XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

CAT System Fault P1111

Old 01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAT System Fault P1111

Recently I replaced the front right air string and due to difficulty in removing shock bottom mount bolt there were some hammering and banging involved. After the shock replacement, I now get “Cat System Fault” code being displayed at all times. I suspect that all the hammering may have either caused a sensor or connector become slightly loose or that the carbon deposits in the exhaust pipe loosened up and entered the Cat.
The scan tool reads code P1111 and then “System Passed” message is displayed.
Also, JTIS says no action required for this error. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after some wait does not clear this code. A search of Jaguar Forum found member Jagcure1 with exact circumstance and found connection issues with air spring electrical connector but I don’t seem to have the same cause. If any one out there who has experienced such problem and would like to share their thoughts and/or a solution on how to get rid of this error from appearing I appreciate it.

JTIS Error code P111
Description: System checks complete since last memory clear
Possible: Source: OBD monitors have completed
Action: No action necessary

Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I can't speak to the “Cat System Fault” , but the mechanic at the dealership told me to ignore P1111. I use a bluetooth odb2 device and torque with my android and P1111 is always there. I don't think the two are related.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

You are trying to read C (chassis codes) with a P (powertrain) code reader. Do you see the flaw in this equation????????

There are P codes, C codes, B codes and U codes.

The P codes are common and the others are specific.

Go to the dealer and get the proper diagnosis.

There is nothing wrong with the POWERTRAIN, You have a problem with the CHASSIS.

bob gauff

Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jag uses codes P1000 and P1111 to indicate whether or not all system checks have been performed since the last time the memory was cleared. You will always get one or the other (P1000 = not all checks have been performed, P1111 = all checks have been performed since last memory clear). They are not faults. The advice to ignore P1111 is correct. If you clear the codes, then you'll end up with a P1000 for a while until you've driven the car enough for all systems to run their checks.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by hadia
Recently I replaced the front right air string and due to difficulty in removing shock bottom mount bolt there were some hammering and banging involved. After the shock replacement, I now get “Cat System Fault” code being displayed at all times. I suspect that all the hammering may have either caused a sensor or connector become slightly loose or that the carbon deposits in the exhaust pipe loosened up and entered the Cat.
The scan tool reads code P1111 and then “System Passed” message is displayed.
Also, JTIS says no action required for this error. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after some wait does not clear this code. A search of Jaguar Forum found member Jagcure1 with exact circumstance and found connection issues with air spring electrical connector but I don’t seem to have the same cause. If any one out there who has experienced such problem and would like to share their thoughts and/or a solution on how to get rid of this error from appearing I appreciate it.

JTIS Error code P111
Description: System checks complete since last memory clear
Possible: Source: OBD monitors have completed
Action: No action necessary
You need to be sure you were VERY CAREFUL with the electrical connector at the top of the air spring. It is very easy to lay over one of the fine little terminals recessed in the top. Pull the connector out and look down in there with a light and make sure they are OK.

Cheers,

Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Thank you all for your comments. I have learned a few things searching for this issue.
Firstly, the most important is that "CAT System Fault" does not stand for Catalytic Converter problem that I though it was. It stands for "Computer Assisted Technology Suspension". Now the dots are connected!

Secondly, After realizing What the CAT stands for, I inspected the connector and it was just sitting there loose. The connector on top of the new Arnott shock does not allow the connector on the wire end to fully engage and lock in place. This may be the reason this fault was initially detected. I had to remove the little red insert from the wire connector for it to go all the way in the shock's connector side and lock in place. The JTIS says no action required for "CAT System Fault" P1111, but the annoying thing is that it does not go away and it is displayed at all times as long as the ignition is on. Lets hope that it would eventually go away on its own. Hopefully soon.

Thirdly, I have to find me a British-English to American-English dictionary!
Anytime a words such as Bonnet, Boot, Damper, etc.. appear on the screen I am like "what the heck it is that?"

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

I try to put the US terms in my posts if possible as most posters are from the US, but sometimes I am in a bit of a hurry !!

Shock absorber is used in both countries, but damper is more correct as that is its function, the spring actually takes the shock of a bump.

The worst one is hood and bonnet, because a hood in the UK is for the top of a convertible, (what is the US term ?). Of course being steeped in watching US films, I know 'hood' is also a villain.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM

I haven't own a convertible but I believe the American term for the top of the convertible is Retractable Top. There is also the term Tonneau but I am not sure of its origin.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by hadia
I haven't own a convertible but I believe the American term for the top of the convertible is Retractable Top. There is also the term Tonneau but I am not sure of its origin.
The common term is "Soft Top", since there were very few hard top convertibles back in the old days. The Tonneau is a cover for any open area on a vehicle other then the "soft top. Most commonly known today as a cover for pickup beds.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, in the USA the Hood in the Bonnet, the Trunk is the Boot (all to do with Carriages) and the Hood is a Soft Top. The Tonneau is a cover, in Jag (and most British Convertibles it the cover of the folded top (or hood), some older cars (MG's, Triumphs etc) you could get a cover that went over the entire seat area, with a zip out portion of the driver. Just to confuse us all some people refer to this cover as a boot?? Now work out wing, fender and bumper? Two nations divided by a common language! Oh and the myrrh when Brits talk about a car park, "is this where you car goes to play" Yanks use exclusively a Parking Lot and our Yard (where a Brit may work or store his Jag) is a Garden....Gardens of course grow flowers and vegetables and thus are totally unsuitable for Jag Storage. Happy Motoring.