XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR6 Suspension Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 02:44 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default XJR6 Suspension Problem

I have an 96 XJR6, Lately i been hearing clunking noises from the rear of the car, specificly the left rear. The clunk happens everytime when the road is uneven and when the car is parked, if i pushed the rear downward the clunking is there. Now...I suspect it might be the shock? but i would like some opinion before i go all out on that one, is there any other component i should check for ?that might cause such noise?

I know for shocks i have the options of bilstein or oem boge or monroe. I'm wondering do they all come with new washer and bushings and nut?

Last edited by FrozenApple; 08-01-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

It is definitely a bonus that you can induce the noise when the vehicle is stationary. Having been through a catalogue of rear end noises, I could never replicate them when stationary, which made diagnosis rather haphazard. The XJRs are particularly fond of consuming the lower rear shock absorber bushes, which can be replaced separately from the shocks, and these make a distinctive noise when going over bumps, but I could never reproduce the sound when stationary. Have you checked the exhaust isn't fouling anywhere? I would certainly plan to spend some time below the car with an assistant pushing downwards to replicate the sound, allowing it to be located.
Good luck!

Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

9 out of 10 times it is the rear bushings for the shocks, now whether lower or upper.... but if they've never been replaced the foam uppers are surely gone to dust by now.

If it is the top shock bushings, you might as well change out the upper rear spring bushing too.

The following users liked this post:
MountainMan (08-03-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Bilstein always come with a foam bushing, exactly like the original foam bushing

Old 08-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cool
Bilstein always come with a foam bushing, exactly like the original foam bushing
Yep, and they come with bottom bushing too. For the rear shocks everything you need.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Yep, and they come with bottom bushing too. For the rear shocks everything you need.

Thats good to know, what about the spring pads u mentioned? is that from jaguar only?

Old 08-01-2015, 12:59 PM

9 out of 10 times it is the rear bushings for the shocks, now whether lower or upper.... but if they've never been replaced the foam uppers are surely gone to dust by now.

If it is the top shock bushings, you might as well change out the upper rear spring bushing too.
also, where would you buy bushings only?

Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

The spring bushings have to be purchased separately.

Here is a link to all the part numbers you need:

Damper and Spring Fittings-Rear - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Also, if you do a quick search on "rear shocks" here you'll find a few "how to" threads.

Once you identify the part numbers you need, you can Google them from a number of our sponsors and also check eBay and Amazon for good prices.

It's a big job BTW, took me a whole weekend, but it is do-able for a good DIY mechanic with access to the right tools. If you aren't comfortable compressing and pulling springs, you will want to have a shop do it.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:13 PM

The spring bushings have to be purchased separately.

Here is a link to all the part numbers you need:

Damper and Spring Fittings-Rear - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Also, if you do a quick search on "rear shocks" here you'll find a few "how to" threads.

Once you identify the part numbers you need, you can Google them from a number of our sponsors and also check eBay and Amazon for good prices.

It's a big job BTW, took me a whole weekend, but it is do-able for a good DIY mechanic with access to the right tools. If you aren't comfortable compressing and pulling springs, you will want to have a shop do it.

haha yeah gonna have to tackle this one myself, damn why cant this be a mazda! seems so pita, the clunking is driving me mad so im gonna have to replace it regardless. oh take a look at the price, does it sound right?

Old 08-01-2015, 03:13 PM

All price are converted from usd to cad so .. it looks expensive lol and do you think that would cover pretty much all there is? lol I really do not want to do it again 1 month down the road.

Last edited by FrozenApple; 08-01-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've often used Parts Geek and have been happy with their prices and selection: Discount Auto Parts Online -- PartsGeek.com - Domestic & Import Auto Parts Warehouse

Old 08-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

I replaced parts 4, 5 and the shocks which included all the other bushings.

I went with the Bilsteins.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 AM

I replaced parts 4, 5 and the shocks which included all the other bushings.

I went with the Bilsteins.

Excellent! then i got the right parts,how long did both rear took you? was it a real pita?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

There is a very good article by "black onyx" which shows step by step what to do, and enables the shocks to be removed and replaced without removing driveshafts or hubs, which the manual recommends. I used this method, and can assure you it works. The only PITA in my case was extracting the lower shock mounting bolt, but my No1 persuading tool (large) achieved it in the end. Otherwise a fairly straightforward job, and well worth the effort.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

The job took me a day and a half, almost two really. The first shock (LH, drivers) took FOREVER to get out as I had never done it before on the X300. The second took a lot less time, probably a couple hours.

In a similar way putting them back in was quicker and the second spring/shock went faster, but it still took a couple hours per even once I was "good at it".

It was a PITA for sure, but worth doing yourself for peace of mind. I had scarred and bruised up forearms for days after. But I'd do it again (although hope I don't have to).

The only thing that would "scare" me again was compressing the springs. I still get nervous about that, having them so close to me and having to man-handle them while compressed to get them out and back in was worrisome. If I do have to do this again, I'm getting some better compressors that give me a little more confidence.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM

The job took me a day and a half, almost two really. The first shock (LH, drivers) took FOREVER to get out as I had never done it before on the X300. The second took a lot less time, probably a couple hours.

In a similar way putting them back in was quicker and the second spring/shock went faster, but it still took a couple hours per even once I was "good at it".

It was a PITA for sure, but worth doing yourself for peace of mind. I had scarred and bruised up forearms for days after. But I'd do it again (although hope I don't have to).

The only thing that would "scare" me again was compressing the springs. I still get nervous about that, having them so close to me and having to man-handle them while compressed to get them out and back in was worrisome. If I do have to do this again, I'm getting some better compressors that give me a little more confidence.

lol ****, ok i see how difficult it is now gonna leave a whole day just for the 2 rears, prob gonna tackle it a week from now , waiting for parts at the moment

Old 08-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, give yourself plenty of time. I didn't have a spare car available at the time and was out in my driveway after midnight on Sunday getting the final side back together as it needed to get me to work the next day!

Old 08-03-2015, 05:37 PM

Yeah, give yourself plenty of time. I didn't have a spare car available at the time and was out in my driveway after midnight on Sunday getting the final side back together as it needed to get me to work the next day!

Yup sounds about right, and one last question for u Al, which method did you go with? the one back blackvdp or black onyx?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FrozenApple
Yup sounds about right, and one last question for u Al, which method did you go with? the one back blackvdp or black onyx?
Not sure, but I did not drop the A frame.....

I just took off the wheels, brakes, then compressed the springs and then removed the shocks and spring seats.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member

The black onyx way has a few advantages in my view:
1) A well documented and illustrated set of instructions online, which actually work.
2) The brakes don't need to be touched.
3) No spring compressor is required.
Number 3) is the most compelling, as it is difficult to attach spring compressors convincingly to the rear springs.
Removing the A frame isn't a big deal, and given the work you are proposing, it would be a pity not to at least check over the A frame bushes themselves, as they are a wear item.