XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

security system and misc

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default security system and misc

hey there jag comunity,

I got a few issues i have not managed to fix and maybe some expert here can shine some light for me.
the security system on my 1997 XJ6L is simply non operational. the car is US spec so has no immobilizer or intrusion sensors or hood intrusion. the keyfob wont program, the central lock button has always ON red led and no action when pressing the button, the boot/trunk buttons on the facia and exterior wont work, pressing the valet button seems to not do anything. all doors lock and unlock from driver door with key or by manually locking/unlocking driver door. thats about the only feature that works that i think is part of the security module.

i have removed the security module and inspected visually and looks like new. no fould smells nothing that looks damaged. i have cheked the boot/trunk release relay and using a jumper on it the boot/trunk unlocks. there is also power on the corresponding conections for the relay.
i have the rear left door not knowing when its opened. i know this cause i checked all doors and the only door that did not turn on the interior lights was the rear left one. also opening the trunk doesnt turn on interior lights only trunk lights turn on( dont know if thats normal.

ive had to unplug the locking mechanism for the gas fill door. when testing the relay and using jumper i noticed the motor is stuck and caused a nice spark when doing the jumper. so i tought this could be disabling the security system to prevent damage but that wasnt the case.

im wondering if the problem could be with the left rear door and where in the door is the electronic part that detects when its opened or closed? if i found the part cant be fixed, how can I make it think its always closed. altho thats probably what its doing now since the interior lights dont turn on.

so im unsure if im having a single problem or multiple problems here. alarm,keyfob,valet,trunk unlock buttons, central lock.

Id like to test all connections on the security module but seems that information is a well kept secret.

im in puertorico and cant find a junkyard that has one of this jags so i can swap and test the module. and dont want to purchase a module to find out the expensive way that it is not the problem.

im hoping someone knows what could be happening by reading the symptoms described. or facilitate me with all the security module data so i can try to diagnose and fix the problem.

feel free to ask any question if it might help find the problem here.

thanks!!

a shot of the module if that helps.

Attached Thumbnails security system and misc-20130523100750.jpg  

Last edited by avioni; 05-25-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 AM

another question, does the boot/trunk use two switches? one for powering the interior boot/trunk lights and one for letting the system know its closed? thinking if it has two switches then one is bad and would explain why the facia and external opening buttons wont do anything if it doesnt know the boot is closed.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:38 AM

something else. i found this:

but on mine all doors lock - unlock instantly when turning key in driver door. closing it and holding for 1 1/2 seconds closes all windows normally. but the opening locks is instant and doesnt require me to hold the key 1 1/2 seconds to open all locks.

Attached Thumbnails security system and misc-27614906.jpg  

Last edited by avioni; 05-25-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The Security Module isn't a regular issue. Are you absolutely certain the Fob is emitting a signal?

Apart from dealer enabled/disabled options such as 'universal locking' from the handbook section in your post, there's always the possibility the PO has had issues and done something to disable the system.

Details on the security system aren't too easy to find but the schematics are in Jaguar Sedan Range 1996 Electrical Guide (publication JTP 508). I can scan them as PDF's if you don't have the guide.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 05-25-2013 at 03:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
avioni (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

My ideas for you:

I understand your trunk lights are working. But do we know for sure that they are going out when the trunk lid is closed? The trunk latch has one switch only.

An earlier thread regarding trunk lighting, alarm system etc:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...release-89326/

The missing trunk switch was keeping my car stuck in valet mode, so I couldn't program the fob and the release wouldn't work. I found that when I tied the two switch wires together, the trunk lights came on. Separating them again, the trunk lights went off, and also signaled the modules that the trunk was closed. This eventually allowed me to program the fob.

Each door has microswitch in the latch. If interior lights don't come on when left rear is opened, the modules might think the door is closed anyway, no issue. Or, they might have an open circuit there, preventing the alarm from working!

Does your fob have the correct 2 batteries (CR2016 x 2)?

The following users liked this post:
avioni (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 02:34 PM

yes keyfob works both buttons red and green flash repeatedly when the buttons are pressed. the batteries are new it was the first thing i changed for testing. ill see if theres a way to see if the trunk lights are turning off when boot is closed.
I found a diagnostic procedure test for the security system. but im a bit confused on how to do the tests.

it tells me to check terminal X on the module for X door but dont know what im supposed to be testing there. ground? positive? or other signal? it goes on like this with all the security parts of the car.

ill check the trunk switch first and valet switch for continuity and report back. thanks to both of you.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 PM

Well both the boot switch and valet switch are working. Bootlights turn off when I use a screwdriver to close the latch and the valet switch has continuity when pressed. The instrument panel also shows the boot open light when boot is opened. So I can eliminate those two posible issues. Would I still need to test the wires on the boot hinge? What else can I chek here.
The alarm wont go into learning mode. There is not a single sign of the alarm doing anything with sound or lights.

Last edited by avioni; 05-25-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:15 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

A working valet switch is good news as you won't get into program mode without it. What sequence are you using to try to get into program (learning) mode?

Graham

Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM

open door with key put ignition into position 2 wait for check engine light to turn off, toggle valet button 5 times and press the big red led button on the keyfob. tryd both with boot opened and boot closed.

i got this from the net. i dont know what it refers to by CHECK the following inputs. check them how? im thinking it should be ground signals but not sure.

Attached Thumbnails security system and misc-diagnostic.jpg  

Last edited by avioni; 05-25-2013 at 08:55 PM.