XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Returns to RockAuto

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Angry Returns to RockAuto

I have had great luck with RockAuto as far as buying parts. But when it comes to solving a problem with a part that is junk when it is received that is exactly the opposite. I received an email with instructions to go to a page to log in with my email address and the order number. It brings up the order fine. I then click on "order status and returns" . That takes me back to the previous page where I just came from. Loop after loop with no way that I can find to contact someone about this junk I just received.

I have tried every way to communicate with them (no phone number available) with no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 03-09-2018, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Maybe try clearing the cache and cookies in your browser? Rockauto used to be great when they had people you could talk to, they were always very helpful.

The following users liked this post:
EZDriver (03-09-2018)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:46 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Try logging in with a different browser, and not clicking the link in the email. put the address in the address bar.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I've only had rare occasion to return stuff to them; An S-type DCCV that was defective after 2 weeks use comes to mind. Think I may've had a drive belt that didn't fit the specified application once; that's all I can remember. No problem at all either time.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I had to return a 'core' and once I had a faulty part.
I called customer service.
1-866-762-5288

bob

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (03-14-2018), MountainMan (04-01-2018), StuG (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi EZDriver,

I've returned several cores and parts to Rock Auto and never had a problem. Try this:

Visit rockauto.com;

A list of orders will appear at the left edge of the page;

Click on the order that contained the part you want to return;

The order will open, and to the right of each part is a button labeled "Arrange a Return / Report a Problem." Click the button and answer several questions and depending on the reason for the return, Rock Auto will either pay for return shipping, split the cost with you, or ask you to pay the cost. Regardless of who pays for shipping, they can provide a shipping label at a discounted rate and if you're paying the shipping or splitting the cost, they will just deduct the appropriate amount from your refund.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (04-01-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks Don,

You are more help than that darn web site. There is not even a place that I can find where I can get a phone number. One of the other members gave me the number. i will file that for future use. They sure don't want to talk to you.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

They used to have a phone number, and that's gone now.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

My experience as an international customer is that if you buy from RockAuto's online store, they want subsequent enquiries to go through their automated enquiry/complaint system. If tracking fails to update and you wonder where your parcel is, customer services will ask you to wait till the longest indicative timing of delivery has lapsed before filing an enquiry or complaint. If you want to return a purchase, you have to follow detailed instructions published on their website, download a commercial invoice with original order number and other details, mailing labels, provide a return tracking number, etc. Looks like they have handled many previous returns and hence have introduced very detailed steps so people do it right rather than regret later. Can't blame them as they are such a huge retailer of car parts so if there is a customer service hotline it will be busy all the time and would be counter-productive....

I have had several good experiences buying from them before, only let down recently because of overly long delivery and unhelpful customer services. It took 20 days for an item to reach me in Hong Kong, tracking was only good for the first 8 days, and I was educated to learn DHL has a cheap substitute called "DHL Global DHL eCommerce" and delivery up to 16 business days (weekend and public holidays excluded) is normal. DHL customer services cannot track an item shipped by DHL Global and they pass you on to DHL Global only to say sorry, it is "consolidated shipment" so tracking cannot be made on individual parcel. My item eventually arrived through the Hong Kong Post Office (I now get it, the delivery started with DHL US, it took 8 days for the items to go from the US to Germany, where the item merged with other items going to Asia and hence lost it individual tracking identity. It took another 12 days to reach Hong Kong and was delivered to me through the Hong Kong Post Office. DHL was only the first leg, and where tracking ends at the central processing depot.

The answer I got from RockAuto Customer Services was, "sorry you picked the slowest delivery method" They even showed me the screen shot from the original purchase.

However, I thought why should I pick Priority Mail and pay $14 extra (50% more) only with the worst case scenario taking 16 business days to arrive, even 1 day slower than by international economy mail? Anyhow, I pleaded guilty; it was my choice. Case closed.

Last edited by Qvhk; 03-26-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Don B (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

For RockAuto international shipping I only go one of 2 ways: Consolidated when I'm not in a rush, or FedEx when I am. Nothing in-between is worth bothering about.

Don B (03-26-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
For RockAuto international shipping I only go one of 2 ways: Consolidated when I'm not in a rush, or FedEx when I am. Nothing in-between is worth bothering about.
Ditto; I picked economy shipping last few times and didn't have any problem; it was generally 10 days on all occasions, although tracking was only good up to a point. Perhaps RockAuto rarely sells to Asia, and in all fairness to RockAuto, on this occasion it was DHL that was messing up.