XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Bilstein Air Spring - Rebuild Core

Old 06-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bilstein Air Spring - Rebuild Core

I know I am "beating a dead horse" here, but one last question. Or two.

1) does anyone rebuild cores?
2) if so, how much does that cost?

My thinking was that maybe I rebuild my original unit that failed and hang onto it in case the other rear unit ever fails.

I am a "hoarder" by nature, and I hate to throw out parts if they have any future value. Then again, the cost to rebuild versus buying a replacement may be cost prohibitive.

Just a thought. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jim, III

Old 06-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 12,717 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Hi Jim,

In the past, Arnott Industries has "rebuilt" the Bilstein air springs by replacing the bladders with new ones made by Goodyear. Our collective understanding is that they did not rebuild the dampers/shock absorbers, beyond, possibly, replacing the lower mounting bush. JF members have reported that Arnott no longer rebuilds the original Bilstein units and only offers its own proprietary replacements that do away with the CATS functionality (which some members consider no great loss). I do not know if any other company is currently rebuilding the Bilstein air springs/dampers.

In case you haven't seen it, our fellow member reyesl recently dissected one of his failed air spring/dampers and posted photos:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-away-143111/

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (06-20-2015), EssOess (06-20-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,418 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Having looked at the dissected air spring, it is clear to me it is just like most stand-alone hydraulic shocks, namely un-repairable. However Arnott managed to fit new air spring diaphragms, and most shops can replace the lower bushes, (fronts are on the wishbone, not the shock, BTW). However that's about it ! As Arnott have given up on air spring replacement, it is a matter of finding a source of these diaphragms and getting another firm to swap them out. What I find frustrating about these air springs is they seem to have been made exclusively for Jaguar (under Ford). There are other air spring systems that don't have combined units and thus are more easily maintained and replaced. I suspect it was the Ford insistence on using their existing suspension on the S-type and Lincoln LS that forced a special unit, with its high price that we find so painful today, 12 years down the line. Bilstein are to be congratulated in putting their OEM units onto the aftermarket at a price 30%c lower than Jaguar sell them for at dealers.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:20 PM

Thanks Don and Fraser. Much appreciated!

For the most part, we love in a "pull & replace" society. No one "fixes" or rebuilds anything today. NOT that I am one too talk!!!

I mess with older, classic cars, and there are non NOS let alone OEM parts.

Given the cost of a new air spring, I just thought if I could rebuild the original unit, it would be worth having just in case the other rear unit failed.

Based on what I am hearing, no one provides that service, and it may not even be cost effective if they did all things being equal.

Regardless, the Super V8 is back in action and ready for pick up. I DO appreciate all of the help and input.

Cheers,

Jim, III

Old 06-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 416 Posts

Does anyone here think they would ever want a complete set of non-leaking originals? I'm thinking in July of replacing all 4. If so, maybe post here or PM. (04 w/100k garaged all it's life)

Old 06-18-2015, 03:04 PM

Box,

I suppose people will buy anything at a certain price. Based on what I have read, 100K miles is getting "out there" for an original set of air springs, but if you're in "need" and can't/won't pay up for a new OEM replacement, used parts have their place.

On a side note, Car Steering Wholesale is selling new OEM Bilstein Air Springs for $800 if you're interested. For $44 more, they will have it in your hands the next day. The local Jaguar dealer wanted $1340 plus tax for the exact same unit. Not sure if they are the same units on your '04, but they carry a vast variety of Bilstein shocks and air springs. Really nice people, great service.

Car Steering Wholesale
1 (800) 399-7845 ext 632
Ask for Will

The following users liked this post:
Box (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy3Sticks
Box,

I suppose people will buy anything at a certain price. Based on what I have read, 100K miles is getting "out there" for an original set of air springs, but if you're in "need" and can't/won't pay up for a new OEM replacement, used parts have their place.

On a side note, Car Steering Wholesale is selling new OEM Bilstein Air Springs for $800 if you're interested. For $44 more, they will have it in your hands the next day. The local Jaguar dealer wanted $1340 plus tax for the exact same unit. Not sure if they are the same units on your '04, but they carry a vast variety of Bilstein shocks and air springs. Really nice people, great service.

Car Steering Wholesale
1 (800) 399-7845 ext 632
Ask for Will
Bilstein B4 Series Front and Rear - 44-069483 & 44-069506 respectively.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 PM

Box,

I didn't have time to check to see if they have the units you needed, but if you are in the U.S., I suggest just giving Will a call at the number listed. Very nice guy and helpful. He can check to see if they stock what you need in no time. Plus, just by calling direct, he knocked $35 off the price listed on the website.

If you are in the UK, hit up Fraser. He seems to have the "angle" across the pond.

Regards,

Jimmy3Sticks

The following users liked this post:
Box (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 04:42 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy3Sticks
Box,

I didn't have time to check to see if they have the units you needed, but if you are in the U.S., I suggest just giving Will a call at the number listed. Very nice guy and helpful. He can check to see if they stock what you need in no time. Plus, just by calling direct, he knocked $35 off the price listed on the website.

If you are in the UK, hit up Fraser. He seems to have the "angle" across the pond.

Regards,

Jimmy3Sticks

The information is well appreciated... Thanks.