XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Replacing Engine ECU (PCM)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 03:45 AM
Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Replacing Engine ECU (PCM)

Good Morning fellow owners,

Without going into details I am in the position where I have to replace the Engine ECU (PCM or ECM) with a secondhand unit from a virtually identical vehicle. I have the VIN No of the car from which it came but am hoping that another member can advise me of the correct way to carry out the job using SDD/IDS. I believe that I will have to go through the 'immobilisation' process - but exactly what does that involve ?? Do I start off by putting the donor VIN No. into the diagnostics, or the vehicle Vin and then program as a replacement ECM/PCM ?? etc. What I don't want to do is go through the process and end up with a non-start situation.

Any advice would be welcome. Many Thanks.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Great question, wish i knew the answer, to this one, as well as a lot of others. This flash, & reflash stuff, seems as if it really should not be necessary. But just another attempt by the factory, to separate me from my money. The more i learn the less i have to pay to a point Keep on hunting

Old 07-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Having the tools is one thing and I'm glad you realize the hazards of doing this.

Here is a quote from Jaguar Tech-Tips.......

"2004 XJ Control Module Replacement / Programming

Information: Before attempting to reconfigure and/or replace any control modules, it is recommended to perform a VID Block Data Read and save to disc. This will ensure that if the VID block becomes corrupt, the original VID block can be uploaded back into vehicle and correct any configuration errors which may occur from choosing incorrect options and/or features when programming CMs."

And this........................

Jaguar 32-bit ECM recovery procedure
2002-on X-TYPE, 2003-on S-TYPE, 2004-on XJ, 2003-on XK
In the event communications to the Engine Control Module (ECM) cannot be established or an error occurred
during programming and the ECM will no longer communicate with the WDS,
DO NOT replace the ECM.

Perform the ECM rectification procedure that will 'unlock' the ECM and will restore communications. Before continuing, have WDS in the docking station, the docking station plugged in and a battery charger on the car's battery.

1. Start programming the ECM as an existing module using the WDS.
During the reprogramming process, the screen in figure 1 will appear.

2. Disconnect the negative battery lead and press 'YES" on the
WDS screen as shown in figure 2.

3. Reconnect and tighten negative battery terminal and then press
'YES' to continue.

4. NOTE: Be aware of the time requirements of this portion of the
procedure (10 seconds). A helper may be required to perform correctly. Press
tick on WDS, wait 2 seconds, then switch ignition on. WDS will
recover and then reprogram ECM.

Here are some TSBs and info on what you want to do.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1-186 VID block.pdf (198.7 KB, 570 views)
File Type: pdf
SDD BEST PRACTICE.pdf (87.1 KB, 531 views)
The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-24-2019)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:02 PM

Thank you 'Wingrider' and 'Motorcarman' for your replies - really appreciated. Couldn't agree more with 'Wingrider's ' comments - manufacturers seem to be making it increasingly difficult for anyone, other than main dealers, to maintain these modern cars (I'd much rather spend my time tuning a pair of SU carbs).

Thank you 'Motorcarman' for those links - that'll keep me occupied this evening !!

The reason I need (or am considering) replacing the PCM with a used unit is down to the failure of the Adaptive Cruise Control module. Mine is an early version which are like hens teeth secondhand (and almost £2000 new !!). Its been checked over and is not repairable. Unfortunately, when the ACC fails it renders normal cruise control inoperative as well (with the message being constantly displayed on dash). I've tried using IDS to manually change the 'as-built' spec (to ordinary speed control) but without success, hence my latest possible plan.

Obviously the Jaguar bulletins relate to replacement 'new' modules NOT
used ones.

If I fit a used PCM and type in the donor cars VIN number at the start of the program can I then simply choose to configure the PATS ID (as a new module) ?? Does anyone know.

I Just want my normal cruise control to work. Cheers everyone.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figured out how to program the ECU? I have to do it on my 2004 XJ8 because there was a short in the system and now the reverse lights are on even when the car is not running. I have a used ECU and everything works fine, except it won’t run. The immobilizer won’t let the car run for more than 2 seconds.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:29 AM

Hi from sunny England (NOT !)

Yes I did eventually resolve the issue. Fortunately I Have the Jaguar IDS/SDD programme and cable - you'll need these without doubt. From memory I had to drop the steering column to obtain a serial number to enter within the relevant part of the SDD programme (I believe that was the immobiliser number). It cannot be done without the IDS/SDD programme. Good luck

The following 3 users liked this post by CaptainQ:
Datsports (03-25-2019), dharry078 (05-06-2019), Don B (03-24-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:32 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Lerimer Francisco Santana
Did you ever figured out how to program the ECU? I have to do it on my 2004 XJ8 because there was a short in the system and now the reverse lights are on even when the car is not running. I have a used ECU and everything works fine, except it won’t run. The immobilizer won’t let the car run for more than 2 seconds.
Sounds more like a problem with the Rear Electronic Module, not the Powertrain Control Module...

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
Datsports (03-25-2019), Don B (03-24-2019), motorcarman (03-16-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 05:50 AM
Thumbs up Hello from sunny Tampa, Florida USA

Originally Posted by CaptainQ

Yes I did eventually resolve the issue. Fortunately I Have the Jaguar IDS/SDD programme and cable - you'll need these without doubt. From memory I had to drop the steering column to obtain a serial number to enter within the relevant part of the SDD programme (I believe that was the immobiliser number). It cannot be done without the IDS/SDD programme. Good luck
Thanks for the quick reply!!! I ordered the SDD software along with the cable. It should be here in a weeks time. I will look for instructions on how to drop the steering column to get access to the serial number. Thanks a lot for your help!!!!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainQ

Hi,
Seems I have to go through the same process out. Which MY was(is) your car? Which ECU number you used from donor car? I'm experiencing the same adaptive cruise problems My ECU is 2W93-10K975-EF and its suffered from well known water ingress.. now I have faults which can not be erased in addition to ACC problem. I appreciate for detailed steps. The car is old but gold for me.. don't want to leave it)

Old 03-18-2019, 04:53 AM

Hi there, I had a problem with my 2000 Jaguar XJR, The result of the OBD need to replace the ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE. The module is in the trunk. Tnx and hope to answer my question.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:00 PM

I dropped my steering column but still cant find the serial number. There is a sticker on the column itself, but I think its just the part number

Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Tech Tips info from 2002 JUNE, the info was sent to us for the IP or STEERING COLUMN configuration.

"S-TYPE – 2003 MY – Steering Column Programming
Symptom: Steering column movement is incorrect
Programming Information: When servicing either an instrument cluster (IC) or a steering column, it
will be necessary to setup the steering column to achieve the correct column movement. The IC will
have to be reconfigured as new, and WDS will require you to enter 8 digits of an 11-digit code found
on a label affixed to the top of the steering column support bracket. The column will need to be
lowered from its four mounting bolts to access the label. You will need to disregard the first two digits
and the last digit of the eleven-digit number, and then use the eight digits that are left."

Some people just entered a 'generic' 8 digit code and the configuration would not always be correct. We were warned to enter the correct numbers.

Maybe this is what you are referring to?? The X350 is a similar vehicle.

bob

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Datsports (03-25-2019), dharry078 (05-06-2019), Don B (03-24-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

I dropped my steering column but still cant find the serial number. There is a sticker on the column itself, but I think its just the part number

it looks like you have , but i hope you did not miss the advice given by Cambo in post #7.
the reverse lights are switched via the RECM rear electronics control module .not the ECM/PCM .
its in the boot/trunk . you don't need the column no# to program it . some times second hand ones don't need
reprogramming if your lucky .

Last edited by Datsports; 03-25-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 PM
Default I'm going crazy here!!!! :'(

Originally Posted by Datsports
it looks like you have , but i hope you did not miss the advice given by Cambo in post #7.
the reverse lights are switched via the RECM rear electronics control module .not the ECM/PCM .
its in the boot/trunk . you don't need the column no# to program it . some times second hand ones don't need
reprogramming if your lucky .
The RECM that's in the boot/Trunk has a sticker on it that labels it as the rear ECU. It is, in fact, the one I've been talking about the whole time. After installing the new one to the car, it now won't start. It'll turn over and start for 2 or 3 seconds and die. If I install the original one it'll start and run no problem. The problem I have is that after a failed attempt to program the new RECM by a euro tech mechanic, "he ended up frying the new RECM"... I found a place online that would repair damaged ECU's and RECM's so I decided to send the original one for repair. After doing so, they claimed that it was irreparable and send me a replacement RECM which still will not start the car. They kept the original one and now I have no way of getting the car to start. I even went to my local Jaguar dealer and they don't want to touch the car since its pre 2010 and claim their current equipment won't work with my vehicle. So I decided to buy a Mangoose and the JLR SDD to see if I could do it myself. After installing everything I cant seem to get the SDD program to connect to the RECM. When I scan the car the REM has a big red X on it. If I try to reprogram it even with the X on it I get the error "Communication failure [8203] Rear electronic control module," and "The module has denied secure access [11]. I did read somewhere that the way to program the new one is to start the SDD program with no RECM installed and after only selecting to "program the RECM" to install it to the car. I have not done this yet. I will try tomorrow and see if it programs.

Any help will greatly be appreciated, I'm going crazy trying to get this car to run again!!!

Old 03-31-2019, 08:13 AM
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Any help will greatly be appreciated, I'm going crazy trying to get this car to run again!!!
This thread is about ENGINE control unit that is why you've been misunderstood by others. ECU acr. always states for Engine and only.

I would start with diagnostic with original IDS/SDD. Better I would search for JLR Electrician/Diagnostician indie or dealer (Land Rover guys is also Ok) or trying by yourself (if you really can't reach any decent shop around) in accordance with Workshop Manual going through detailed step by step procedures related to existing DTCs. You just can have blown fuse or lost ground or something not criminal as you don't have power on REM.. anyway start with diagnostic suggested before messing with modules swapping until you find a true cause.

Info:

Jaguar XJ8 XJR 2004 Newer Electrical & OBDII Codes
X350 Workshop manual .pdf version
X350 Workshop manual on-line version

PS I would cut and paste this deviation to relative thread in order not to confuse others in future

Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get this figured out yet? The RECM isnt plug and play. The car will not start until you program the module to the car. The dealer should have no problem doing this. Im an independent repair shop I have done this with my Autologic unit.