. He said to drive it and leave it for the day. I drove 35 KM yesterday and the dash shoed the same. Today I drove another 35km and the dash reading came back on showing "Tire pressure system fault". The tire pressure icon remains on.

I plan to return the car to my local mechanic to re-check. If it fails again, I will head to the dealership and explain that there are 4 new tires and 5 new sensors and leave it at the mercy of the dealer.

I appreciate any assistance and thank you for your earlier responses as the saga continues!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:46 PM
XJL

My issue has resolved and I also have a 2008 XJ. Here is what happened:

My independent Jag mechanic related that with his high end diagnostic tablet, he has just recently gained the ability to identify the specific tire pressure monitor that is faulty. He did not have this ability a month ago, but there was a recent update/upgrade. He hooked it up and found it was the front driver's side sensor.

Now, do you order the OEM Jag part for $120 or an aftermarket? I opted to go the safe route and got the OEM from the dealer. I went to a local tire shop and had them install it. This is a high volume and reputable shop and the manager looked up my car in a large book and told me I just needed to drive for 15 minutes above 20 MPH and the new sensor would clear the "Tire Pressure System Fault" message.

As I began driving, in addition to the "Tire Pressure System Fault" message I also got a "LH Front Sensor" error message for about 5 minutes then it disappeared. I drove for 30 minutes and the "Tire Pressure System Fault" message did not clear. I went back to the Tire Shop. The tech checked each sensor with a scanner and they all showed that they were transmitting. He said there was nothing they could do and suggested I go to the dealer and have them clear the code.

I then went back to the Independent Jag Shop where the mechanic cleared the error message and drove the car for 15 minutes above 20 MPH. No issues since.

Bottom line: If your independent mechanic does not have the ability to identify WHICH sensor is bad, you are better off going to the dealer and avoiding a lot of wasted time and frustration.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:59 PM
XJL

Here is additional information:

Problem: Metal Valve Caps.
While the bright and shiny chromeplated or metal valve caps that you see everywhere are often a nice effect compared to dull black plastic caps, when it comes to TPMS stems, they're a clear and present danger. Metal caps can easily cause corrosion on the threads of TPMS stems as well as beginnning to corrode themselves. The result is all too often that the cap will rust-weld itself to the stem, leading to outcomes from the cap simply seizing when a technician tries to remove it, to crossthreading issues, or even having the stem break off entirely. When the valve stem is a nonremovable part of the TPMS monitor, this goes from being a minor issue to a critical and often expensive problem.
Solution: Rubber Valve Caps. It's simple: Do not ever put metal valve caps on your TPMS valve stems. Black plastic or rubber caps may be dull and boring, but boring can be good. Having your expensive monitors turned to junk by corrosion is excitement you don't need. As Barry Steinberg from Direct Tire told me, “Initially they were putting out a lot of metal caps on these metal valve stems and they were seizing and cracking and breaking. But ever since they've all gone to rubber valve caps we've seen a lot less of that.”

Source: Achey Breakey Parts: TPMS And Corrosion

murphman (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM

XJL:

Many thanks. When I revisited my mechanic and told him the sad news today I made new arrangements to leave the car next week. He indicated that he has a tool to check each of the sensors (the tire dealer followed this approach to no avail) and is fairly confident he can fix the problem. I will let you know.

I did replace the metal caps with rubber caps because of the corrosion caused by the road salt. The dealer also installed new sensors which were corroded as well. Loook for an update next week. Thank you for your expertise and advice.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM
XJL

Glad to help.........that's what this wonderful forum is all about!

It sounds like he has a tool that checks to determine if each of the tire sensors are transmitting. That is not going to help since they are new and the odds of one being faulty is extremely low. Besides you already had the tire shop confirm they were transmitting.

What I suggest you do is find out if your mechanic has a diagnostic tool capable of identifying what is faulty. Again, this is brand new technology according to my independent Jaguar mechanic. If your mechanic does not have this ability, this may be a complete waste of time. Your mechanic has already cleared the error message but it came back on.

Other than replacing one or more of the receivers located under the plastic wheel well covers to try to identify the faulty one it's a shot in the dark. Then again, it may be the main computer module that runs the whole system. Again, with the proper diagnostic tool, which I'm sure the dealer has, you may be in for a lot of wasted time and money. A trip to the dealer is ALWAYS a last resort but I think it's the right direction to go unless you can find another independent Jaguar Shop that has this diagnostic tool.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Last edited by XJL; 05-23-2014 at 12:44 PM.
murphman (05-24-2014)
Old 05-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Default Tpms

XJL

I agree 100 percent with your approach. Stay tuned for more developments.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:30 PM
XJL

Well the "Tire Pressure System Fault" message came back today AGAIN. I'm now $245 dollars into this and hours of wasted time.

If anyone knows a way of disconnecting this system please PM me! I'm beyond frustrated and I'm going to take my own advice and probably going to go straight to the dealer next.

Last edited by XJL; 05-24-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Well I am now back from the dealer to fix the dash message "tire pressure system fault" . The tire pressure icon is still showing on the dash. The Jad dealer performed a scan and found the following codes:
C1A56-93 front left tire pressure sensor and transmitter assembly;
C1A58-93 front right tire pressure sensor and transmitter assembly;
C1A60-93 rear left " " " " " ;
C1A62-93 rear right " " " " " ;
C1A64-93 spare wheel " " " " (I had the sensor replaced in the spare when i purchased new tires

The dealer is unable to pinpoint the problem but believes it may be the sensor module which i believe is the transmitter found in the trunk. There is a risk, but it is cheaper to replace the sensor around $360 with labor than replacing all 5 sensors which as per my earlier threads have already been replaced. The dealer was able to remove the "tire pressure system fault" message, but the icon remained on. After driving about 40Km the icon flashed and the tire pressure system message came back on. The new sensors are the correct megahertz and are for jags so I am betting that it is the transmitter. I appreciate any further thoughts to deal with this very perplexing problem which is a real pian. I can now see why some owners put back tape on the dash to cover the message.

Murphman

Old 06-28-2014, 03:46 PM
XJL

My issue was a loose reader located under the wheel well cover. It was glued back on and no problems since. I doubt this is the cause of your issue as your getting error codes on all five sensors.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by murphman
Well I am now back from the dealer to fix the dash message "tire pressure system fault" . The tire pressure icon is still showing on the dash. The Jad dealer performed a scan and found the following codes:
C1A56-93 front left tire pressure sensor and transmitter assembly;
C1A58-93 front right tire pressure sensor and transmitter assembly;
C1A60-93 rear left " " " " " ;
C1A62-93 rear right " " " " " ;
C1A64-93 spare wheel " " " " (I had the sensor replaced in the spare when i purchased new tires

The dealer is unable to pinpoint the problem but believes it may be the sensor module which i believe is the transmitter found in the trunk.

Hi Murphman,

Our '04 doesn't have the tire pressure monitoring system, nor do the electrical schematics I have show the structure of the system. The EPC does show the parts of the system, including an antenna, Part 3 in the diagram I am attaching to this post. The diagram doesn't indicate where the antenna is mounted in the car, but my assumption would be that at least one end connects to the "Tyre Pressure Monitoring System" module. Thinking about how the system must work, the TPMS module must be a receiver rather than a transmitter. I assume it receives the signals from the four individual tire transmitters and communicates a warning to the instrument cluster in the event of a tire with low pressure.

It might be worth checking the integrity of the antenna to see if it has been damaged or disconnected. It might also be worth checking the wiring to the TPMS module to ensure it has 12V, its ground has low resistance to earth, etc. I don't know if the electrical schematics are available for the '08 MY but if so, perhaps they would show the connections for the TPMS.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files

Last edited by Don B; 06-28-2014 at 06:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (09-13-2014), murphman (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 PM

Don B:

I will check tomorrow and let you know. I appreciate your advice and the diagram.

Murphman

Old 09-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Default 2008 VDP-Tire Pressure Monitoring System-Saga Continues

By way of recap, last April had 5 sensors (Echlin ignition OE style 315 MHz) installed with purchase of new tires, but Tire Pressure System Fault message light never went off despite driving from Florida to Toronto. TP icon also showed on the dash. Had local mechanic scan the code and he was able to have Tire Pressure System Fault message deleted, but message reappeared a day later. I then went to the Jag dealer who scanned codes (see email string) and message was deleted but icon light remained on. Drove less than 40km when Tire Pressure System Fault light came back on. Went back to dealer who checked again and replaced TPMS module. I picked up the car, but TP icon still on. Drove less than 1km when Tire Pressure System Fault message reappeared and icon light still on. Went back to dealer who checked for broken wires (there were none) and dealer now suggests new Jaguar sensors. Having spent $600, I am reluctant to purchase new sensors from dealer unless there is a high probability they will work. Also cognizant of Murphy's law (no pun intended). Will try and get tire dealer to remove sensors and provide a credit since dealer represented to me that they would work. Any credit would be applied to purchase new jaguar sensors and have tire dealer install gratis. Icon still flashes on start-up and remains on with fault message. Any advice or suggested further steps is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Murphman I have the same problem on my 07 XJ8. I had a valve stem break off and replaced by a tire dealer. Within 10 minutes of leaving the shop the message went out but the icon stayed on, the next day the message "tire pressure system fault" has come on and it's been 6 days and it is still on. I would love to find the answer.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Default 2008 VDP Tire Pressure Monitoring System RESOLUTION HURRAH!

Since last May I have been dealing with the message on the dash "tire pressure system fault" after replacing all 5 sensors (with the installation of new tires) and a new module. With the assistance of SHOPTPMS (Garrett) I purchased new sensors (TPMS S0090 (315mhz)) and the message disappeared. The tire dealer also credited me the 5 sensors and installed the SHOPTPMS sensors. A new message indicating check front and rear tire pressure appeared. I took the car to the Jag dealer and the code was cleared and the tire pressure icon on the dash also disappeared...... so all is well. Many thanks for your helpful advice.

Murphman