XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Best brake pads (for spirited driving) for 2002 XJR

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 279 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Best brake pads (for spirited driving) for 2002 XJR

I took my 2002 XJR out for some "spirited" read ***** out performance testing and am quite underwhelmed with the brake fade. Mine does not have the R1 package, but has the same size rotors as my 2002 XJ8.

My 2002 XJ8 outbrakes my R on repeated stopping, so I'm ***-u-ming my R has some underperforming pads on it.

Anybody try EBC red stuff pads? That looks attractive to me right now...

I'm not interested at this time to change to bigger brakes just yet, I would first like to try better pads. The car is not normally going to be subjected to road race conditions, just once in a great while.

Suggestions? Part numbers prices and suggested places of purchase are greatly appreciated

Can anyone tell me the specs for stock rotor thickness? Mine has a bit of a ridge, just wondering if I should replace the rotors too yet?

Last edited by WaterDragon; 07-20-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:28 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I can recommend the EBC Redstuff pads. I bought mine online from camskill.co.uk, but you'll probably get a better price somewhere closer to you. I'd also recommend a fluid change to further prevent fading. And check that the brake cooling ducts are still in place... one of mine was missing the flange that holds it in the wheel well.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Pagid DS2500 these are standard for fast cars period.

Also heard good things about the Hawk ceramics, and Akibono ceramics.

Red stuff are decent enough pads but there's better out there.

Sent you a p.m. about braided hoses and an idea....

Old 07-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I have ebc redstuff and I drive my car very hard very frequently. they have almost 15,000 miles on them and are still fine

Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member

Hello all,

Thank you for all your input. I already did put in fresh fluid when I bought the car a few months ago.

I'm going to do a bit more searching and post again with my choice.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 07-21-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

My memory is saying that the OE pads are made by Jurid -- a big supplier to BMW .... I have a set of rotors and pads in my garage that I'm going to install when I switch to my winter tires in a few months -- so I just looked at them and I think it is Jurid.

The problem I have always found with the "performance" pads: They have bad initial grip when compared to OE ......you need to apply greater force to achieve normally braking performance when they are cold ...... and that is most of the time.

What are the tires like -- normally makes a huge difference. I'm in a hilly area with mine about 6 months of the year and I don't have a fade problem.

With any kind of a ridge -- you are most likely looking at new rotors. Get good ones --- The Jaguar front end is a bit touchy and the rotors supplied from the dealer are a balanced set.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

I took off some wheels today and found the front rotors were very worn and the pads were almost gone, so this could explain the poor performance.

I've ordered a set of EBC vented front rotors and EBC red stuff pads all around. I thought I would try this before spending any big money on any bigger upgrades. I will post again when they have been installed and the pads are properly bedded and "tested"

Old 07-21-2012, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
Pagid DS2500 these are standard for fast cars period.

Also heard good things about the Hawk ceramics, and Akibono ceramics.

Red stuff are decent enough pads but there's better out there.

Sent you a p.m. about braided hoses and an idea....
Interesting set you have from the bullet proofed car. I'm going to first try the low dollar upgrade and see how I like it since I rarely step on the brakes hard more than once or twice a minute.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Didn't like the Redstuff at all, they also needed to be hot to work well, so not a good choice if you don't use them too often. When confronting EBC with this, they advised me to use the Yellow Stuff. Never used that but on paper it did show a higher friction coefficient, also at colder temps. Have used Pagids 421 they were great in breaking power.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:41 AM
Received 4,448 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I finally got around to putting a set of Redstuff pads & new OEM discs on the X-Type, haven't had a chance to really put them to work yet, but I did bed them in with heavy braking from progressively faster speeds, with the last stop from 120kmh down to about 5kmh & i was well impressed. But obviously they were warmed up by then!

The real test will be from 200kmh down to 120kmh, which was my big complaint about the OEM kit (ok they were pretty well worn out) you need good brakes on the German Autobahns...

I went to Redstuff on the recommendation of UK forum members...EBC is from the UK after all. A few have also gone to Yellowstuff but I was under the impression that they were more like trackday pads & would eat up your discs with regular round-town driving. Another reason I went for the Redstuff because they were half the price off ebay in the UK (incl shipping) compared to OEM pads bought locally in Switzerland!

New brakes are new brakes, if your discs & pads are knackered then new OEM parts will still be a big improvement...

Old 07-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
Didn't like the Redstuff at all, they also needed to be hot to work well, so not a good choice if you don't use them too often. When confronting EBC with this, they advised me to use the Yellow Stuff. Never used that but on paper it did show a higher friction coefficient, also at colder temps. Have used Pagids 421 they were great in breaking power.
This is the opposite of what I've seen in lots of other posts.
Hmmmm. Well they are already on their way so I will try them and post my results.
If I'm not happy with the pads I can try the 421s.

Last edited by WaterDragon; 07-22-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Did you do a full bleed on the brake fluid? Not sure if you know the full history of the vehicle -- it can make a bid difference if it has not been done in a long time.

I think you will find a need for greater brake force required with the red pads -- although ......... do you know what is currently installed?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Did you do a full bleed on the brake fluid? Not sure if you know the full history of the vehicle -- it can make a bid difference if it has not been done in a long time.

I think you will find a need for greater brake force required with the red pads -- although ......... do you know what is currently installed?

Yes we did a complete and full bleed with new DOT 4 fluid right after I bought the car a few months ago.

I have no idea what is currently installed but they are way past due to be changed.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

I just remembered that you posted that your XJR has low miles -- so it probably still has the original rotors ......

Mine is now at 55k and is ready for new rotors - but I had just the pads replaced at 26k -- The rotors were fine. Normally if I am below 1/2 new I replace the rotors with the pads.

I asked about the fluid because it is so often overlooked -- I don't know how many owners your car has had ... but many times second owners don't perform the fluid changes and they can make a difference.

My track days are few and far between and I'm doing 50's stuff at this point -- so it's downshifting rather than playing with different pads

Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
I just remembered that you posted that your XJR has low miles -- so it probably still has the original rotors ......

Mine is now at 55k and is ready for new rotors - but I had just the pads replaced at 26k -- The rotors were fine. Normally if I am below 1/2 new I replace the rotors with the pads.

I asked about the fluid because it is so often overlooked -- I don't know how many owners your car has had ... but many times second owners don't perform the fluid changes and they can make a difference.

My track days are few and far between and I'm doing 50's stuff at this point -- so it's downshifting rather than playing with different pads

True,

Too often you see guys with new vipers and corvettes at the track with stock (cheap) DOT3 fluid that boils after only a few hard stops, then no brakes and PACK! into the wall. Happens way too often.

Since I rarely do anything that resembles road racing with my XJR, I am hoping the vented rotors and Red stuff pads will be fine.

Thank you for your input.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

Am thinking of getting the Pagid R15 next, they sure look good on paper, just look at the friction range from cold to hot:
‘PAGID RS’ Material Specifications.

http://www.pagid-brake-pads.co.uk/pr...amic-based.php

Last edited by avos; 07-23-2012 at 12:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
plums (09-10-2012), Sean B (07-23-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 AM
Veteran Member

Just put the RS15 on, and oh boy what braking power, hands down the best I have ever had.

Will report back in a week or so.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
Just put the RS15 on, and oh boy what braking power, hands down the best I have ever had.

Will report back in a week or so.
Can't find any for my Alcon's.....but they must make them, they must!

Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Oh no, that would be terrible.

Have a look in the attachment, I see some alcons there.

Attached Thumbnails Best brake pads (for spirited driving) for 2002 XJR-alcon-pagid-rs15.jpg  
Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Update on the red stuff pads.

So far, so good, started out very squeaky... like the "nightingale floor" at Nijo castle in Tokyo..

Now, 100 miles later, they still squeak just a tiny bit some times. Excellent braking power, I'm not noticing any more pedal pressure needed. The brakes give me a sense of confidence that they could handle anything I am likely to throw at them on the street.

I'm not seeing any dust yet. The are rated very low dust. I'm going to test them for at least another 500 miles before I decide to try them on my wife's XJ8.

Quick Reply: Best brake pads (for spirited driving) for 2002 XJR