XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

"CDC Error" today

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default "CDC Error" today

Gave the cat a nice long stretch of the legs today, around 350 miles I guess, anyway, on the way hone from Aberdeen I hit CDC wanting to have a change of music, and BAM......"CDC ERROR"

Faffed around with it on the go, switching between radio / cd and cdc, but still the issue prevailed, really annoying / frustrating last 60 miles or so.

I have had this issue some time ago, probably around 6 or 7 months maybe and a simple procedure resolved it.....that time anyway.

Cleared enough room and removed the carpeted cover, pressed eject and waited.
The cd holder immediately ejected, thank goodness.
I removed all cd's and then replaced them once more carefully, before re inserting the cassette into the magazine, then ejected and re inserted.
It's something and nothing in all honesty, took around 5 mins ( maximum )

I placed the key in the ignition and waited for the display to fire up, then pressed radio, waited a few seconds ( holding my breath...lol ) and then pressed cdc

Everything fired up, music played, all A ok
panic over..

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 11:05 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

My XJR had this exact same problem when I bought it; CDC ERROR. But in my case the CD magazine was jammed in the changer and would not come out. I pulled, and tugged and eventually yanked it out, but the magazine shattered into many little pieces. So I bought an ACM instead. True story!

JimC64 (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

This has happened to me twice.

The first time no real fault but need to eject the stacker tray, switch to radio,ign off, then on (with tray out), insert tray, cycle ign again and then switch back to cdc

Long winded cure but it works. Im think it was a really early sign of battery issues as not long after started having issues with the REM and FEM which was fixed each time by flashing modules but ultimately cured by a new battery

The second time was after a battery off to reset adaptions. Something went wrong with the CDC power-up getting a disk jammed. I had to remove the CDC and the cover to manually wind back the CD into the tray. Then manually removed the tray.
As I never use the CDC, just the ACM I leave the tray out of the CDC now to prevent the mechanical disk check on power up.

The issue with the CDC is if it fails powerup you cant access the ACM

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
anindyam (06-22-2015), Don B (06-19-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Replace your CDC with Vreffmov's Bluetooth streaming box! Problem solved.

I took my CDC out and replaced it with his box, but forgot to take out my CDs! Looks like I'm gonna have to do the manual bit like you did too.

JimC64 (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:10 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

@anindyam - just plug the CDC power connector back and press the eject button.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:48 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Same CDC error happened to me last week. Went on a long drive and was listening to CDs then after an hour of listening CD player stopped and car switched to radio. In my case though the CDC magazine will not eject when I push the eject button on the unit.

I was researching this on here and read the remove and lubricate thread. I was walking by the local Jag repair indy shop and asked about this problem and they suggested I let them remove the CDC and replace it with another used CDC unit from another X350 that has no error, rather than try to lubricate/fix the current unit. Not sure what to do.

Way back I was keen to replace the CDC with a more modern solution to play digital files from a device. Read it was hard to tap into the X350 audio system to add things. Is there a solution where one can replace the CDC with a digital audio connection (hook up iPod to listen to digital music library or something?) I used to burn CDs from my iTunes on my desktop PC and play the burned CDs in the Jag.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:17 PM

The cd-changer has lots of mechanical moving parts and over time the grease on these parts dries up. Also most of these parts are plastic, so they wear out at some point.

You have a few options:
a) get something with fm modulation - it is essentially a small radio transmitter with analog input or bluetooth to connect to your phone. You tune the radio to the transmitter frequency. These are dirt cheap, but the sound quality is so so. There is virtually no installation - it usually plugs in a cigarette lighter socket for power and that is it.
b) get an ACM from Jaguar - this allows you to connect a USB stick or a media player with USB port or just anything with analog audio output. It emulates a CD-changer. Sound quality should be excellent, but it does cost quite a bit ($500-$700+). Also the installation is not exactly walk in the park - you have to remove the center console.
c) there is a contraption I'm working on (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...3/#post1231364). It is something akin the ACM, but it connects via bluetooth instead of a cable and the install is a bit easier - just replace the cd-changer in the trunk.

BrentGardner (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by veffremov
@anindyam - just plug the CDC power connector back and press the eject button.
Yeah - I tried that and the cartridge is stuck.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:51 PM

One other question: on my X350 (2005 VDP) the audio booklet says that the rear seat armrest audio controls include two AUX inputs. The booklet goes on to say that it is possible for a rear seat passenger to plug in an external audio device (portable CD player, etc) into these audio L and R plugs, and either listen to the device via headphones, OR play it through the car speakers. So, could one with an adapter plug a digital music device into the car's speakers using this rear seat audio input?

I have no need for a portable CD player tied in through the rear armrest as my in-dash single disc player still works, it is the CDC in the trunk that has the error. However, if it were possible to plug a digital music player into that rear seat AUX audio input, that would be useful, whether or not my CDC was fixed or not.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:06 PM

Yes if you have the rear multimedia console, you can use the aux-inputs. The only small annoyance is that the aux input can only be selected from the rear controls.

BrentGardner (06-23-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:15 PM

Had the car in for service at my local indy. They swapped out the broken CD changer for a used unit that came off an XJ8 being parted out. Cost me $300 incl labour. Works fine. My CD cassette with discs was transferred to the new player.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Default "CDC Error" today

Originally Posted by BrentGardner
Had the car in for service at my local indy. They swapped out the broken CD changer for a used unit that came off an XJ8 being parted out. Cost me $300 incl labour. Works fine. My CD cassette with discs was transferred to the new player.
You could've got @Veffremov Bluetooth box that replaces the CD CHANGER for this price. But as long as you're happy...

Old 08-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

I play my Sansa Clip through the rear audio panel--all you need is a USB to RCA cable to connect.With the right length cable I have the Clip in the centre console.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:31 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Seems to be conmon enough. I have had it on both cars at times, usually in tande with the magazine getting one tray stuck engaged and had to move it with a sharp blade half a mil at a time, back into the magazine. The usually an eject/insert cycle or two and tada, all good. Not this last time. I went to a constant CDC error. I have Ben Wilcox's aux-in modification to my head unit so I rarely use the changer anyway, so I let it be, trying it a few times with no change (pun semi-intended). Then after a few months I Just gave it a whirl, and it went ahead and DID a whirl and it's working flawlessly again. I wish I could point to some particular procedure or fix, other that luck of the draw, but nope.

I was afraid to change disks, lol. Then I realized I had to find out somehow, and yep, changes disks like a champ. Do I trust it to stay that way? Not remotely, But I may pick up a spare changer when I see a good deal - they usually run 50-150 and the same units are in XK's, S-Type, X-type and probably early XF? Just check its the same hardware unit and grab a backup.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Marque
You could've got @Veffremov Bluetooth box that replaces the CD CHANGER for this price. But as long as you're happy...
how does one buy one of these boxes?