XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus(Grand Touring All-Season)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:42 PM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus(Grand Touring All-Season)

This is a new tire from Pirelli that I'm thinking of getting for my 2008 XJ. I was very happy with the Pirelli P6's that were OEM (contrary to the many posts here otherwise). BTW, my number one priority is low noise and a comfortable ride. The current P6 tires are now six years old and only have 14.5 thousand miles but I don't want to take a risk of having them fail on the highway. I'm looking for someone who has put them on their XJ or any other thoughts on these.

Link for more info: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....SPXL&tab=Sizes

Last edited by XJL; 04-06-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

XJL, I almost went with these myself. I was down to these or the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus. I went with the Conti's, mainly because they were cheaper and they had a great rebate offer

They also had a lot more miles and reviews, since the Pirelli's are just recently out, not nearly as much feedback. My observation is that when a new tire comes on the market, the initial reviews are all rave...then after time the full picture comes out; I didn't want to take a chance.

Happy with the Conti's, had to get them rebalanced, a weight came off two of the rims! It now rides like a jag should, tire noise from the OE conti's is gone.

The following 2 users liked this post by rosskuhns:
Thermite (04-13-2014), XJL (04-10-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

We put these on my father's Lexus gs 350 f sport. Very fragile sidewall, he's three of them blow this winter

The following users liked this post:
XJL (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put these, very recently, on my car. Mostly based on the reviews I read on tirerack.com so far I love them. Quite, and very smooth. I'm a mechanic at a dealership, my experience with continentals in general is pretty hit or miss.

XJL (04-10-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 11:30 PM
XJL

Originally Posted by macjazzy
I put these, very recently, on my car. Mostly based on the reviews I read on tirerack.com so far I love them. Quite, and very smooth. I'm a mechanic at a dealership, my experience with continentals in general is pretty hit or miss.

What tires did you have on the car previously?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Rosskuhns, I have the OE Conti's and I am looking at replacing them in the near future and hate the tire noise, you say the new ones are quite?

Old 04-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

They are quiet clam digger. I too had a 2nd set of the OE conti's on my car and they did get noisy as they approached the wear bars.
These are not the same tires, look at tire rack and continental sells a whole slew of different types of conti's. It's almost mind boggling.
My experience is that, like cars, tire makers have become hugely diverse, you can't say 'oh, that brand is bad' as almost all of them (in the mainstream) make both good and bad products, you have to look at them on an individual level.

As I said, the Pirelli's looked good but the jury it still out on them for me. I've had both good and bad Pirelli's myself. I liked my conti's because they had lots of miles and reviews on them, and decent snow reviews if I come across any.

Clamdigger (04-13-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 PM
XJL

I ordered the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires today and they will be installed next weekend. Everything I've read indicated this is the tire to get for those interested in maximum ride comfort and minimum noise.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 AM
XJL

I got the tires installed today and after driving for 10 minutes the tire pressure monitor system fault error code pops up on the display. According to the tire shop this is normal and will clear out after driving for 30 minutes.

Anyone else have this issue after getting new tires installed?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they put the wheels back in different places on the car it will have to be driven for a little bit before they learn their new locations, but if they should do that within about 30 minutes or less of steady driving. If they don't the tire shop could have damaged the sensor when the dismounted the old tires.

I had Continentals on my car before, but I don't know specifically which model, they had a pronounced thump to them when driving. Worse when cold, but still noticeable after they warmed up. The were not totally worn out when I changed them, but getting close to the wear bars. I decided to change them out when driving in a hard rain and could feel them hydroplaning a few times at highway speeds. That will make you pucker!

Old 09-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Looking for additional reviews of the Pirelli P7, especially long term

Very curious to hear more any other experiences with the new Pirelli Cinturato P7.

I've been reading the rave reviews as well for this tire, but also agree that with it being so new I suspect the reviews are a bit skewed as the sample is relatively small and not a lot of time/miles have been logged as compared to others that have been on the market for a while.

I am thinking about putting these on my 97 X300 XJR, which OEM calls for 255-45/17, but the P7 is only available in 245-50/17 which is very close in diameter. In fact, the 245-50/17 is the size on the equivalently sized rim on the XKE of the same year, so it should work out fine.

The P7 seems to offer a lot better all-around 'grand touring' all season performance, and as the real bonus, reasonable tread life. Almost all of the 255 sizes available do not last very long, and I put too many miles on a car to have to change out tires every year or two.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences and especially longer term observations with the P7.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Tire

I originally put the P7s on my 05 XJ8L in January 2014. I'm just now replacing them, put 50,000 miles on them (granted, they are bald in the middle of the tread pattern right now, 2/32 on the outside).

Great tire, quiet, and the 700 tread rating is what was the main seller for me.

BTW, I'm thinking about replacing these 255 40 19s with 255 45 19s (hopefully a little better ride with the higher profile tire). Any thoughts on this? I know the speedo will be off a little, but is also off when you eventually wear off 10/32 of tread like I do

Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggs02jrt
BTW, I'm thinking about replacing these 255 40 19s with 255 45 19s (hopefully a little better ride with the higher profile tire). Any thoughts on this? I know the speedo will be off a little, but is also off when you eventually wear off 10/32 of tread like I do
I am currently riding 255/40 R20's instead of 225/35 R20's normal fiment with my 20" wheels.
Speedo reading is actually near perfect according to the GPS (more accurate than the normal fitment, which is wrong by 3%).
Comfort is probably improved (can't say more, I bought the car with that fitment) and steering maybe a bit heavier, but the rims are also certainly more protected regarding potholes.
However, such a fitment is not "legal" and may cause issues wrt to insurance companies in case of accidents, and is not acceptable for MOT.
So that I am considering coming back to the normal fitment when the tyres are worn out.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

I'll be placing a set of P Zero All Season Plus on mine in the coming month. Lateral G-force better than .91 and wet stopping distance is better than 1/3 shorter (100 feet rather than 150 feet) than Cinturato. You get this at the cost of UTQG of 500 rather than 700, but a more aggressive feel. The General AltiMAX RT43, which I have talked about in other threads still continues to outperform the Cinturato in that category, especially in the rain, and cost 1/3 less. For me, I'm going to move to the ultra high performance all-season category for this summer season.

Last edited by Box; 01-29-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Box
The General AltiMAX RT43, which I have talked about in other threads still continues to outperform the Cinturato in that category, especially in the rain, and cost 1/3 less. For me, I'm going to move to the ultra high performance all-season category for this summer season.

Tirerack user ratings show the P7 Plus far ahead of the Altimax in everything, but the price is good.

I just pulled the trigger on a couple of P7 pluses with the 45 profile (instead of 40), $175 each delivered. I'll check back with an update in the coming months, if not earlier.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I put two Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires on the front of our 06 SV8 4500 miles ago last April to replace two worn out mixed brand tires that were on it when I bought it. They were $488 from Tire Rack including shipping. I bought the Pirellis because they have a 700 wear rating VS 500 for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s that were/are on the rear, and several folks on the forum had good things to say about the quietness and ride of these tires as well as tread life; I plan to buy two more Pirelli P7s when the Michelins wear down so it will have a matching set. The only negative comments about Pirellis is that they can suffer side wall damage from pot holes, so the Tire Rack 24 month warranty was a plus.

We are happy with the Pirellis and have had no problems with them, while the Michelins have been repaired several times for picking up screws causing slow leaks. Not sure why just the rears picked up the screws, but I had to have one repaired twice because they missed a second screw the first time. I am a pretty sedate driver so tread life and comfort were the deciding factors for me and so far so good.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggs02jrt
Tirerack user ratings show the P7 Plus far ahead of the Altimax in everything, but the price is good.

I just pulled the trigger on a couple of P7 pluses with the 45 profile (instead of 40), $175 each delivered. I'll check back with an update in the coming months, if not earlier.
User ratings are one thing, track performance is another. Most folks don't know the General brand as well as the Pirelli, but having used them myself, I can attest to them. If you actually look at the test results, and the vids TireRack has, you'll see what I'm saying. Overall the AltiMAX rates a 7.42, and the P7 is 7.30. Dry, wet and lap times the AltiMax performed better than the P7.

Tire Test Results : The Sporty Side of Comfort: Testing the Newest Grand Touring All-Season Tires

Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

For those running the P7s, how are they holding up? I've got about 25k miles on mine with about 8mm of tread left (according to Firestone). My ride quality has gotten very harsh and handling is mushy. Everything in my suspension is practically brand new and has been double checked by professionals so I'm suspecting the tires are reaching end-of-life.