Well, i pulled the trigger, picking up my new to me 97 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well, i pulled the trigger, picking up my new to me 97 XJR

Well, i pulled the trigger...

I have a deal made to pick up my new to me, 1997 XJR6 this
Saturday morning...

Black on Black 144k, slight damage on the hood and LF fender, the rest of the car seems very straight and clean with no rust issues...

Cold AC, and everything works but the clock, the typical broken cup holder door, and the sycronizer adjustment for the roof so it stops in the right places, guess you have to dick with the button to get it just right on opening and closing....

The interior seems real nice, drivers seat in great shape etc..

The owner told me that in the summer or warmer days it takes 8-10 seconds to fire up, and on cold days it fires right away, but always fires..no outright no-starts... and it has NO engine codes or check engine/warning lights on.. that made me happy too...

New rubber bout 1500 miles ago....

Lookin forward to Andy's remapping and the bigger crank shaft S/C pulley, as well as a performance exaust....

Lookin to make it a bad *** 6 banger ...

the present owner took it to the local jag dealer and got a "to do " estimate...needs shocks in the front and sway bar links, all small stuff really...

He put all 6 NEW coil packs on it with new plugs and has been using it as a daily driver since last august...

Oil changes with synthetic since he has had it etc....

Its a little bit of a project but it looks like a real good platform to start with...

I will try to post a few pics in a moment...

I'm pumped to move into the X3 chassis, even though i love my series III's....

and i still think i'm gonna buy an XJR8 sometime later this summer when the right deal comes up...

Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM

And look to the right of the dress in the picture as lon as it snuck in there

Its quite amusing

Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats on the XJR AND on the friendly mirror! LOL

The following users liked this post:
GerryXJR (02-13-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks and your welcome

Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Congrats and good luck on the XJR :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by GerryXJR
Well, i pulled the trigger...

I have a deal made to pick up my new to me, 1997 XJR6 this
Saturday morning...

Black on Black 144k, slight damage on the hood and LF fender, the rest of the car seems very straight and clean with no rust issues...

Cold AC, and everything works but the clock, the typical broken cup holder door, and the sycronizer adjustment for the roof so it stops in the right places, guess you have to dick with the button to get it just right on opening and closing....

The interior seems real nice, drivers seat in great shape etc..

The owner told me that in the summer or warmer days it takes 8-10 seconds to fire up, and on cold days it fires right away, but always fires..no outright no-starts... and it has NO engine codes or check engine/warning lights on.. that made me happy too...

New rubber bout 1500 miles ago....

Lookin forward to Andy's remapping and the bigger crank shaft S/C pulley, as well as a performance exaust....

Lookin to make it a bad *** 6 banger ...

the present owner took it to the local jag dealer and got a "to do " estimate...needs shocks in the front and sway bar links, all small stuff really...

He put all 6 NEW coil packs on it with new plugs and has been using it as a daily driver since last august...

Oil changes with synthetic since he has had it etc....

Its a little bit of a project but it looks like a real good platform to start with...

I will try to post a few pics in a moment...

I'm pumped to move into the X3 chassis, even though i love my series III's....

and i still think i'm gonna buy an XJR8 sometime later this summer when the right deal comes up...

Congrats, welcome and enjoy. You say the previous owner changed the plugs? It might be worth looking to see what type he put into it, as these cars seem to react oddly to various plug types. Might explain the slow start in warmer weather?

paulZ (02-18-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sogood
Congrats, welcome and enjoy. You say the previous owner changed the plugs? It might be worth looking to see what type he put into it, as these cars seem to react oddly to various plug types. Might explain the slow start in warmer weather?

I've always wondered about this. That is, "Why?"

I've used both NGK Iridiums and garden-variety Champions (in two different heat ranges) in my XJR and never felt any difference at all. Yet others report quite the opposite. What variables are at play here?

I wonder if it has something to do with the condition of the coils?

Just pondering :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Shirley you've got to suspect the engine temp sensor? Remarkably similar symptoms to mine & that solved it... cheap and easy fix too!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Default mods

from your post you seem eager to get as much get up and go out of your xjr6, most of us are the same. I have tried alot of mods and variations and for what it is worth you will very happy with the following:1) the andy bracket to advance timing 2) get rid of the intake air box for a better set up 3) a true dual exhaust system 4) and a better intercooler pump. At this point you will be REALLY HAPPY. But then, should you desire more. 5) Magnum powers upgraded sc plate, more boost and lower iat, dont port the sc case leave it stock and only upgrade the sc plate. I love this mod. At this point REALLY REALLY HAPPY. The last two mods I have yet do do, because my car is silly fast already, but give me a year and this will be done. 6) change your diff for a regular xj6 model 3.58 ratio. make sure its locking diff and last but not least 7) larger sc pulley. I tried the ported tb but was not happy with control and performance down low, wot was fine if your looking for all out raw speed but stock tb is my preference. My 2cents

Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jeremiahjaguar
from your post you seem eager to get as much get up and go out of your xjr6, most of us are the same. I have tried alot of mods and variations and for what it is worth you will very happy with the following:1) the andy bracket to advance timing 2) get rid of the intake air box for a better set up 3) a true dual exhaust system 4) and a better intercooler pump. At this point you will be REALLY HAPPY. But then, should you desire more. 5) Magnum powers upgraded sc plate, more boost and lower iat, dont port the sc case leave it stock and only upgrade the sc plate. I love this mod. At this point REALLY REALLY HAPPY. The last two mods I have yet do do, because my car is silly fast already, but give me a year and this will be done. 6) change your diff for a regular xj6 model 3.58 ratio. make sure its locking diff and last but not least 7) larger sc pulley. I tried the ported tb but was not happy with control and performance down low, wot was fine if your looking for all out raw speed but stock tb is my preference. My 2cents

Thanks Jer, i plan on all of the above...think i'm gonna go the mapping route on the ECU...rather than the braket, as i have read some of Andys posts and it seems with mapping you might not need the braket...

I havent had a chance to shop or look at available exhaust systems yet..

i was hoping flowmaster or borla, but there are probably better out there i just dont know yet,

What are your guys suggestions for exhaust?

I plan on canging the whole timing chain assbly complete primary and secondary's guides etc...the whole deal first....

Do the paintwork it needs from the dings and dongs, and go through the suspnsion front and rear ... change out whatever it needs...

then onto the HP upgrades.....

I'm curious what kind of 1/4 mile times i will be able to pull out of this with the mods you have listed above.....

also curious with the gear change to 3.58's how much fuel economy you will lose ? Andy said you can gain like 2MPG with the mapping...so if i lose 2MPG with the gear ratio, then i think it would be a perfect wash...

I would love to increase the performance and maintian the stock fuel economy...and also retain some degree of reliability, as i will be driving this pretty much daily.....that would be kick ***..

Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GerryXJR

I havent had a chance to shop or look at available exhaust systems yet..

i was hoping flowmaster or borla, but there are probably better out there i just dont know yet,

What are your guys suggestions for exhaust?

AFAIK the Mina Gallery was the only outfit offering an XJR/6 exhaust system and I recall that it was only the rear mufflers, not an entire system. Not sure if they even sell it nowdays.

I think XJR/6 owners are pretty much on their own and work with a local exhaust shop to build a system.

I've been thinking about removing the front mufflers and replacing the rear mufflers with regular XJ6 type. Might pick up 10 horsepower (??) without getting an ugly exhaust sound.

I plan on canging the whole timing chain assbly complete primary and secondary's guides etc...the whole deal first....

Why? The timing chain system is not particularly problematic on these engines

I'm curious what kind of 1/4 mile times i will be able to pull out of this with the mods you have listed above.....

When new the XJR6s ran high-14s in the quarter mile. You'll want to do before-and-after tests of course. My (wild ***) guess is a 3.58 diff and an extra 30 or so horsepower would bring it down to mid-14s

<shrug>

also curious with the gear change to 3.58's how much fuel economy you will lose ? Andy said you can gain like 2MPG with the mapping...so if i lose 2MPG with the gear ratio, then i think it would be a perfect wash...

With the timing bracket I gained 2 mpg at freeway speed and that's exactly what I lost when I went to the 3.58 diff. At 70 mph the 3.58s will increase your engine speed by about 250 RPM.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

and a better intercooler pump.

FWIW I have the Cobra pump plus I partially divorced the intercooling system from the main cooling system and added an aux fan to the intercooler radiator.

Unfortunately I didn't do any before/after performance testing or even any IAT or temp gun testing. My gut feeling is that I didn't gain any power but I reduced the inevitable heat-related power loss.

One thing's for sure: the intercooling on a whole makes a huge difference. My original intercooler pump failed (thus the Cobra replacement) and there was a pronounced power loss.

Magnum powers upgraded sc plate, more boost and lower iat, dont port the sc case leave it stock and only upgrade the sc plate. I love this mod.

I'll have to investigate this. I've heard about these plates but never researched 'em.

At this point REALLY REALLY HAPPY. The last two mods I have yet do do, because my car is silly fast already, but give me a year and this will be done. 6) change your diff for a regular xj6 model 3.58 ratio.

Worth the effort :-)

7) larger sc pulley.

Anxious to hear from anyone who has done this on an XJR/6 recently.

FWIW...A few years ago there were a couple guys who changed pulleys and were not happy, and ended up return to stock configuration. Apparently the supercharger spun up so fast that the air charge overheated very quickly....with the end result being a sudden burst of (increased) power for a 2-3 seconds followed by an actual loss of power.

<shrug>

I dunno....it's just what I heard from others. Never tried the pulley change myself. But, if they were correct (and I don't have reason to doubt them) then a seriously upgraded intercooling system might be needed to compliment the pulley change.

Did you run any before-after tests and/or acceleration runs on your car?

Cheers
DD

Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Doug,
I posted on this site about the magnum powers sc plate, with pics, hands down best mod I have done, next to the andy bracket. the larger air vents reduce iat temps as it allows trapped air to escape, this in turn requires less horse power to turn the rotors and increases the air intake by 10%. It is because of this lower iat from the plate that I feel that I may benefit from the larger sc pulley without suffering from heat soak. I will try as soon as I get my johnson ic pump replaced, waiting for it to arrive. can you please tell me how you went about placing a fan on your ic radiator, where did you hook up the power, what fan did you use, how did you secure it in place and how did you partially separate the ic coolant from the car radiator. Thank you, David

Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

can you please tell me how you went about placing a fan on your ic radiator, where did you hook up the power, what fan did you use, how did you secure it in place

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

and how did you partially separate the ic coolant from the car radiator.

I'll get back to you. I'll have to do some memory refreshing on that. It was several years ago

Cheers
DD

jeremiahjaguar (02-15-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was eyeing that thing on cl as a companion to my 1996 xjr, congrats man they are wonderful

Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by mmeawad
I was eyeing that thing on cl as a companion to my 1996 xjr, congrats man they are wonderful
Well its still available as i passed...

It ran and drove, good oil pressure Cold A/C, all interior stuff functioning, a real nice interior acrtually, but littered with chassis issues..

not rusty but just a ton of chassis work needed...

ran good and tranny shifted nice in normal and sport mode...

lots of little things to dick with though....

sopunded like the car was coming apart underneath... the tranny mount was non existent, front end needs a complete...leaking rack, not pouring but wet...leaking a bit of oil too not drippin on the ground but wet on the bottom...

i took it to a garage not far from the guys house, and put it up on the lift, the shop owner was dool as hell and gave me his LED lead light and all and i had as long as i wanted to look it over... he asked for 15 bucks and i thre him a 20 everyone was happy except the guy that owned the car

As i then passed, probably woulda took it for 1500, but glad i didnt..as i have firmed up a deal going on a 2001 XJR , with 420 RWHP...

I just said screw it and piad up for a done nice car, in the color combo i wanted, and with the performance mods i wanted...

Flyin out and driving home in a few days here as soon as i can schedule it..

Cleaning up a few things at my shop and i'm outta here to go pick her up

Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck with your purchase I hope it works out for you, it seems the x308 is hit or miss for many people, some swear by them others won't come near them again.